Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see how anyone could look at our midfield and think the problem is the lack of a tough tackling number 8.

The problem is nobody can make a forward pass or carry the ball forward.

Our only decent games last year were with Rooney in deep midfield, and that only worked against the bottom clubs.

We need at least one decent passer in the style of Arteta and one ball carrier in the style of Barkley.

All the non-entities like Klaassen, McCarthy, Sigurdsson, Bolasie need to be sacrificied to get in the players we actually need. If we can find a buyer.

Bingo.

It's called "balance"

I don't see how anyone could look at our midfield and think the problem is the lack of a tough tackling number 8.

Our only decent games last year were with Rooney in deep midfield, and that only worked against the bottom clubs.

We need at least one decent passer in the style of Arteta and one ball carrier in the style of Barkley.

All the non-entities like Klaassen, McCarthy, Sigurdsson, Bolasie need to be sacrificied to get in the players we actually need. If we can find a buyer.

In all honesty, barkley had the capability to run forward with the ball, but actually did it less and less the longer he was here.
In fact I don’t think i’ve ever seen a player stood still with the ball between his feet as much as him, as his painfully slow football brain cranked into gear.

In all honesty, barkley had the capability to run forward with the ball, but actually did it less and less the longer he was here.
In fact I don’t think i’ve ever seen a player stood still with the ball between his feet as much as him, as his painfully slow football brain cranked into gear.

I reckon Sarri will love him.

You mean at Everton, which is the basis for your opinion.

To me, if you've shown you were a very good player for over 200 games in the German and English top flight and led his Iceland team to the Euros and World Cup, 27 mediocre games in our awful side last year with no striker and almost no supporting cast - he barely played with Walcott, Coleman, and Cenk - and being asked to play a deper wing role to cover for Cuco Martina doesn't make me think he's not a good player. Quite the opposite.

But you and others think the 27 games makes him medicore. Maybe I'm a little too well versed in statistical sampling and actually watch a lot of football outside of Everton, but I think that's just silly.

Much like Ricarlison was great the first half of the year, but when asked to defend and work like crazy when you've been playing football consistently for over a year, I think there's a pretty good reason for him to have slowed down a bit.

Doucoure has not much to do with Siggy, but my opinion on him is what I've seen in the PL, which is the same league Everton plays in last time I checked. He's fantastic. Pace, power, skill, touch, great in the tackle, covers a ton of ground, good passing range, amazing transition player, good in the air, strong on the ball, good decision maker, excellent shot, opportunistic, he's got everything IMO.
@RickyRyder ?

Yup. He never really had a #6, though, when he didn't have Capoue in there last year, it was almost like two 8 in that either of the two CMs could go from either box. I've heard some describe it as two DCMs even. But some here think he likes having a Morgan style, sit back and do nothing #6. I've not seen that to be the case.

But I will say this and I said it last year - Doucoure would completely transform our midfield. You put him in between or around Gana and Siggy...night and day. He's a true engine. I just think he'd be super expensive.

I don't want to get carried away, but Mina/Digne/Ricarlison/Doucoure/ and another CB that is mobile and can distribute would be an unreal window. Mix in the sales, assuming Klaassen goes and at least Williams, one of Bolasie/Sandro, Schiederlin, Martina, get a decent loan for Vlasic, and man, that's as good as it gets.

It would take time to gel, but this lineup has some serious potential:

Pickford
Digne
Mina
Holgate
Coleman
Gana
Doucoure
Siggy
Ricarlison
Walcott
Tosun

Bench:
Oumar
Lookman
Sandro
Davies
Keane/Jags
Besic/McCarthy/Beni
Stek
You mean at Everton, which is the basis for your opinion.

To me, if you've shown you were a very good player for over 200 games in the German and English top flight and led his Iceland team to the Euros and World Cup, 27 mediocre games in our awful side last year with no striker and almost no supporting cast - he barely played with Walcott, Coleman, and Cenk - and being asked to play a deper wing role to cover for Cuco Martina doesn't make me think he's not a good player. Quite the opposite.

But you and others think the 27 games makes him medicore. Maybe I'm a little too well versed in statistical sampling and actually watch a lot of football outside of Everton, but I think that's just silly.

Much like Ricarlison was great the first half of the year, but when asked to defend and work like crazy when you've been playing football consistently for over a year, I think there's a pretty good reason for him to have slowed down a bit.

Doucoure has not much to do with Siggy, but my opinion on him is what I've seen in the PL, which is the same league Everton plays in last time I checked. He's fantastic. Pace, power, skill, touch, great in the tackle, covers a ton of ground, good passing range, amazing transition player, good in the air, strong on the ball, good decision maker, excellent shot, opportunistic, he's got everything IMO.

I look at the Chelsea midfield now with Jorginho and Kante with Barkley ahead of them.

We have the poundshop Kante in Gana but we need the passer and the creative runner.

I think once we have Richarlison over the line and the LB + CB it will be interesting to see what happens.

If were looking at 5 or 6...that would take us to 2 or 3 more with 1 being a keeper.

I wonder what is imperative, surely it must be a DM + a CM but we were linked to Malcom, a RW.

As for balance in the centre, i think it will be interesting to see where Sigurdsson plays + if Dowell is his understudy or drops into a deep position.

Will we go for a super DM or is the approach going to be two box to box players with someone ahead.

All very interesting indeed.

Personally hope we go for a superstar DM to build our attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back