Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to agree. Like many others that have been mentioned, it's not that I don't think he's good enough, simply that I don't think he really solves any of our most obvious problems.

Yeh, if he comes I'll be fully behind him.

But our midfield lacks power, first and foremost, and also creativity.

Ideally, you combine those traits in one player but, realistically, we'll only be getting one or the other. Drinkwater doesn't really offer either...

I'd be happier with Gana shielding the back four and Drinkwater further forward...

... than Schneiderlin "shielding" and Gana further forward.

..it is understandable given the pre-season performances. Although there are players to come in, there was nothing to suggest the season is going to be anything other than a struggle.

It may take a while to acquire the types of players Silva wants, but in the meantime the accumulation of sufficient points might be a challenge. Saying that, I have a theory that a poor pre-season often precedes a good season. Fingers crossed, but the signs aren’t good.
The early season fixture list has been generally kind to us in this respect, we need to do the business in our home games early doors, to give Silva some breathing space.

Our biggest problems in midfield that I can see are we lack penetration going forward and then have tended to be very vulnerable to any counters once possession inevitably breaks down.

Therefore anyone who can reinforce and also release players shouldn’t be the worst idea in the world?

He did well alongside Kanté when he had runners to aim at. We have Gana and pace on the wings; admittedly it’s uncertain how things would work otherwise with Iceland and Tosun to aim at ahead of him in the centre.
I think the vulnerability on the counter has tended to be caused by a lack of creativity going forward, meaning we push more players forward in order to force an opening. The likes of Gana, McCarthy, Besic etc are well capable of stopping attacks if that's the job you give them, but last year we were asking them to get forward aswell, meaning we had no cover. Increasing our attacking threat will solve both problems in my opinion.

I know it's not fashionable to say it because we're all supposed to hate him, but if he's fit and got his head on it, Schneiderlin is actually a very good player. Drinkwater is a similar player to him I think, and if they're both at their best I'd take Schneiderlin every time. Obviously his attitude can be questioned, but if he's playing like he was in his first 6 months he's a much better player than Drinkwater.

For me, we need someone in midfield who can carry the ball forward, creating space and getting people backing away. That can either be in the style of a Barkley motoring forward quickly and slaloming or in the style of an Arteta, neither quick nor powerful but an excellent dribbler and with the ability to get out of tight spaces. Drinkwater is neither.

..it is understandable given the pre-season performances. Although there are players to come in, there was nothing to suggest the season is going to be anything other than a struggle.

It may take a while to acquire the types of players Silva wants, but in the meantime the accumulation of sufficient points might be a challenge. Saying that, I have a theory that a poor pre-season often precedes a good season. Fingers crossed, but the signs aren’t good.

Watfords pre season results last summer under Silva

15 July 2017 AFC Wimbledon3–2Watford

18 July 2017 Viktoria Plzeň 0–1 Watford

22 July 2017 Eibar 0–1 Watford

26 July 2017 Watford 1–2 Rangers

29 July 2017 Aston Villa 0–0 Watford

5 August 2017 Watford 0–0 Real Sociedad

1 September 2017 Watford 4–2 Millwall

Defeats to Wimbledon, Rangers & draws against lower league Villa, a poor sociadad and a couple of scraped 1-0ers
(ignoring the random 1st of september game)

Pretty obvious Silva does not concentrate on results to much pre season, granted they are not 4-1 & 3-0 defeats but Silva had much longer time to work with the players, and Watford started the season all guns blazing

We all said 3/4 max in this summer, we have got 2 and they are both in positions we needed to upgrade significantly

I dont understand the meltdown, i dont understand people saying we need 5/6 in? yes we need a centre back (which we are trying to do). yes we need a centre mid (which we are trying to do.
For me, that should be it until January

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back