Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets look at the season just gone.

Kooman and Allerdyce both messed around with the defence,both tried and failed with 3 cb's and 2 wing backs.

We rarely had a stable team, changes being made weekly.

That unsettles players, so when they play well one week they suddenly find themselves on the bench or out of the squad completely the next.

Keane found himself trying to build a partnership with Jags one game, Holgate the next and Williams the next.

We had complete disarray in the full back position with Seamus and Baines both out, JJK did well, Cuco didnt.

Gana was paired with Schniederlin one game,then Rooney, the Beni, then McCarthy and then Schniderlin again.

Sygi was asked to play left wing, centre mid, upfront and the NO 10 role, then he was dropped.

We played an out of form Rooney in every midfield position there is, as well as playing him wide left wide right and CF.

Up until January our CF's were DCL and Niasse.

The current squad does need looking at, but IMO, not major surgery.

What we need more than anything is players to be played in their best position week in and week out and give the defence, midfield and attack a chance to build up an understanding of each others strengths and weaknesses.

That said we need

CB
LB
CM
CF

Agree entirely.

However, I think we could do with a winger, competing with Lookman and Walcott - with Bolasie being moved on.

That being said, we do need more goal threat.

Which is why, shock horror, I think somebody like Josh King - a proven player in the Premier League who can play in both positions and contribute goals and has assets our other forwards don't - would be a good option.

Another option for that role could be Alassane Plea. We were interested in January 2017 but never made a fruitful move. We then went for Sandro in the summer.

Plea's a good player and more suited to the league than Sandro because he's a quick, strong striker, but unlike King, there's always that chance he wouldn't settle.

I know we as a fanbase, well some of us, have adopted a sell everybody approach and its noble in its cause!!!! But we really dont need to sell everybody, just most of them.

Everybody can see what needs to be done, we have a few players who arent of the required standard quite frankly.

I think we need these players :

1 Back up GK
1 starting LB
1 starting CB at least
1 DM/CM
2 Widers
1 ST at the very min

Ive got these boys currently taking a spot :

Pickford
Coleman -- Holgate -- NEW CB -- NEW LB
Gana - NEW CM
Walcott - Iceland - A WIDER
Tosun
Then we have the likes of Lookman, Davies, possibly the boy Robinson, Keane, DCL, Vlasic, JJK and possibly Dowell, POSSIBLY, other than Baines I would honestly punt everybody else. Klaassen is the only 1 I feel might be worth keeping around.

Most of them will be VERY hard to shift, VERY hard indeed, they are sitting on disgustingly massive contracts.

The back up Keeper is difficult, in an ideal world Pickford plays every single game all season, never dips in form, never gets injured or suspended, never gonna happen, so do you go for a promising yoot or an old stager happy to take the dough most weeks and able if/when called on?? Tough 1.

The CB I wouldnt be buying a yoot for, would be risky with Holgate there as well and I mean clearly we need more than 3 CBs, so maybe, MAYBE retain Jags, unless Feeney, Pennington or Galloway can be turned into players, im not overly hopeful.

The rest I dont care as long as they have MAGIC.

TL: DR LOL

Loftus-Cheek will be twice the player Ross will be. He’s got everything. I don’t see why everyone assumes Chelsea will be getting rid. I think they’ll keep him.

He may well turn out to be, but lets remember RLC is still young and has not done what Ross has yet. He has had half a decenet season really.

I think he will be great, but you never know.

He isn't crap.

He does move like a bus though.

Depends what system the manager wants to play/what style Brands wants to implement.
He wouldn't hack it in any of the top leagues. Arsed having to watch more slugs walk around in midfield doing nothing for another season

You want top 4 but you can’t start the season with Cenk and that lottery winner
It's extremely unlikely that we are going to get to top 4 in one step. Realistically it will take at least 2/3 years and that's if things went remarkably well.

