Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hope has to be that the new management team can somehow make this lot look good.

Not impossible but I’m certainly not expecting miracles this season. This is going to take a long time to sort out.
The knowledge that we'll probably, at best, be able to shift 4-5 of those players has really killed my optimism ahead of this season. I think it'll be a "let's give it a good go and finish mid-table somewhere" type of season.

No one heard anything about Mori possibly leaving and he got snipped out instantly, People worrying too much. Brands is a proper professional not like Walsh just leave it to him. Realistically we're bringing about 3-4 in anyway which shouldn't take long I hope.

Didn't even mention the crock McCarthy (big wages, constantly injured, at least one year left on contract), Stekelenberg (wasn't even fancied as a backup goalkeeper last season) or Pennington (same as Galloway/Browning). Horrific, as you say. Literally half of our entire squad is not even Championship standard yet on a top Premier League player wage.
The same Mccarthy that got a bad leg break while playing for this club?

The knowledge that we'll probably, at best, be able to shift 4-5 of those players has really killed my optimism ahead of this season. I think it'll be a "let's give it a good go and finish mid-table somewhere" type of season.

Maybe. But I think it’s important to get behind Brands and Silva.

It’s not their fault we’re in this position. Just think people need to be a bit more realistic in their expectations.

Maybe. But I think it’s important to get behind Brands and Silva.

It’s not their fault we’re in this position. Just think people need to be a bit more realistic in their expectations.
Yep, you're right. We all just desperately want to see the club improve, but the reality is we may have to accept us treading water for a year or two to see us a) make progress on the stadium and be b) get rid of the huge amount of trash we have within our ranks.

People moaning that we can't sell half the squad of players we think are rubbish but have a go that our best players don't stay because we have a squad full of rubbish and want to win things.

WOW! And don't you dare go on about AMBITION
because the majority of you are happy clapping players with Gravesen, Heitinga, Besic but boo'd the crap out of Lukaku and Stones plus moaned that a 30 year old Arteta wanted to win something and earn one last big payday and cryed when Shaquri or Rasmus Elm didn't sign!

Yes we are a successful club but we haven't been for years so we need to re-evaluate our club status and work to become better.

Silva and Brands have been here a week and Moshri has done more for the club then Blue Bill or Johnson have EVER DONE!

I think it's time Evertonians instead of attacking the club from within ACTUALLY supported it in the present instead of the past.

To live in the past, is to die in the present.

I haven’t seen this much fight in you since Chartlon Athletic (H) when we annihilated that fella on the Carlton bus Bahahaha. x

I have to admit having serious concerns about our lack of transfer activity.

The general concensus is that both Manager and Director of Football were sounded out many months ago and thus would have had the chance to see our miserable season come to its end and run the rule over players well in advance.

A blind man could see we have far too big a squad filled with players whose best days are long behind them (namely Jagielka and Williams), players who do not belong at this level (Browning, Galloway, Mirallas, Besic, Bolasie) or expensive flops (Klaassen, Sandro if you take into account his wages). That's 9 players without me even thinking about it for longer than about 10 seconds.

All we have been able to do is shift Rooney.

We limped home to a top half finish last season and fan morale was probably at a 20-year low, yet zero progress has been made in terms of strengthening a clearly too-weak squad.

I see one of these things being the case, which is extremely concerning if points 1, 2 or 3 are the reality:

1. Manager and Director of Football are mostly satisfied with the players in the squad and just want to trim it down
2. Manager and Director of football did not have any idea about our players before they started officially for us
3. We are skint and need to sell to buy
4. We're working on loads of deals and it's just taking a long time

The season starts in 5 weeks, yet we have a huge squad, one that needs a major revamp, that had us finish a mere 5 or so points off the likes of Bournemouth and Crystal Palace who were touted for relegation for most of the season.

We now have until the 9th of August to purchase at least 3 players who can walk directly into our starting xi, plus sale at least 6 or 7 players who are taking a wage but providing absolutely nothing to the club.

Another farcical summer at Everton then.

We can sell to teams in europe until the end of august

Mirallas - even the damn awful Olympiacos didn't want to sign him permanently. Somehow still has at least a year on his contract with us and is going nowhere.

Besic - rubbish, even Middlesbrough didn't fancy him. Several years left, nobody will take him unless it's for free and we top up his wages.

Klaassen - not good enough, yet on sky high wages. Will need to take a massive loss and likely top up his wages at his next club.

Bolasie - not even League One standard but on wages that suggest he should be one of our very best players. Years left on his deal, nightmare and we're stuck with him.

Sandro - huge wages, he doesn't want to be here yet won't leave and has nobody who wants him.

Galloway/Browning - seem to have been here for years and years yet nobody will take them (because they are crap). Thankfully should be on relatively low wages at least.

Williams - finished at this level, insane wages, suffered a nasty injury, nobody will even look once at him, never mind twice. Stuck with him.

Jagielka - might be ok for another year to use in extreme emergencies, but really could do with shifting his wages to a better player who comes in.

Baines - huge wages, finished at this level but could be good backup as we clearly won't sign two left backs. I see no chance of him going.

Martina - useless player with a decent attitude. Says it all that even Southampton didn't want him. He'll be staying unfortunately.

So you are stating everyone is on huge wages, yet in other posts claiming we need to add players. That would be insane until we shift 3 or 4 of these

I can see both sides on this to be fair. Clearly we need to shift some dead wood and free up some wages, I think we all understand that. On the other hand though, we do need to bring players in, because this squad has some serious issues which need addressing. If we can't bring players in until we've shifted a load more then we could be in for another very uncomfortable season, and it's no surprise that many fans aren't happy at that thought.

It should also be stated that if it's true that we are absolutely desperate to get people off the wage bill, it was a little silly of Brands to state it in public, because teams are going to bide their time and move late in the window knowing that we'll more than likely bite their hand off anyway. As many of the players may be moving abroad, that means they may not be moving until after our window shuts, leaving us unable to bring in the players we wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back