Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rondon is a big lump, who occasionally score a worldee Dave.

More suited to Allardyce than Marco`s sexy football ( that we`re yet to see )
I'm not advocating we build a team around him. Just have a big lad who can frighten a defence and get them doing things that get them out of their comfort zone later in a game.

Seems simple to me.

I stand by my assessment that Koeman - having spent £250M - left us with players capable only of playing Championship quality football.

How is that even a matter of conjecture?

We finished 8th so we were better than that.

Regardless, we are going to recoup some of that money, so it's not like we are completely hosed. I think everyone knew that at a minimum we needed a ST and LB/CB at the end of the window and it wasn't delivered. No question we spend too much on players and even acquired a few we didn't need.

That being said, all that matters now is how it affects us going forward and I don't think it'll end up hurting us that badly. Sure, we lost some cash on Klaassen, but Lookman is worth 3 times what we paid, Onyenkuru is worth probably the same, etc. Still think we will see a significant net spend again this summer and get some cash back on some of these sales.

Missed opportunity? Of course. End of the world? No. It's still a positive that we have an owner willing to invest in the squad.

It's a different type of player: scores as many as Niasse and creates more space / gives a game a different dynamic. He's an upgrade on Niasse, no question.
Regardless of him being an upgrade, he's a different type of player. Bigger, strong, can play as a target, which actually would be helpful against some club. You can never underestimate the value of players off the bench that can satisfy tactical adjustments.

So I'm with Davek, I think he's better than Oumar. But I'm okay with Oumar for now only because I think we have bigger issues.

West Ham are doing my head in with the quality of their business this window. I really hope they do a repeat of what we experienced and have an 'exciting window/terrible season'. But with Yarmalenko on board, I can't see it.

Dunno, think they are making the same mistakes we did (albeit not quite as bad) in that they are buying lots of players in the latter half of their career, who are joining for money, and most of whom play in a similar position.

We finished 8th so we were better than that.

Regardless, we are going to recoup some of that money, so it's not like we are completely hosed. I think everyone knew that at a minimum we needed a ST and LB/CB at the end of the window and it wasn't delivered. No question we spend too much on players and even acquired a few we didn't need.

That being said, all that matters now is how it affects us going forward and I don't think it'll end up hurting us that badly. Sure, we lost some cash on Klaassen, but Lookman is worth 3 times what we paid, Onyenkuru is worth probably the same, etc. Still think we will see a significant net spend again this summer and get some cash back on some of these sales.

Missed opportunity? Of course. End of the world? No. It's still a positive that we have an owner willing to invest in the squad.
Koeman and his criminal spending are going to be our 2008 crash moment: the full effects wont be seen for years and it's a tortuous road back to financial stability.

Regardless of him being an upgrade, he's a different type of player. Bigger, strong, can play as a target, which actually would be helpful against some club. You can never underestimate the value of players off the bench that can satisfy tactical adjustments.

So I'm with Davek, I think he's better than Oumar. But I'm okay with Oumar for now only because I think we have bigger issues.
Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back