Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly dont know what the clubs recruitment policy will be. Im hoping its a policy of signing 2-3 top quality additions in the £35-40 million or so bracket with Brands then using his scouting network to then bring in those 1-2 bargain/risk signings for much lower fee's.
Nobody can be sure until we've actually seen it in action but one would suggest the type of signing that Brands is, would suggest a transfer policy much more like Bayer 04, Dortmund, Ajax, PSV etc which would suggest a couple of signings above 30m, perhaps even only one and the rest on players at around the 15m mark.

I fear if we go down the road of only signing prospects we'll end up with a side like Watford who bar 1-2 decent players will see us risk having a load of south american jarg players like Holebas on the books.
Watford never really signed prospects, they signed the best players with the wages and fees they could afford. We are a step up or two from that. I.E Gomes (not good enough for Spurs), Janmaat (not good enough for Newcastle), Britos (not good enough for Napoli).

I think we can all be pretty certain that we aren't having any elements of Watfords transfer policy with the signing of Brands.

There is no guarantee that it will make us a genuine contender. It is just extreme optimism. Lets not forget that Carvalho has been swerved by almost the entire top 6, hasn't set Portgual on fire over the last 12 months and was also swerved by Spanish mid table sides.

And I agree with you that the shambles is because of our recruitment policy (or lack of). But not only because we purchased the wrong players who were the flavour of the day but also because there was no destination to why we recruited players.

CFC and MCFC are also backed by guys who literally own countries. Moshiri has cash, but his not a feather of a chicken compared to Roman and Mr. Etihad.

Again - you are assuming majority of those players are going to leave - realistically perhaps only half will leave. And those that do may very well be subsidised by Everton for the next 3-5 years. To clear them all out and their legacy will take at least 3 summers. And I want guys like Schenderlin, Rooney, Bolasie, Williams, Mirallas gone as much as anyone.

We'll have to agree to disagree mate. I think you have the glass half empty and myself the glass half full mentality of what we can acheive/aim for as a club.

For me Rooney leaving early doors is a statement that the summer window will see a clear out of the squad. My only fear is we go too much down the road of signing just potential players ie. A load of Fabra's on 50/60k a week for £10 million than bringing 1-2 of those in but also ensuring that 2-3 genuine top quality additions are added to the squad who if click will push us on.

My opinion is if we can pay a near past it Rooney 150k a week which was purely sentiment we can offer the same for the likes of Rose who are paid half that by his current club if we can hope no other suitors come in.

Chiesa both isn't a CM and won't come for under £20m. Nor will Sarr since Rennes paid £15m last summer.
Granted with Chiesa, far more of a left winger. But has been deployed as a 10 and moves very much like Lanzini - would have thought he would be available at about the 20m mark. The Sarr signing was more a reference to what we should be looking at.

Guess that is why I'm the one posting on GOT earning in a year what Brands earns in a week haha.

Granted with Chiesa, far more of a left winger. But has been deployed as a 10 and moves very much like Lanzini - would have thought he would be available at about the 20m mark. The Sarr signing was more a reference to what we should be looking at.

Guess that is why I'm the one posting on GOT earning in a year what Brands earns in a week haha.

Valued at €60m

We'll have to agree to disagree mate. I think you have the glass half empty and myself and the glass half full mentality of what we can acheive/aim for as a club.

For me Rooney leaving early doors is a statement that the summer window will see a clear out of the squad. My only fear is we go too much down the road of signing just potential players ie. A load of Fabra's on 50/60k a week for £10 million than bringing 1-2 of those in but also ensuring that 2-3 genuine top quality additions are added to the squad who if click will push us on.

My opinion is if we can pay Rooney 150k for sentiment we can offer the same for the likes of Rose who are paid half by his current club.
It isn't a glass half full or half empty mentality at all, its a damn glass so drink it mentality. I.e realism.

Rooney leaving is not a statement. A statement would be Brands coming out and saying what a plan is over a hypothetical 3 year period. Lets be honest, Rooney was a massive marketing plot, everybody knew he was already finished. When Allardyce started dropping him and Rooney finally realised he was not good enough, he went out in search of first team football.

Fabra is being tracked by both Spanish giants (according to papers....). A 10m signing with little risk, most of which we can recoup. As opposed to spending 30m on Carvahlo who the entire top 6 has passed, who Dortmund, Shalke and also spanish teams have passed on? A fella who was ordinary in Portugal - that is risk and potentially leaves us with more Michael Keanes, Sandros etc.

And for the record, I'm happy buying Rose and paying him a large wage. Just can't see any hope of that being applied to 3-4 players. Perhaps one or two.

