35. Lookman (LW) 20
  36. Bolasie (LW) 29
  37. Mirallas (LW) 30 ❌ (loan)
  38. Onyekuru (LW) 21 ❌ (loan)
  39. Tosun (ST) 27
  40. Calvert-Lewin (ST) 21
  41. Niasse (ST) 28

In: 2 (Richarlison, Digne)

Out: 10 (Robles, Funes Mori, Rooney, Garbutt, Onyekuru, Tarashaj, Klaassen, Williams, Robinson, Mirallas)

Current Total: 31
Would not be at all surprised to see Vlasic, Galloway, Pennington and Browning all out -likely on loans. That gets it down to 27, 2 in makes 29. Would be a nice summer really if the 2 in are quality.

Also, excellent work with this @Sona!

I wouldn't say no to another CB, that's for sure. I'm alarmed though (for the second season running) at how gummy we look up front. I cant see too many PL teams looking at Tosun and getting cold sweats.

richarlison, Walcott, Lookman, they’re good players but none too prolific, sigurdsson might chip in with a few.

It’s a worry

There is probably a far greater likelihood now of us needing to resort to the likes of Julien and Mbodj for CB, those are the sort of players that will be happy to join us late and knowing they were a fallback option, there won't be obstacles put in their way, whilst their clubs will have another three weeks to find a replacement.

Its a very difficult balancing act between holding out for Mina and having to compromise and get someone else in. The question is always how good will the Plan B / C signing turn out to be? If Brands and Silva have done their homework, they should still be good enough. What I would not accept is to be told how hard they tried, and tried but failed to get at least one CB in. The aim is to improve the first team and squad, and that ceiling should present several options. If we were defending champions or realistically aiming for the top four, then the bar would be higher. But as it is, improving on the players there already should not be hard.

If that means Rojo, then fair enough as long as he is genuinely considered to be the next best option. But in that scenario I would prefer someone a bit younger with a lot of development potential.
Could possibly get Jullien or Mbodji on the right and Stark or Hinteregger on the left for the price of either Mina, Rojo or Lascelles. Jullien or Mbodji would add the size and either of the Germans passing ability. Brands just needs to know if they are good enough.

Still I don’t think it is any bigger of a gamble than signing Mina (which I view as a risk).

Of the three most commonly linked CBs only Lascelles is worth the money being discussed.

I wouldn't say no to another CB, that's for sure. I'm alarmed though (for the second season running) at how gummy we look up front. I cant see too many PL teams looking at Tosun and getting cold sweats.
Personally, when Cenk has had adequate service he's looked a competent finisher who can make and finish chances; he's certainly not an easy opposition either.

The problem was that he was often left isolated up front with very little decent service: long punted balls and very few passes to feet or with movement.

Admittedly, he's not a world beater by any stretch of the imagination and I do feel we need other options up front, but with the right play he will give a fair return.

Our real problem is that our play was, and continues to be, a style that offers little or no creativity and a lot of that I lay on the toes of having a lacking midfield.

Personally, when Cenk has had adequate service he's looked a competent finisher who can make and finish chances; he's certainly not an easy opposition either.

The problem was that he was often left isolated up front with very little decent service: long punted balls and very few passes to feet or with movement.

Admittedly, he's not a world beater by any stretch of the imagination and I do feel we need other options up front, but with the right play he will give a fair return.

Our real problem is that our play was, and continues to be, a style that offers little or no creativity and a lot of that I lay on the toes of having a lacking midfield.

Fear not, as dead ball Siggy will save us all :hayee:

I dont see him getting high teens scoring-wise. And Walcott and Richarlison aren't prolific. More than anything though we need a change of pace in a game if our game plan has hit the buffers. I dont see how we do that with the type of forward players we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back