Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incorrect, they had Giroud in the building. Once he turned us down, Koeman didn't want anyone else and felt Vlasic, Rooney, Siggurdson and Sandro would be enough up front.
I think the reality was that Giroud was a panic late afterthought when his bright idea of a team that doesn't rely on an out and out attacker exploded in his face in the pre-season and early season.

He thought he could be clever with a pop gun attack plus goals from midfield and he fell on his face.

CBA trying to find the interview, but that's pretty much a direct quote from Koeman.

The fat head didn't get what he wanted and decided against getting anyone else.

Yeah but I suspect his hands were tied in what he could get away with saying afterwards. Was hardly going to lambast his employer.

I like the new thread title update,
tenor.gif

Incorrect.

Koeman was on record repeatedly as saying he wanted four in, before we eventually brought one in.

Edit. Here: https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/who-let-everton-koeman-down.91244/

"We had Olivier Giroud in the building,” explained Koeman. “He would have fitted perfectly, but at the very last moment he decided that he’d rather live in London and stay at Arsenal.That was really hard to swallow. You tell me, where you can get a better striker?”

Lukaku was so important for us, not just because of his goals. He had a certain way of playing as a striker — strong. He could hold the ball, he always had an eye for the goal, he was fast. If things were not going well in a game, if we could not play the way we were used to, there was always the option to use the long ball towards him.

“All of a sudden [after Giroud’s decision], we were missing such a player. With Nikola Vlasic and Wayne Rooney, we had attackers who want the ball at their feet.”

“When you are struggling as a team with the build-up from the back, and we no longer had the option to kick it long, you know you have a problem.”

As usual there was no other options apparently

Gonna be mad on here next 4-5 days were all on agreement what we need two domineering nasty defenders a midfielder who can drive ! And if I’m greedy a centre forward of great mobility! Rodrigo for Valencia looked just the player I’d have with Richarlison and Walcott...Tosun finish superb attack very good,flanks decent despite Coleman/Sandro horrific error...Digne and Walcott will dovetail fantastic just want more presence ...Sigurdsson? Not sure he can do what Marco wants is there a place in a fast paced counter attacking side for Gylfi I have my reservations

Silva's quotes spund like Koemans from last season. Hopefully Brands does his job better thsn Walsh.

It’s like Groundhog Day.

Yet another manager calling on the board to make the signings he has asked for.

The board need to concentrate on improving the team rather than lavish luxury offices.

Get your priorities right for god sakes.

"We had Olivier Giroud in the building,” explained Koeman. “He would have fitted perfectly, but at the very last moment he decided that he’d rather live in London and stay at Arsenal.That was really hard to swallow. You tell me, where you can get a better striker?”

Lukaku was so important for us, not just because of his goals. He had a certain way of playing as a striker — strong. He could hold the ball, he always had an eye for the goal, he was fast. If things were not going well in a game, if we could not play the way we were used to, there was always the option to use the long ball towards him.

“All of a sudden [after Giroud’s decision], we were missing such a player. With Nikola Vlasic and Wayne Rooney, we had attackers who want the ball at their feet.”

“When you are struggling as a team with the build-up from the back, and we no longer had the option to kick it long, you know you have a problem.”

Exactly?

So they never replaced him/Koeman wanted a replacement. The quotes you've provided is him saying they needed to replace Lukaku to offer something else, not this;

Incorrect, they had Giroud in the building. Once he turned us down, Koeman didn't want anyone else and felt Vlasic, Rooney, Siggurdson and Sandro would be enough up front.

As usual there was no other options apparently
Where there does he even vaguely hint at not wanting anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back