Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
His agent has been hawking him around the Premier League for a couple of seasons now.

He was very heavily linked to West Ham at one point.

If he`s been available for a while, you`d have to question why has no one come in for him.

File, under agent trying to manufacture a pay day for himself.

In fairness lad, the situation at Sporting is actually disgusting at the moment - and the players want out.

IIRC Silva would have been in charge when Carvalho really came to the fore in that 14-15 season - but the situation with the president and the fans means he could push through a move.

He's definitely a player that would improve us, and offer us something we need. Worth remembering he has been at Sporting close to a decade now though - it's not like he's a journeyman or anything.

Loftus cheek has mainly been used on the left....not often he is centre mid. Bit like how we used Ross.

The 2 players are very similar to me, would rather have Ross back tbh.

Yeh I do like N'Zonzi.

But, if we're wanting to get away from the 'short term' options, I think we'll look to go for the younger player. Carvalho is just 26, whereas N'Zonzi is 30 in December.

Heck, who knows, we may well see the Schneiderlin we did in 2016-17 and suddenly he won't be going anywhere.

Who knows. I'm sure there have been early discussions between Brands and Silva about what is needed.

I’m not a fan of Carvalho at all. Tom Huddlestone springs to mind. Not mobile enough.
But was outstanding when Portugal won the euros. Not sure how many goals they conceded in the tournament, but I don’t think it was many.

He may not be the quickest, but his job is to protect the back 4 and dictate the play from deep. He’s strong amd reads the game well. Think wanyama but a better footballer. He’s a class above anything we have in midfield st this moment.

Loftus cheek has mainly been used on the left....not often he is centre mid. Bit like how we used Ross.

RLC was used left a lot at the start of the season yes, but when Zaha came back from injury and conversely, RLC did, he was used as an attacking midfielder.

I agree with the Barkley comparisons.

I said three years ago that he was who he reminded me of - he has that same ability to glide past players that Ross (used?) to have, and that sharp skill/turn of pace.

I think RLC does have that extra bit of height and strength, though.

Ross won't be coming back, so I'd rather go with RLC if he's at all an option.

Personally, I don't think Chelsea will let him go - especially if they get Sarri.

I could see Sarri using him in the same way he used Allan at Napoli - as the box-to-box player in a 4-3-3?

I loved how Ross used to play and thought once he improved his decision making he’d be a world beater. If you look at videos of when we were playing great football under Martinez he was heavily involved in most of it.
I’m not sure his decision making ever work improve though and I’m not sure if injuries have done him in. What I am sure of though is there’s no coming back for him.

Loftus-Cheek will be twice the player Ross will be. He’s got everything. I don’t see why everyone assumes Chelsea will be getting rid. I think they’ll keep him.

But was outstanding when Portugal won the euros. Not sure how many goals they conceded in the tournament, but I don’t think it was many.

He may not be the quickest, but his job is to protect the back 4 and dictate the play from deep. He’s strong amd reads the game well. Think wanyama but a better footballer. He’s a class above anything we have in midfield st this moment.

Maybe it’s his rubbish moustache type effort he’s got going on but there’s something about him I just can’t take to.

His agent has been hawking him around the Premier League for a couple of seasons now.

He was very heavily linked to West Ham at one point.

File, under agent trying to manufacture a pay day for himself.
If he`s been available for a while, you`d have to question why has no one come in for him.

Must have only just found his passport :oops:

Must have only just found his passport :oops:

He hasn't strictly 'been available' though. Not really.

Sporting's approach has been - pay us £35/40m, and that may get him.

But now, with the whole fiasco with the ultras attacking the players and the president being a complete nutjob, the players have supposedly had enough and a lot of them - including Carvalho - are said to want out.

Beforehand, Carvalho has always been the player Sporting built around. He's been there a decade and came through their academy. He has been a key part of the Portugal side and has had played European football because Sporting are usually guaranteed a top three finish. He's only just 26 as well, so it's not like he's spent his best years there.

He hasn't strictly 'been available' though. Not really.

Sporting's approach has been - pay us £35/40m, and that may get him.

But now, with the whole fiasco with the ultras attacking the players and the president being a complete nutjob, the players have supposedly had enough and a lot of them - including Carvalho - are said to want out.

Beforehand, Carvalho has always been the player Sporting built around. He's been there a decade and came through their academy. He has been a key part of the Portugal side and has had played European football because Sporting are usually guaranteed a top three finish. He's only just 26 as well, so it's not like he's spent his best years there.

Bruno Fernandes would be the Sporting player I’d want us to sign

I was really keen on us signing him last season, but that gif of him slowly jogging back without a care in the world while his team is conceding was a giant red flag to me.

I already said I was comfortable with it. Did you not believe me the first time? I am more comfortable playing him ahead of a kid, any other position on the park maybe, but not in goal.

They are unproven. Caps mean nothing these days and if they are full internationals who are highly regarded then they are unlikely to come and waste their career sitting on our bench. Reserve goalie is not a position for a young promising player especially when there is another young goalie in front of him who more than likely will stay in front of him for the vast majority of his time at the club.

To be honest i thought you were wumming about playing Stekelenburg. One of the worst keepers in the league...if not the worst.

Yeh, I can imagine him going there - looks a very similar player.

He looks a classy player. Only seen him play once though so apart from the youtube clips that's all I can offer.

However, he's 5'6. I know it sounds stupid to say, but there's a big chance he'd be completely bullied out in the Premier League in that position.

And looking at how Silva has liked to play before, he doesn't usually have somebody that small and slight operating in midfield.

Torreira isnt the type to get bullied.. hes got the attitude of a typical Uruguayan...nasty on the pitch.

Plays like Veratti...more similar to him than jorginho.

To be honest i thought you were wumming about playing Stekelenburg. One of the worst keepers in the league...if not the worst.

Torreira isnt the type to get bullied.. hes got the attitude of a typical Uruguayan...nasty on the pitch.

Plays like Veratti...more similar to him than jorginho.

That's all well and good, but he'd need a presence next to him.

Our main issue is how small our team is. Physically we are dwarfed by most sides.

We need some power and height in both defence and midfield. It doesn't mean they have to be clumsy players - you can be 6'1 and great on the ball - but we do need it.

Carvalho and Torreira, for example, could be a great partnership on paper as they complement each other well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back