Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
No we don’t actually. Unless Richarlison is going be played as a second striker we have a massive Lukaku size void upfront still. That’s where my £50m would go!

Striker before CB in my opinion. I feel we could give our boys another half season assessment at the back before we toss one.

without a center back, one of jagielka or keane starts for us
without a centre mid, we'd have a (likely) midfield three of davies, gueye, and schneiderlin

tosun is a more than capable striker, and niasse appears to be staying. striker is nowhere near a priority position. the lukaku void was created by an over reliance on him and a failure to create a team with the funds we got for him. midfield and defence are much more problematic, we don't have the type of players there to facilitate the system Silva likes to play

I'm honestly not sure whether or not your post was sarcasm it was so clearly wrong?

No we don’t actually. Unless Richarlison is going be played as a second striker we have a massive Lukaku size void upfront still. That’s where my £50m would go!

Striker before CB in my opinion. I feel we could give our boys another half season assessment at the back before we toss one.

So you don't rate Tosun, despite the fact he came into a poor side and did ok. We are not in Europe, until christmas we have the league and league cup only. We don't need another CF if he is our main option and Niasse a back up. We are strengthening in other areas more needed, hence replacing Bolassie and Lookman with the kid from Watford, the left back we have been crying out for and a decent centre half.

We don’t need that position, why are we spending that much on this position when we need that position more, come on let’s be honest with our selves other than a few positions Coleman, Pickford, Walcott every other position needs an upgrade if we want to compete at the top end of the table.

Our war chest has opened and things are now happening let’s see where we are at come the end of the transfer window before losing our heads over the position of our first signing.

I think there are some outgoings scheduled for next week. If we get some dough (not much obviously, but maybe something like 20-30M) then it should balance Richarlison and Digne’s fees.

I still hold out hope for a midfielder (Barrios, Loftus-Cheek), Left-back (Digne), Centre-back (Mina) and a punt at a striker (Batshuayi)

You had never heard of him??? He is a French international.

That says more about you tbh mate, he has been around playing elite football for years.

That's a crappy thing to say mate

At least I'm being honest and not being a football hipster who pretends to know every foreign footballer ever. Didn't go to the World Cup did he, so the last time I realistically could have seen him was the Euros. Two years is an eternity in football and, to be honest, I don't remember him from then either

I bet there's plenty of French internationals you wouldn't know, but then you wouldn't admit that because you like acting superior

I think a front 3 of Tosun, Walcott and Richarlison could be quite productive. We were never going to replace Rom like for like

All this stuff about fees.

- Yes - £50m is too much for Richarlison. But we don't yet know the structure of the deal, and the context is that we essentially got their manager for free and we are paying a premium as a result because they hate us and are taking us to court.

- People comaparing the deal to the potential £55m Barcelona has bid for for Willian. Richarlison is 21 with an imeasurabl ceiling and potential - even at £50m - for significant resale value. Willian turns 30 in 3 weeks. Brilliant player, but that £55m is gone forever. No chance they will ever make it back.

- Liverpool fans crowing that they've bought Salah, Firmino and Mané for less than we will have bought Sigurdsson and Richarlison. The transfer market has changed significantly - essentially since the ridiculous Neymar deal and the added influence of the premier league TV deal. If Liverpool were buying Firmino and Mané now they'd be significant more - especially when you consider that they paid £75m for Van Dijk having spent half that on Mané 18 months before from the same club. Can you imagine what Southampton would have wanted for Mané now? It's not a fair or relevant comparison.

That's a crappy thing to say mate

At least I'm being honest and not being a football hipster who pretends to know every foreign footballer ever. Didn't go to the World Cup did he, so the last time I realistically could have seen him was the Euros. Two years is an eternity in football and, to be honest, I don't remember him from then either

I bet there's plenty of French internationals you wouldn't know, but then you wouldn't admit that because you like acting superior

...i’d never heard of him either until we were linked.

Be interesting if we are genuinely interested in Tierney or if it is paper talk. Regardless, I hope the consideration is as much about who would link better with Richarlison as it is about money. Digne looks classy on the ball (from the clips i’ve seen). I don’t see Richarlison as the same link player as Pienaar, it will be more about him getting at defenders and exploiting space behind the opposition back four.

I agree Tierney seems a more progressive signing, but who combines best with the wide man and the plans and for a back four is a key consideration. It’s about the playing strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back