Mate,

Further to the last comment. You've spent 150m. I think the appointment of Brands will see us develop a new recruitment style, whereas perhaps 2 signings will be in the "large spend vicinity". Danny Rose and Lozano seem realistic. Can't see us splashing 30m on Carvalho and Kouliably is a wild dream.

Midfielders available between 15-20m
  • Ezequiel Barco (scouted by Dortmund, Bayern, Napoli) wont be available until after the MLS season. Can be deployed centrally or on the left.
  • Fredrico Chiesa - Currently at Florence. 21 year old capped Italian and for a CM is extremely pacy.
  • Ismailli Sarr - Admittedly don't watch any Ligue 1 as it is a completely trash league, but was touted by both spanish giants and also Newcastle last year. And reading some round ups this year, seems to be attracting plenty of attention
  • Carles Alena at Barcelona - can't get a gig in their side but highly rated - more of a loan option as there isn't anyway Barca is going to sell him but would offer more than Davies does already.
Can't really think of any real boss CDM, but there are a few in the lower rated Bundesliga sides.

Given at this stage we house all of Williams, Jagielka, Keane (what a rubbish 3) plus Mori and Holgate. I imagine that we will need to move a couple on before signing anyone of any significance.

CBs available betwen 15-20m
  • Sarr - Again seems like he has been linked with us already, young and fits the Brands idea of a good signing.
  • Diop - as per above, but cheaper

Players we sign need to be the next Jonathan Tahs or Andreas Christensens, I mean Panagiotis Retsos went to Bayer 04 last season for 15m and would have offered twice as much as Keane did on the days he didn't play poorly for half the damn price.

Madly they are all the same youngsters i sign on footy manager, not sure they would be leaving for 15 - 20 mill each, esp Chiesa

How dare you

original
I long for the day we see an Everton player do stuff like that

It isn't a glass half full or half empty mentality at all, its a damn glass so drink it mentality. I.e realism.

Rooney leaving is not a statement. A statement would be Brands coming out and saying what a plan is over a hypothetical 3 year period. Lets be honest, Rooney was a massive marketing plot, everybody knew he was already finished. When Allardyce started dropping him and Rooney finally realised he was not good enough, he went out in search of first team football.

Fabra is being tracked by both Spanish giants (according to papers....). A 10m signing with little risk, most of which we can recoup. As opposed to spending 30m on Carvahlo who the entire top 6 has passed, who Dortmund, Shalke and also spanish teams have passed on? A fella who was ordinary in Portugal - that is risk and potentially leaves us with more Michael Keanes, Sandros etc.

And for the record, I'm happy buying Rose and paying him a large wage. Just can't see any hope of that being applied to 3-4 players. Perhaps one or two.

I agree to an extent mate although its tedious the amount of Blues fans who try put some hypothetical limit on our clubs aims based on nothing but guess work.

The amount of people who seem to think the below:

We can only attract a Silva/Howe/Dyche level manager

We'll be lucky to spend 1/3 of what we spent last summer

Brands coming in is somehow proof we are skint and have to shop at Aldi in the coming seasons.

When the reality is since Moshiri arrived we are in the top 4/5 biggest net spenders, have a suspect connection to one of the worlds richest men who sponsers our training ground, add in the owner seems to put in alot of cash for someone who "only" is worth £1.3 bn and owns just 49.9% of a club when richer individual's who own 100% of clubs seem to be putting in less.

I think as a club we are at a cross roads - yes we are not in the financial league of Man City or Chelsea - however we are still capable of spending the sort of money on players who can push us forward. Our problem has been targetting average players for inflated fee's and thinking we can only attract a manager who has PL experience.

haha

I said Vardy because he's a proven player. I totally understand us not going for him but if we did I wouldn't be disappointed. He'd get us 15-20 goals and is something very different in style to Tosun. If Niasse is off, we'd do a lot worse.

King - I've liked for ages. I was a big advocate of us going for him last year.

He's 26, in his prime, proving in the league and can play in all the positions across the front line. He's quick and strong and is a good finisher. If he's available, then he'd be a very decent acquisition. Yes, maybe not as exciting as a Lozano, but depending on where we plan to spend the big money, King could come in for £20m, and cover the role of both winger and back-up striker.

We can't have a massive squad heading into the new season, and players who can play multiple roles well are what is required.

There's no reason to say we can't still go out and get players that can be of real quality either.

I wouldn't see the point in selling niasse and replacing with King for more money tbh, which is what would be the case if we were actually interested in.

I see silly season has began to kick into full gear with the media linking us to every 21yo continental player yer mate down the local reckons is boss...

'sake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back