Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have Vardy. He’s a nobber but scores and doesn’t seem to be in decline yet.

He won’t be joining us though

I think if we went in for him there'd be every chance - depending if he wanted a move from Leicester or not.

Can't see any of the 'big six' are gonna go for him - that ship has sailed - unless Chelsea sell Morata and get him in to fill their English quota.

If he wanted to leave Leicester, then I honestly think us or West Ham would be the only Premier League sides really in for him.

He may well know that and just think f it, I'll stay at Leicester, like.

Vardy would be an awful signing for a club in our position. Realistically, in the short term we're only looking at closing that gap to the top 6 and potentially sneaking into it if we have a bit of luck. Obviously you can never rule out an incredible season, but it would take an unbelievable improvement in fortunes for us to trouble the top 4 next season. On that basis, why on earth would you spend £30m+ on a striker who is almost exclusively reliant on pace and will turn 32 midway through the season?

Because he guarantees goals mate. If we're selling Niasse, then we'd kind of guarantee we had a similar kind of player in Vardy, I suppose.

His pace isn't gonna disappear overnight.

I'm not advocating it, but if he was an option I could see why we might be interested.

I think there's other areas to target though and would rather see us spend big on a quality CB/CM as well.

Selling Niasse would be a great start especially if we can get in the region of £15m for him (people doubt it but find me a player with his half decent prem record who’s available for less - I’ll wait).

Not sure why people are against getting Rose? We probably have no chance. He’s a level above us so to turn down the idea is madness in my opinion.

Rose - new CB or even Jags - Keane - Coleman would be a great back line.

Then people saying no to Vardy as well? For the right price (which I doubt would happen) he’d be a brilliant alternative to Cenk. Very different style players who both are proven to score goals. If we had the chance to sell Niasse for £15m and bought Vardy for £30m I’d snap it up even at his age.

He scored 20 PL goals last season and would be great playing for Silva. Who else could we get that guarantees goals like he does? lol

EDIT: Not to mention that he seems to score in the big games.
If we were say in the champions league, then maybe buying a vardy to keep us in and around the top 4 and maybe compete in the tournament, Would be worth it for a couple of season, but with a new rebuild of the squad on the cards Vardy would be a waste of money.

I think rose would be a great signing. And the type of signing we need, a statement signing if you like. To send a message out that we can attract top players. As the media seen to think the top 6 is a closed shop. And in the media’s eyes we are in the same bracket as the likes of West Ham, Bournemouth and cystral palace. That need to change this summer

Let's convert Ademola Lookman to wing back like Mourinho did with Ashley Young. Then we don't need to sign a replacement for Baines yano.

hmm i'd only sell niasse if we're bringing in two strikers. I'm sorry, but he's head and shoulders above calvert-lewin atm and i know who i'd prefer as 3rd choice striker. Suppose walcott and maybe ramirez would be given another go could be considered as a 3rd striker alternative, but i highly doubt sandro will still be here come august.

As an aside, he is really crap and his stock is probably at it's highest right now, we need to make a profit on him if we're intent on selling though. His strike rate is brilliant for what would be our 3rd choice striker. Teams would pay £20m+ plus for that striker rate if he played for someone like city putting goals on a plate for him. Just look at iheanacho.

Would we be better off using Walcott as our alternative option to Tosun up top and splashing on some other wingers with potential?

i can't work it out either tbh, two speedy wingers either side of gylfi feeding walcott could be very exciting, but i think we need to splash big on a top marksman if i'm honest.

Yes, it is. That's what happens to pacey players, even the ones who aren't English and who condition themselves diligently and professionally (rather than with Skittles-infused vodka).

Probably half of his sticker price comes just from his being English, and the rest from past rather than future performace.

It would be exactly the sort of signing that brought us to our current mess.

Because he guarantees goals mate. If we're selling Niasse, then we'd kind of guarantee we had a similar kind of player in Vardy, I suppose.

I'm not advocating it, but if he was an option I could see why we might be interested.

I think there's other areas to target though and would rather see us spend big on a quality CB/CM as well.
Not a chance Vardy comes here to be back up mate, so there's no comparison to Niasse who is the type of player you feel might be relatively content being used as a sub/occasional starter.

If we'd finished 5th last year and were trying to make a push for the top 4 then a signing like Vardy might make sense, but in our position it's pointless. You get a maximum of 2 seasons of him at the level he's at and then get absolutely nothing back for him. We can't keep spending huge amounts of money on players who don't take us to 'the next level' because it's absolutely pointless. I said it last season about Sigurdsson, the squad we had was good enough to finish 8th without him, so we spent £45m on someone who had no material impact on our performance. In my opinion Vardy would be in the same category, it's absolute madness from a business perspective.

Not a chance Vardy comes here to be back up mate, so there's no comparison to Niasse who is the type of player you feel might be relatively content being used as a sub/occasional starter.

If we'd finished 5th last year and were trying to make a push for the top 4 then a signing like Vardy might make sense, but in our position it's pointless. You get a maximum of 2 seasons of him at the level he's at and then get absolutely nothing back for him. We can't keep spending huge amounts of money on players who don't take us to 'the next level' because it's absolutely pointless. I said it last season about Sigurdsson, the squad we had was good enough to finish 8th without him, so we spent £45m on someone who had no material impact on our performance. In my opinion Vardy would be in the same category, it's absolute madness from a business perspective.

Fair enough - all good points.

Looking at it objectively in the sense of would he improve us right now, then I'd take him.

But yes, in the sense that he wouldn't at all fit in what Brands will likely want to put in place - i.e. less high earners beefing up the squad - then what you say is definitely bang on the money.

One statement signing this window will be enough and I don’t think Rose quite fits the bill of a big name signing.

He's probably one of the highest profile players we could realistically get, lad.

England's starting left-back (make of that what you will), previously one of Tottenham's most important players (and many Spurs fans still regard him as a better option than Davies) and a definite improvement in an area of the team we are massively short in.

The price would have to be right but we could do a lot worse.

I don't think we'll be in for him, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back