Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were the 8th best team in England this year. Does that mean we should accept that fact?

Not saying it needs to change overnight, but there’s got to be a realisation that it isn’t good enough.

So the standard for success is lads that can play a quarter of a season for us then disappear? Look at the money wasted last season on utter dross - a functional academy prevents that. It produces something better than Martina at left back. A good academy should be creating players that come into the first team and are there for ten years. Again, it is a very English problem, but fingers crossed we can get a hold of it and actually lead the way in producing youth that pushes up the ability of the squad rather than having to bring in the likes of Bolasie, Klaassen, Martina et al.
We have 2 players who could have stepped up and done what Martina did, but we had sent them on loan to get some more experience. It's a very poor example to use, but that's not surprising as it's not easy to evidence something which isn't true.

Respectfully, that’s nonsense. We have one Academy graduate in our first team in the shape of Davies. We have a load on the periphery who’ll either make it or they won’t. Compare it to the likes of Academies in Europe and suddenly you see how it (and indeed the English system in terms of Talent Development) is actually, rather poor.

Davies
Kenny
Baningime

Dowell at Forest
Connolly at Ipswich
Barkley at Chelsea
Williams at Barnsley

Just a few names that spring to mind

We have 2 players who could have stepped up and done what Martina did, but we had sent them on loan to get some more experience. It's a very poor example to use, but that's not surprising as it's not easy to evidence something which isn't true.
So, we actually didn’t have anyone that could of done what he did. We sent them to a club we thought befitting of their level. It seems to be the cycle we have of sending lads to jarg teams and wondering why they don’t come back brilliant. That’s part of the process that needs to change.

Davies
Kenny
Baningime

Dowell at Forest
Connolly at Ipswich
Barkley at Chelsea
Williams at Barnsley

Just a few names that spring to mind
So one first team player, two fringe players. Then a bunch of lads at other clubs who aren’t benefiting the Everton’s performance in anyway.

We were the 8th best team in England this year. Does that mean we should accept that fact?

Not saying it needs to change overnight, but there’s got to be a realisation that it isn’t good enough.

So the standard for success is lads that can play a quarter of a season for us then disappear? Look at the money wasted last season on utter dross - a functional academy prevents that. It produces something better than Martina at left back. A good academy should be creating players that come into the first team and are there for ten years. Again, it is a very English problem, but fingers crossed we can get a hold of it and actually lead the way in producing youth that pushes up the ability of the squad rather than having to bring in the likes of Bolasie, Klaassen, Martina et al.

I think you are missing the point. You want us to change and primarily use academy players like they do in Europe. That’s great, really noble. But the set up in England isn’t to do that. So when you say we are 8th and should we accept that? No we shouldn’t. But all the teams above us, will just buy the best players in the world to come in whereas we stick with the academy.

If we change to the European setup, the whole country needs to. It would be shooting ourselves in the foot to do it alone.

We have produced players that could spend ten years in the first team, but they aren’t going to because there are better teams out there that can offer them more. You can’t expect a squad of 11 world class players to come through at the same time to win us the league. And with the way the setup is, they will stay for a couple of years, and then a bigger club comes in who has got a load of foreign internationals and give them the chance to win things.

So, we actually didn’t have anyone that could of done what he did. We sent them to a club we thought befitting of their level. It seems to be the cycle we have of sending lads to jarg teams and wondering why they don’t come back brilliant. That’s part of the process that needs to change.

Do you honestly want us to play with a squad of teenagers? I don’t get the point you are trying to make. They go on loan to develop, they aren’t meant to be firstbteam ready at 18/19 other than the odd player. They are still kids.

So one first team player, two fringe players. Then a bunch of lads at other clubs who aren’t benefiting the Everton’s performance in anyway.

Jesus mate, what a completely negative outlook.

Sent them out on loan to gain experience, you expect them all to be worldies at 19 or something? lol

No, you need to keep up and remember what point you're trying to make.