I agree that the current front 3 will not get us to top 4 as things stand, but there are other area's of the team that we need to prioritise in my opinion. Plus, I think it's unfair to judge any of our strikers on last years ultra defensive tactics. Let's see how they do in an attack minded system with more creative players behind them. Let's see if DCL is able to develop his finishing skills. Let's see how many Tosun can score if we can increase the number of chances he gets threefold.

If need be, a striking upgrade can be our priority next summer when hopefully the club will be in a far better place to attract the calibre of striker we need. At the moment, if I was a top striker looking for a new challenge Everton would be at the very bottom of the list.

...it’s Wednesday 30th May and here’s this morning’s transfer rumour summary;

- According to reports in Calciomercarto and Tuttomercartoweb, Everton and Arsenal are keen on Sampdoria midfielder, Lucas Torriera. The 22 year old Uruguayan started 36 of 38 league games and is in his country’s squad for this summers World Cup.

- Claims from Portuguese outlet, Record, say international midfielder, William Carvalho, will make the switch to England this summer with Everton the most likely destination. The Toffees have been linked with the Sporting CP player for some time and appear to be head of the queue. A Bola go as far as saying talks on a £35m deal have already begun.

- 4th Official say Everton are prepared to sell their Argentinian defender, Ramiro Funes-Mori, this summer.

- Turkish outlet, Takvim, suggest Besiktas have identified Everton’s Davy Klaassen as the man to replace Anderson Talisca. Besiktas are preparing a loan move for the midfielder.

- A report suggests Everton are interested in signing Chelsea midfielder, Ruben Loftus-Cheek. The youngster earned rave reviews whilst on loan at Crystal Palace and has been called into England’s World Cup squad.

- L’Equipe report Everton have been keeping tabs on Toulouse Centre Back, Issa Diop. The 21 year olds form has earned him the captain’s armband at his club.

- Calciomercato suggest Everton and West Ham are interested in signing Barcelona Centre Back, Marlon. The Brazilian has been on loan at Nice and the President of the French club has said the deal will not be made permanent.

...and other bumph;

- The Liverpool Echo and other outlets are reporting that Marco Silva’s appointment as new Everton Manager will be announced before this weekend.

Can’t believe any rumour until we have actually appointed a manager and our new Director Of Football takes charge.

Until then, everything is just for clicks and column inches.

Bit late on the Danny Rose thing but he would be the biggest upgrade we could have. Would do us for 3-4 years.
Depends on his injury situation. The Spurs lads in here say he isn't the same player as 2 seasons ago when he was the best in the league. Let's see how he does at the world cup.

I'm not dead against him like many on here, but I'd hate to pay £40m out on a crock.

It's extremely unlikely that we are going to get to top 4 in one step. Realistically it will take at least 2/3 years and that's if things went remarkably well.

I agree that the current front 3 will not get us to top 4 as things stand, but there are other area's of the team that we need to prioritise in my opinion. Plus, I think it's unfair to judge any of our strikers on last years ultra defensive tactics. Let's see how they do in an attack minded system with more creative players behind them. Let's see if DCL is able to develop his finishing skills. Let's see how many Tosun can score if we can increase the number of chances he gets threefold.

If need be, a striking upgrade can be our priority next summer when hopefully the club will be in a far better place to attract the calibre of striker we need. At the moment, if I was a top striker looking for a new challenge Everton would be at the very bottom of the list.
I agree with some of that but in my opinion we appoint coaches and managers (and directors of football now) so that we don't have to 'see how they do'.

We should be looking at DCL in training and pre-season and deciding if he's ready to be an important player for us, not giving him an entire season and then deciding actually he wasn't up to it after all. We should be looking at Tosun and deciding if he has the underlying ability to hit 20 goals, not just saying well he might do better if we give him more chances. If we're going to start actually achieving things we need to start being ruthless and implementing proper plans, not doing even more of the aimless meandering we've been doing for the last few years on the basis that things might come good if x, y and z happen.

