Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.

I watched a lot of Swansea games last year - I’ve had a soft spot for them for some reason. Anyway, Mawson was the benefit of a very defensive system in which the entire team tried to keep the ball away from the back line.

If we’re trying to sign any of them I’d go after Fernandez or Clucas.

Yep, as someone said it’s the same thing with Keane in Burnley’s set up.

I watched a lot of Swansea games last year - I’ve had a soft spot for them for some reason. Anyway, Mawson was the benefit of a very defensive system in which the entire team tried to keep the ball away from the back line.

If we’re trying to sign any of them I’d go after Fernandez or Clucas.
I just wanted to highlight here that there is a suggestion we go after Sam Clucas. Even though the quoted post is the only existing link I may start a transfer rumor thread for him because of how much fun it will be. I want to make my enthusiasm seem believable, but it's going to be difficult. I'm thinking of saying something like "exactly what we need in the midfield, really hope this happens." Any other suggestions?

Yes that’s kind of what I’m saying though? I would (reluctantly) accept finishing 8th again, but not lower because I don’t see how we could claim that was progress even if the football was easier on the eye.

If we were saying we would put our trust in Kenny, Robinson, Connolly, holgate, baningime, vlasic, dowell, lookman etc then a slight drop would be acceptable when balanced against the potential long term benefits of such a policy. There’s no sign of that happening though, and I don’t believe you can go out and spend £100m, go backwards in the league, and say it’s positive on any level.

We’ve had ‘jam tomorrow’ for years, and we need to stop the cycle in my opinion. Finish 10th this season, then the likes of Coleman, gueye and Walcott have gone that little bit past their best, Pickford wants out because we’re not going anywhere and suddenly we need another ‘transitional season’ while we sort those issues out. I’ve seen it before and people were saying the same things then about how it would all come good. I’m still waiting.

I’ve all but given up hope of us ever being REALLY good, so for me the absolute minimum I will accept is consistently being pretty good - best of the rest, getting into Europe, showing tangible signs of getting closer to the elite rather than just giving a vague impression of promise further down the line.

I don't think we've ever seriously planned for "jam tomorrow' though, other than paying lip service to it. I think Martinez used it as an excuse to get more time, Moyes didn't mention it much, while certain members of the board would sometimes trott it out as it diverted opinion. We never planned for it though.

I don't think we have done much planning for it this season, but Silva and particularly Brands are "plan tomorrow" people, though I don't think anyone else in the hierarchy is (possibly Sacha). So it's difficult. We are not pulling in the same direction. You've still got nobody who has really explain the vision of what they are trying to do and why, so it's easy to see why fans lose faith.

As it happens, if we play all of the younger players mentioned and see improvement we could get more points and finish lower. I'm happy enough with that this season. I think it's our best and perhaps only way to compete at the top for trophies. I'm not sure most of our fans will be happy, but I can't be hypocritical about it. That being said, as we get no contact from the club, it's hard to say if thats the plan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back