Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have we got any of that? Richarlison and Digne aside we’re horrific.

Im not quite sure we are horrific a chara, im not totally despondent over the last two performances despite results.

Personally speaking, I think Keane, Gylfi, Bernard, Ricky, Pickford, Coleman, Lookman, McCarthy and Walcott are all quality and all are making it at CL teams.

We have some wait and see's Yerry and Gomes, could be anything but you have to be hopeful.

I think we lack a cutting edge at the moment but i think patience is required with Tosun and i still think there is a 10-15 goal a year striker there. Id like another striker of a better standard ultimately but that is a bigger piece of recruitment not something that should be rushed in Jan.

Some deficiencies exist for me, the transition through midfield to attack lacks creativity and speed, this was much improved on Sunday with Gylfi and Davies in the three in midfield and Gueye sweeping. We really should have had two - four goals on what was created and on chances missed. McCarthy will make a massive difference when he returns which looks relatively soon and Gomes as i said could be anything,

Elsewise i think we arent a physically imposing team, we are a better team quality wise then west ham but lost every battle physically and attitude wise. Which brings me on to character, i think our due diligence on characters in recruitment went by the wayside under the previous regime, some just dont have the will to win a individual personal battle in match ups.

But i have seen enough to know the anti virus is running, Silva is identifying the above and trying to change it. Hes dropping those who need to be dropped and looking at combinations were there are deficiencies, the sheer number of players he has given opportunities to in the starting line up suggests this. So we are in a bit a bit of a vacuum at the moment and patience is required until philosophy and standards are set. This was always going to be the case, you dont win football matches in transfer windows.

All in best result 7th for me given the quality we have on the pitch and we will be on an upward trajectory when there is a bit stability with fitness, philosophy, standards set and the right combinations are identified.

It will be an adjustment season running the anti virus, getting into Europe would be a massive bonus and relatively realistic and decent run in the cups with lift the place.

Last edited:
I watched Sokratis at Dortmund and he was a very good CB for them. He's competitive and senses danger and usually gets there to deal with it. We dont have that savvy.

yup, to say Sokratis was never very good, is simply very wrong. He was very good for us mostly, but the last season maybe caught up with him a bit - but he wasn't helped by us making about a million changes in defence, forced by injuries and players leaving. He is a million miles ahead of Williams as a player, always was.

Age wise though, I think you probably would be looking at a younger player than that. But I get what you are saying - that he was available in the summer, and gettable too.

I watched Sokratis at Dortmund and he was a very good CB for them. He's competitive and senses danger and usually gets there to deal with it. We dont have that savvy.
Well if Dirtmund played in the PL he’d be Ace
But they don’t and so far for Arsenal he has been average at best
Son in law is an Arsenal fan and a lot of them don’t rate him , plus as was said he’s 31
If we had of signed him the first words out of your mouth would have been Zatlike
NO RESALE VALUE

Im not quite sure we are horrific a chara, im not totally despondent over the last two performances despite results.

Personally speaking, I think Keane, Gylfi, Bernard, Ricky, Pickford, Coleman, Lookman, McCarthy and Walcott are all quality and all are making it at CL teams.

We have some wait and see's Yerry and Gomes, could be anything but you have to be hopeful.

I think we lack a cutting edge at the moment but i think patience is required with Tosun and i still think there is a 10-15 goal a year striker there. Id like another striker of a better standard ultimately but that is a bigger piece of recruitment not something that should be rushed in Jan.

Some deficiencies exist for me, the transition through midfield to attack lacks creativity and speed, this was much improved on Sunday with Gylfi and Davies in the three in midfield and Gueye sweeping. We really should have had two - four goals on what was created and on chances missed. McCarthy will make a massive difference when he returns which looks relatively soon and Gomes as i said could be anything,

Elsewise i think we arent a physically imposing team, we are a better team quality wise then west ham but lost every battle physically and attitude wise. Which brings me on to character, i think our due diligence on characters in recruitment went by the wayside under the previous regime, some just dont have the will to win a individual personal battle in match ups.