You were saying the academy is not functional as it hasn't produced players who could fill in at left back like Martina did, but it has. It's produced a Youth World Cup winner and an American international, but the manager of our first team took a risk and decided those players would benefit more from prolonged exposure at a good level on the basis that they would get limited time on the pitch for us. As it happened, Baines got a bad injury and they would have had more games than we originally thought, but I wouldn't necessarily say it was the wrong decision to loan them. Either way, you can't use it as an example of the academy not functioning if you want to be taken seriously.

Personally I think you're showing a misunderstanding of the cultural differences between football in England (and the PL in particular) and in Europe. The fact that England has 100+ fully professional clubs makes it a totally different proposition to the likes of Germany, which has only around half of that, spread over a far greater area. It's not easy for a club like us to bring through huge amounts of fantastic players because we're competing with around 20 other clubs in the local area for young lads. Then when you do get close to the first team, the quality of player in front of you, and the money at stake in the league, makes it more difficult to break through. Just look at the amount of players Chelsea send to Holland for evidence of how much easier it is to break into a side in those leagues in comparison to a PL team. If we were playing in a league of that standard, the likes of Forshaw, Duffy, Bidwell etc would probably all have played 100 games for us, and Pennington, Browning etc would be very much in our first team plans. At a higher level though, we've decided they don't quite make the grade, although a number of them have still managed to play their fair share of games at this level.

In short, our academy is of course not perfect, and like everything else we should look to improve it as much as we can, but to suggest that it's not functional or fit for purpose is just demonstrably false.

Just hope we have someone lined up to replace him, don’t like the idea of starting the season with no left back. I know Columbia announced their World Cup squad and had Frank Fabra as an Everton player, but I think we need another left back with either premier league or European experience
What do you mean no left back
Martina says hello

If we were playing in a league of that standard, the likes of Forshaw, Duffy, Bidwell etc would probably all have played 100 games for us, and Pennington, Browning etc would be very much in our first team plans. At a higher level though, we've decided they don't quite make the grade, although a number of them have still managed to play their fair share of games at this level.

In short, our academy is of course not perfect, and like everything else we should look to improve it as much as we can, but to suggest that it's not functional or fit for purpose is just demonstrably false.
That's what I'm saying though. We aren't capable of producing youth players capable of performing at the level we are at and making a prolonged impact on the club, meaning that we aren't spending millions on utter turds.

Instead we have a system capable of producing players of a mainly Championship or below level and we're spending ridiculous amounts of money on terrible players. If it does what it should be doing, the likes of Bolasie, Keane, Martina etc should have never graced Goodison Park.

That'll be that from me before I reach Dave's level of pedantry and divert this thread.

i've Just been to meet a friend who's a palace season ticket holder, and we was discussing Zaha & Ruben-Loftus Cheek. He watches a lot of football and believes Loftus-Cheek would be a great fit for us. What do you guys think? iv personally not seen enough of him, however the games I have seen he has really impressed me.

I doubt he will find a place in the Chelsea Starting eleven.

i've Just been to meet a friend who's a palace season ticket holder, and we was discussing Zaha & Ruben-Loftus Cheek. He watches a lot of football and believes Loftus-Cheek would be a great fit for us. What do you guys think? iv personally not seen enough of him, however the games I have seen he has really impressed me.

Looks a really good talent especially for a man of his size he gets about quick, Will demand a huge fee and if he has a good World cup I could see him going for 40-50m.

We should spend all the money on the one they call RLC.

I’m praying for Ziyech not going to lie, same as this time last year Ziyech has remained my number one pick....

we haven’t had a player of his ability for as long as i remember... there is no room for him across the park with Fekir and Keita etc ....

I like Gylfi but Ziyech Conor Mcgregor style strolls into our first eleven and instantly improves our threat going forward... perfect for this league!!

Imagine having attacking options of

Tosun, Kluivert, Ziyech, Lonzano, Lookman, Gylfi, Walcott

Whoa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back