...it’s Wednesday 30th May and here’s this morning’s transfer rumour summary;

- According to reports in Calciomercarto and Tuttomercartoweb, Everton and Arsenal are keen on Sampdoria midfielder, Lucas Torriera. The 22 year old Uruguayan started 36 of 38 league games and is in his country’s squad for this summers World Cup.

- Claims from Portuguese outlet, Record, say international midfielder, William Carvalho, will make the switch to England this summer with Everton the most likely destination. The Toffees have been linked with the Sporting CP player for some time and appear to be head of the queue. A Bola go as far as saying talks on a £35m deal have already begun.

- 4th Official say Everton are prepared to sell their Argentinian defender, Ramiro Funes-Mori, this summer.

- Turkish outlet, Takvim, suggest Besiktas have identified Everton’s Davy Klaassen as the man to replace Anderson Talisca. Besiktas are preparing a loan move for the midfielder.

- A report suggests Everton are interested in signing Chelsea midfielder, Ruben Loftus-Cheek. The youngster earned rave reviews whilst on loan at Crystal Palace and has been called into England’s World Cup squad.

- L’Equipe report Everton have been keeping tabs on Toulouse Centre Back, Issa Diop. The 21 year olds form has earned him the captain’s armband at his club.

- Calciomercato suggest Everton and West Ham are interested in signing Barcelona Centre Back, Marlon. The Brazilian has been on loan at Nice and the President of the French club has said the deal will not be made permanent.

...and other bumph;

- The Liverpool Echo and other outlets are reporting that Marco Silva’s appointment as new Everton Manager will be announced before this weekend.
That's a bit more like it Eggs;)

The last few days have been a bit underwhelming but a few juicy bits today. Particularly like the link to Loftus Cheek.

Lets look at the season just gone.

Kooman and Allerdyce both messed around with the defence,both tried and failed with 3 cb's and 2 wing backs.

We rarely had a stable team, changes being made weekly.

That unsettles players, so when they play well one week they suddenly find themselves on the bench or out of the squad completely the next.

Keane found himself trying to build a partnership with Jags one game, Holgate the next and Williams the next.

We had complete disarray in the full back position with Seamus and Baines both out, JJK did well, Cuco didnt.

Gana was paired with Schniederlin one game,then Rooney, the Beni, then McCarthy and then Schniderlin again.

Sygi was asked to play left wing, centre mid, upfront and the NO 10 role, then he was dropped.

We played an out of form Rooney in every midfield position there is, as well as playing him wide left wide right and CF.

Up until January our CF's were DCL and Niasse.

The current squad does need looking at, but IMO, not major surgery.

What we need more than anything is players to be played in their best position week in and week out and give the defence, midfield and attack a chance to build up an understanding of each others strengths and weaknesses.

That said we need

CB
LB
CM
CF
You make a lot of sense, but isn't is easier just to write players off and say they are cr@p than actually think about it?

We need to bring a bit of madness/genius and lots of pace into the squad.
At present when I look at our squad I see lots of good footballers but many are lacking in pace and too few offer the unpredictability that is so hard to defend against.

It will be fascinating to see what the signings will be like this summer compared to what was signed last summer and how central our younger academy players will be in the squad.

Carvalho is crap, has the mobility of a wardrobe.

He looks like every generic black cop in any 80s movie with the tash aswell

He would`ve complimented Allardyce very well though.

Allardyce sat there, with shirt open to the waist, gold chains on show, pint of wine in his hand and Carvalho just sat there looking cool with his tash and tight " fro ", full shell suit and wrap around shades, looking like the lead singer from Cameo lol

I like players that do unnecessary skills when a normal pass or cross would probably suffice. And he’s so so so one footed it’s unreal he’s actually perfected the art of the outside boot because he can’t be arsed to teach his other foot to play football.

dMvA9D.gif

AND WHAT?!

Recoba for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back