Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because “immovable” literally means they are incapable of being moved. Even if you don’t take the very literal meaning of the word, your insinuation was that the players bought last year were so bad that no other clubs would want them and we would be stuck with them, because they are, you know - immmovable.

So, were you wrong in your assessment of those players and all Brands has done is move on some players that weren’t that bad after all, or were you right in that the business was terrible last year and Brands has done a good job in moving players on that you yourself described as “immovable”?
Seems you’re taking opposing views again and trying to make them fit different agendas, Dave :coffee:
Immovable tat that we'll struggle to get rid of? Erm, there's 13 there we haven't "got rid of". That's my point!!

Which leaves us with a final squad of:

1. Pickford (GK) 24
  2. Stekelenberg (GK) 35
  3. Joao Virginia (GK) 18
  4. Coleman (RB) 29
  5. Kenny (RB) 21
  6. Digne (LB) 25
  7. Baines (LB) 33
  8. Mina (CB) 23
  9. Zouma (CB) 23
  10. Jagielka (CB) 36
  11. Keane (CB) 25
  12. Holgate (CB) 21
  13. Browning (CB) 24
  14. Galloway (CB) 22
  15. Gueye (DM) 28
  16. Baningime (DM) 19
  17. Schneiderlin (DM) 28
  18. McCarthy (DM) 27
  19. Davies (CM) 20
  20. André Gomes (CM) 25
  21. Bernard (AM) 25
  22. Sigurdsson (AM) 28
  23. Dowell (AM) 20
  24. Walcott (RW) 29
  25. Richarlison (LW) 21
  26. Lookman (LW) 20
  27. Tosun (ST) 27
  28. Calvert-Lewin (ST) 21
  29. Niasse (ST) 28

Which leaves us with a final squad of:

1. Pickford (GK) 24
  2. Stekelenberg (GK) 35
  3. Joao Virginia (GK) 18
  4. Coleman (RB) 29
  5. Kenny (RB) 21
  6. Digne (LB) 25
  7. Baines (LB) 33
  8. Mina (CB) 23
  9. Zouma (CB) 23
  10. Jagielka (CB) 36
  11. Keane (CB) 25
  12. Holgate (CB) 21
  13. Browning (CB) 24
  14. Galloway (CB) 22
  15. Gueye (DM) 28
  16. Baningime (DM) 19
  17. Schneiderlin (DM) 28
  18. McCarthy (DM) 27
  19. Davies (CM) 20
  20. André Gomes (CM) 25
  21. Bernard (AM) 25
  22. Sigurdsson (AM) 28
  23. Dowell (AM) 20
  24. Walcott (RW) 29
  25. Richarlison (LW) 21
  26. Lookman (LW) 20
  27. Tosun (ST) 27
  28. Calvert-Lewin (ST) 21
  29. Niasse (ST) 28

No

Not having this discussion again.

Are they still at Everton Football Club? Yes.

Are they senior players? Yes.

Regardless of whether they’ve “been demoted” or are “U23 players”, they are still taking a wage from the club and still able to be selected for the first team.

And the difference between them and other youth team players is their first team experience.

Rather than nitpicking, just give my post a like will ya FFS!

..it takes 3 parties to agree a deal. The selling club have to agree to sell, the buying club have to want to buy and the player has to agree to go. Ok, this isn’t rocket science but it’s not easy moving players on, especially if they are on big contracts.

If the three factors don’t align, then loan deals have to be explored. Silva and Brands wanted to give the squad a big haircut and they’ve done that under difficult circumstances. I think they’ve done well in that respect.

Exactly. So no one has the foggiest whether Brands ahas made a series of great short term deals on 13 plkayers who have left the club without a fee so far, or whether he's just got them out the door by accepting terms that are way better for the receiving club than Everton.

Why is there an assumption here that Brands is had a storming summer? Even the players brought in so far are unable to be judged because we got them in so late and they're all fighting off injuries / getting match fit apart from Richarlison.
For me, the overriding need was to get the players Silva didn't want as part of his squad out of the door. Brands did this and TBH, for probably the first time ever in 50+ years, I agree with every decision that has been made as regards keeping/offloading players. Given the numbers involved I find that truly remarkable.

In an ideal world we would have offloaded more players on a permanent basis, and we also would have got higher fees for the players we sold. But due to the complete negligence of the previous regime that was always going to be an IMPOSSIBLE TASK and failure to do so cannot be placed at Brands feet.

Silva now has a compact talented squad to work with. That's the most important thing and as long as we haven't broken any financial rules in the process, or put the club in danger of collapse, I really can't give a toss about the financial side of things or your petty gripes against the club Dave.

I posted quite a lot that the team wasn’t as bad as was made out and we had a solid core to our first 11. I knew Silva could get a tune out if them and he has.

If we’d just signed Richarlson and loaned all the players out that we did, for free, I’d still think it was a successful window.

I’m sure if that was the case Dave would agree it was a very successful as that’s a considerable spend and he’s spent all summer telling us we’re skint and not got a pot to piss in.

He must be buzzing with how it’s turned out.
You are talking about Dave’s brother aren’t you ???

