Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn’t disagree more.

I’d much rather see Silva/Brands properly access the situation & the players individually before making rash decisions.

It’s imperative we get the squad down to a sensible number. Can’t have 10-15 senior pros who’re not getting games causing a bad attitude around the squad. We need a tight, competitive group with no bad apples.

Besides, most of the business in any window is done in the last 2 weeks & most of that in the last 2 days. What’s the rush?

We’re alredy trying to box clever to help finance some sort of new stadium. Let’s give the lids some time.

There are lots of competing views on how Everton will conduct business this summer, Esk is normally very positive but is at the realist/negative end of that spectrum.

He said that we need to cut another 15 million p/a before we buy. If that proves to be true then I think we are in a bit of a spot of bother and the fan base will be quite frustrated. In truth I am not sure we will be able to do the figures quoted to be able to buy the players we need before August 9th.

If we assume: Schneiderlin 6 (million p/a) Williams 4, Bolasie 5, Mirallas 3, Tarasjah 1, Pennington 1, Browning 1, Galloway 1.5, Connolly 0.5, Martina 1.5.

Even if we got teams to pay all of the wages of the above by the 10th August we have around 10 million p/a to play with. 4-5 of that is on Tierney. Say 6 would be on Lozano (theoretically) we would have no money in the kitty left to buy a centre back, and a central midfielder (at for arguments sake 10 million p/a for the 2).

The best case scenario in that version of events is we move all of the above, many to foreign teams before our deadline is over (and significantly before their own deadline) and if we got teams to pay the entirety of their wages we could afford to bring 2 lads in. The worst case scenario is sides don't pay the full value of wages, we don't move some on in time and we have no flexibility to bring any lads in.

It's my opinion that Moshiri wouldn't risk such an approach. Having sacked Allardyce, attracted Brands and Silva he would really be selling them both down the river if he did. We ended up with 49 points last season and it would be an enormous risk if that is the plan.

It may well give some credence to the idea that lads like Baines may go if that's the case, as frankly the culling will have to go much deeper than we might hope?

It will be interesting anyway. In spite of his spending lots of fans remain quite ambivalent over Moshiri and I think if values which are brought in are not re-allocated to the new management team fans will turn.

Getting 15m wages off the books worth of players who don’t contribute and adding 22m wages of players who do is what I feel we will do.

Don’t think we will hit 22m in wages but that would be the allowance.

If we brought in 1 or 2, I’ll be happy.

That 15m is too steep unless money starts filtering to poo teams ASAP.

“My understanding” ESK’s words - could be what we all understand going off Brands comments about trimming the squad.

It’s his opinion we will remove wages before adding.

It’s my undertanding that if players who can improve us are identified - Silva/Brands wouldn’t jeopardise missing out on targets surely, just to reduce wages.

The wage reduction is a priority I accept that, but it’s not as black and white as Esk has made out. Surely?

They are the guys who we probably need to lose. Klaassen 5, Sandro 6, Besic 2 Niasse 2.5 would give us another 15 to play with. However I am hugely doubtful we would get the entirety of the first 2's wages covered in full.

At the maximum end that is 25 million on wages with us needing to shift 17 players in just over 30 days, while having time to bring our own players in. That's best case scenario. Can you see us managing to do that, when the European clubs have no need to work to the early August deadline?
I think we are going to be unsuccessful with the outs - we will try, but we are in a tough position. Can see possibly 1-2 permanents and 3-4 loans. At best. Think we what we want and what we get will be two very different things. I think what ever we do will still be an improvement, it’s just going to take a few windows to get where we want to be.

I think we are going to be unsuccessful with the outs - we will try, but we are in a tough position. Can see possibly 1-2 permanents and 3-4 loans. At best. Think we what we want and what we get will be two very different things. I think what ever we do will still be an improvement, it’s just going to take a few windows to get where we want to be.

This isn't a crazy feeling, but honestly, some of these guys aren't TERRIBLE players. It's more a matter of saying to them, "hey, we've got to register 25 players, you aren't going to be one of them...". That'll get them on the phone with their agents real quick.

This isn't a crazy feeling, but honestly, some of these guys aren't TERRIBLE players. It's more a matter of saying to them, "hey, we've got to register 25 players, you aren't going to be one of them...". That'll get them on the phone with their agents real quick.

I agree, some players will have underperformed for a variety of reasons. Neither Koeman or Allardyce seemed to be great motivators, I feel Silva could I still a bit more on the confidence and direction side - getting more from the players. We’ve missed that for a few years, the whole should be better than the sum of our parts. I feel Silva can surprise us in that regard.

We had a pretty good season in 16/17.

It was rank average and very dull

The mess we are in all goes back to whoever the hell thought Koeman was a fit for our club and then went so far as to chuck mega money at him. He should never have been in the running.

It put a shadow over the whole summer of splashing the cash last year. We finally had money and had an uninspiring dullard in charge.

A very damaging decision and one that means I really don't mind if this window is much more about clearing out crap and working with what we've got along with a couple of decent signings. We basically need to press the reset button and to slowly get back to the point where a big spend will mean an actual effort to bridge the gap to the top 4. Might be another couple of seasons.

But apart from that and on topic, please sign a playmaker.

I didn't say it's success. But it doesn't make it a bad season.

2004/2005 can't be counted as a success really, can it, in your book, considering we were dumped out at the first time of asking in qualifying?
We were dumped out in the 05/06 season. The 04/05 season seen us in the top 4.

That is the only season that can be seen as a huge success for us. Nothing else.

It was rank average and very dull

The mess we are in all goes back to whoever the hell thought Koeman was a fit for our club and then went so far as to chuck mega money at him. He should never have been in the running.

It put a shadow over the whole summer of splashing the cash last year. We finally had money and had an uninspiring dullard in charge.

A very damaging decision and one that means I really don't mind if this window is much more about clearing out crap and working with what we've got along with a couple of decent signings. We basically need to press the reset button and to slowly get back to the point where a big spend will mean an actual effort to bridge the gap to the top 4. Might be another couple of seasons.

But apart from that and on topic, please sign a playmaker.

Didn't we win eight home games in a row or something, scoring like 25 goals? We hammered City 4-0. We finished way above our nearest competitor.

It wasn't dull, really. It was a required step back in the right direction mate. We messed it up and regressed massively last year, while the top 5/6 all improved.

We were dumped out in the 05/06 season. The 04/05 season seen us in the top 4.

That is the only season that can be seen as a huge success for us. Nothing else.

I haven't said 'huge' success. But my point was that success is relative. I'd say those three consecutive seasons of finishing 6th, 5th and 5th (going far into the UEFA Cup and also getting to an FA Cup final) were good seasons.

My point in regards to the Champions League is that not qualifying for it anyway ultimately makes the 'success' of 04/05 meaningless, by your logic.

We need some signings, but last year showed signing four players early doors for £90m actually means very little.

Let Brands and Silva take their time in establishing how they want to go about it. They know more than you, or me, what they want.

Didn't we win eight home games in a row or something, scoring like 25 goals? We hammered City 4-0. We finished way above our nearest competitor.

It wasn't dull, really. It was a required step back in the right direction mate. We messed it up and regressed massively last year, while the top 5/6 all improved.

We had a great run yep but apart from that one game it was very dull as expected from such a manager. The football was utterly forgettable. He stabilised us a bit which was enough to keep us above the dross.

We should have gone for somebody long term at that point not an average short-termist. We have basically wasted two seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back