But i have seen enough to know the anti virus is running, Silva is identifying the above and trying to change it. Hes dropping those who need to be dropped and looking at combinations were there are deficiencies, the sheer number of players he has given opportunities to in the starting line up suggests this. So we are in a bit a bit of a vacuum at the moment and patience is required until philosophy and standards are set. This was always going to be the case, you dont win football matches in transfer windows.

All in best result 7th for me given the quality we have on the pitch and we will be on an upward trajectory when there is a bit stability with fitness, philosophy, standards set and the right combinations are identified.

It will be an adjustment season running the anti virus, getting into Europe would be a massive bonus and relatively realistic and decent run in the cups with lift the place.

McCarthy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! come on bro

I mean you can play captain hindsight all day and say we should’ve signed people like Maddison and Mitrovic but at the end of the day I can see why we didn’t spend £25m on a championship player and buy a striker who picked up more cards than goals during his time in the league. Just the way it goes sometimes.

I mean you can play captain hindsight all day and say we should’ve signed people like Maddison and Mitrovic but at the end of the day I can see why we didn’t spend £25m on a championship player and buy a striker who picked up more cards than goals during his time in the league. Just the way it goes sometimes.

Baffling that they didnt make sigurdsson or gueye or keane or pickford captain hindsight.
That falls on Silva

I'd say, Pickford, Digne and Richarlison look good enough for champions league level consistent top 4 teams. Potentially Mina and Bernard could be added to the list which leaves us with 5 top 4 quality players.

The attitude from all of them (Mina im assuming) seems to be of an exemplary winning nature...

But, we need to add 6 more first 11 players, whether its those currently in the squad, on loan, or new signings...

Yeah, he wouldn't be cheap at that price but like you said, he'd be a starter very quickly.

Guessing £40-50mil for him and a report today states £60mil for Lozano.

Call it £100mil for both.

Gylfi and Walcott out for say £45mil and we would need £50mil to cover all 4 attacking starting positions for a decade (assuming Richarlison played at CF).

It would be the stuff of dreams.

Williams was a bizarre situation where he just didn't fit the club. And he defo had the type of 'roid rage issue that no one could have anticipated.

He was a ridiculous signing at the wrong age.

Bearing in mind (imo) were 6 players off a top first 11 then if we signed a 25 year old CB then he would be at his peak of 27-28 when id expect us to be at the stage ready to push for top 4.

Signings over 30 like that, i cant see the value aside from short term gain...and weve not much to gain short term...best to build a team.

Baffling that they didnt make sigurdsson or gueye or keane or pickford captain hindsight.
That falls on Silva

Sigurdsson is mostly pointless...how could he inspire?

Gana is the most unlikely senior captain imo

Keane is only now improving performances

Pickford as keeper doesnt make an ideal captain imo

I'd say, Pickford, Digne and Richarlison look good enough for champions league level consistent top 4 teams. Potentially Mina and Bernard could be added to the list which leaves us with 5 top 4 quality players.

The attitude from all of them (Mina im assuming) seems to be of an exemplary winning nature...

But, we need to add 6 more first 11 players, whether its those currently in the squad, on loan, or new signings...

Guessing £40-50mil for him and a report today states £60mil for Lozano.

Call it £100mil for both.

Gylfi and Walcott out for say £45mil and we would need £50mil to cover all 4 attacking starting positions for a decade (assuming Richarlison played at CF).

It would be the stuff of dreams.

He was a ridiculous signing at the wrong age.

Bearing in mind (imo) were 6 players off a top first 11 then if we signed a 25 year old CB then he would be at his peak of 27-28 when id expect us to be at the stage ready to push for top 4.

Signings over 30 like that, i cant see the value aside from short term gain...and weve not much to gain short term...best to build a team.
Pickford: no CL team looking to win it would sign that lad. He's EL class only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back