Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we have pace but we have players who tend to go for cameo performances. It troubles me that I dont see a forward line that has chemistry.
I suppose it's very difficult to find chemistry without playing together and forming that understanding. It might take a while to do, but we're not far away in terms of acceptable options across the front 4.

I think our focus has to be CB first. I'd only bring in a forward player if the deal is amazing in our favour. I expect Dowell, Sandro and Lookman will be used as subs across 3 positions behind the Striker with DCL and Niasse backing up Tosun. Some of those could be better, but miles more depth than defensive positions.

Last edited:
We need variety. If the quality of our attackers is so-so, then we need to be able to mix it up a bit.

I think it's a solid mix. We won't be able to get a 20+ a season Lukaku replacement unless we scout and drop on someone cheap.

But I think we've got a good variety with Niasse and DCL too.

The problem is creating chances. If we're creating and not scoring, there's a problem. But at the moment it'll be the opposite until we sort out that midfield.

But I've always said, you'll be talking next season to improve a forward line IMO

Increasingly likely that Keane and Jagielka start at Wolves next week (or possibly Holgate gets a spot). Either way, it doesn't fill you with confidence.
So, it is what it is now. The main thing is to get at least one (hopefully two) centre backs in by 5pm on Thursday.

I that was a symptom of how bad our defense was.

Big Sam knew they couldn’t defend space so he had them drop off and defend deep so there was no space.

This meant the midfield had to cover 2/3rds of the pitch effectively turning sigurdsson into an extra full back and Rooney dropping into the Centre circle.

Our central defenders can’t bring the ball out either so our midfield gets bypassed.

I don’t like Sam but it was the right call because we stopped conceding.

I don’t think Silva will allow our Centre backs the same luxury. On the plus side we now have the players to deliver The high pressing game up the other end of the pitch but because of that OUR defense will be under more pressure than ever.

We need a different kind of center back if not two

...and a finisher up the other end to punish mistakes created by pressing

This is fine, but again, Silva is a counter attacking coach who does not usually press high.

Regardless, he does want his outside back pushing up in attack, so there are going to be more times where the center backs have to defend someone in space, so having them not be statues would be nice.

Having a central midfielder next to Gana who could actually stay with a quicker attacker would also be nice. Scheniderlin is almost worthless out there trying to stay with anyone of pace. I just don't see what he gives us other than he has a pass in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back