If you want to be a seller then there must be a buyer.... we all knew that they were going to be scarce for most of the players we wanted out of our squad .
These players had largely underperformed while at the same time on large salaries which put them out of the reach of many clubs.

Brands, this summer, more than anything had to main ambitions , to reduce the squad dramatically and to prune the wage bill drastically.

I think there is little doubt but that he has succeeded in both of these after moving something like eighteen players out of the club and bringing seven.... all of whom were to fills obvious gaps in the squad.
We are still undoubtedly paying some of the wages of some of our loan players but equally our wage bill will have reduced hugely from last season.

Marcel Brands will never be judged by how he dismantles the old squad but by how he builds a new one. He has made more than a good start but it will probably take five years before he can properly be judged.

Anybody criticising what he has done to date is just stupid.

So this the final squad list of the summer transfer window! Hopefully you’ve all found this of some use/ interest:

1. Pickford (GK) 24
  2. Robles (GK) 28 ❌
  3. Stekelenberg (GK) 35
  4. Joao Virginia (GK) 18 ⬅️
  5. Coleman (RB) 29
  6. Kenny (RB) 21
  7. Martina (RB) 28 ❌ (loan)
  8. Digne (LB) 25 ⬅️
  9. Baines (LB) 33
  10. Garbutt (LB) 25 ❌ (loan)
  11. Robinson (LB) 20 ❌ (loan)
  12. Mina (CB) 23 ⬅️
  13. Zouma (CB) 23 ⬅️
  14. Jagielka (CB) 36
  15. Williams (CB) 33 ❌ (loan)
  16. Keane (CB) 25
  17. Funes Mori (CB) 27 ❌
  18. Holgate (CB) 21
  19. Pennington (CB) 23 ❌ (loan)
  20. Browning (CB) 24
  21. Galloway (CB) 22
  22. Gueye (DM) 28
  23. Baningime (DM) 19
  24. Schneiderlin (DM) 28
  25. McCarthy (DM) 27
  26. Besic (DM) 25 ❌ (loan)
  27. Connolly (DM) 20 ❌ (loan)
  28. Klaassen (CM) 25 ❌
  29. Davies (CM) 20
  30. André Gomes (CM) 25 ⬅️
  31. Bernard (AM) 25 ⬅️
  32. Rooney (AM) 32 ❌
  33. Sigurdsson (AM) 28
  34. Dowell (AM) 20
  35. Tarashaj (AM) 23 ❌ (loan)
  36. Vlasic (RW) 20 ❌ (loan)
  37. Walcott (RW) 29
  38. Sandro (RW) 23 ❌ (loan)
  39. Richarlison (LW) 21 ⬅️
  40. Lookman (LW) 20
  41. Bolasie (LW) 29 ❌ (loan)
  42. Mirallas (LW) 30 ❌ (loan)
  43. Onyekuru (LW) 21 ❌ (loan)
  44. Tosun (ST) 27
  45. Calvert-Lewin (ST) 21
  46. Niasse (ST) 28

In: 7 (Richarlison, Digne, Joao Virginia, Bernard, Mina, André Gomes, Zouma)

Out: 17 (Robles, Funes Mori, Rooney, Garbutt, Onyekuru, Tarashaj, Klaassen, Williams, Robinson, Mirallas, Connolly, Vlasic, Martina, Besic, Bolasie, Sandro, Pennington)

Current Total: 29
I'd say that both Galloway and Browning are very much U23 players mate so I'd say the squad size is 27. Personally I think that's a perfect size and with 16 of them being 25 or younger and just 3 over 30, it's also a youthful squad compared to last year.

For me, the overriding need was to get the players Silva didn't want as part of his squad out of the door. Brands did this and TBH, for probably the first time ever in 50+ years, I agree with every decision that has been made as regards keeping/offloading players. Given the numbers involved I find that truly remarkable.

In an ideal world we would have offloaded more players on a permanent basis, and we also would have got higher fees for the players we sold. But due to the complete negligence of the previous regime that was always going to be an IMPOSSIBLE TASK and failure to do so cannot be placed at Brands feet.

Silva now has a compact talented squad to work with. That's the most important thing and as long as we haven't broken any financial rules in the process, or put the club in danger of collapse, I really can't give a toss about the financial side of things or your petty gripes against the club Dave.
There's no blame being attached. Is there any evidence of my saying he's to blame for anything?

I'm saying that we need to be cautious over claims he's had a great start to his job here purely on the basis that 15 players have left us.

I'd say that both Galloway and Browning are very much U23 players mate so I'd say the squad size is 27. Personally I think that's a perfect size and with 16 of them being 25 or younger and just 3 over 30, it's also a youthful squad compared to last year.
Isn’t Browning over 23?

Not having this discussion again.

Are they still at Everton Football Club? Yes.

Are they senior players? Yes.

Regardless of whether they’ve “been demoted” or are “U23 players”, they are still taking a wage from the club and still able to be selected for the first team.

And the difference between them and other youth team players is their first team experience.

Rather than nitpicking, just give my post a like will ya FFS!

Fraser Hornby still collects a wage and can be selected for the first team, whack him in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back