Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not ideal, spending £30m + on an another older player.

We are in another rebuilding stabilising situation again.

We've tried the younger strikers in Sandro, DCL and Niasse and lets be brutally honest, it hasn't worked. To survive and push on in the division we are in we need a proven goalscorer.

If we spend £30M on an " older" player and he gets us 20 plus goals a season for two seasons and helps us to regain a little bit of stability in the process, then i see it as money well spent.

The most important things for any of the signings we make this summer is the attitude of being a winner, not soft who allows others to bully them, and a bit of snide agression :) For too long we've signed the mr nice guys who don't want to ruffle a feather in case they hurt the oppositions feelings or their fans ;-(

I.E Jamie Vardy

Loftus cheek has mainly been used on the left....not often he is centre mid. Bit like how we used Ross.

The 2 players are very similar to me, would rather have Ross back tbh.
Rlc actually has a brain to go along with the talent, he's not a little judas rat like Ross either

For immediate top quality of course VVD and Fabinho are superior.

But for excitement...Torreira is very exciting and pofential to become a hero for us...

Diop a player who also could grow with the club...both able to offer what we need and add to the group of young lads we have.

I love the romance of building something...not signing household names.

Look where the romance of building a young squad with potential got us last season.

Sandro, Klassen, Vlasic, Davies, JJK, Holgate etc

Sandro, Klassen and Vlasic were bought to grow with the club and where are they now, less than 12 months on?

I know signing any player is a risk, but if we continue to sign "promising youngsters with potential" we could find ourselves back in the same position as we did last season.

Lets get a couple of experienced heads in and slowly introduce the "potential" as we go through the season.

Carvalho is crap, has the mobility of a wardrobe.

He looks like every generic black cop in any 80s movie with the tash aswell

He isn't crap.

He does move like a bus though.

Depends what system the manager wants to play/what style Brands wants to implement.

I like players that do unnecessary skills when a normal pass or cross would probably suffice. And he’s so so so one footed it’s unreal he’s actually perfected the art of the outside boot because he can’t be arsed to teach his other foot to play football.

dMvA9D.gif

AND WHAT?!
Can he defend though?

RLC was used left a lot at the start of the season yes, but when Zaha came back from injury and conversely, RLC did, he was used as an attacking midfielder.

I agree with the Barkley comparisons.

I guess the last comment causes me some issues in that I wouldn't be too keen on importing a player who, like Roscoe, might ruffle the feathers of the Merseyside gangsta 'fraternity'. Roscoe goosing that gangsta's moll, and then compounding issues by goosing the same bloke's kopite ma, caused unwanted aggro (culminating of course in Roscoe being run out of town).
Now, I have no issues with a young fella's desire to sow a few wild oats, but nor am I keen on rekindling a turf war via 'indiscretions' with a gangsta's kopite ma. If RLC does come on board, I would like to see a stipulation in his contract that 'liaisons' with Al Capone's ma are strictly verboten...unless of course they get married. I would like to think that even if the gangsta then gets the 'ump, he wouldn't resort to kicking his step-dad out of town.

Needless to say, it's a rum situation...

How many would you get in? I think another big churn of players may not be useful too. We may need a few more too for the squad, it depends who goes first. But I see those as the minimum requirements though

Lets look at the season just gone.

Kooman and Allerdyce both messed around with the defence,both tried and failed with 3 cb's and 2 wing backs.

We rarely had a stable team, changes being made weekly.

That unsettles players, so when they play well one week they suddenly find themselves on the bench or out of the squad completely the next.

Keane found himself trying to build a partnership with Jags one game, Holgate the next and Williams the next.

We had complete disarray in the full back position with Seamus and Baines both out, JJK did well, Cuco didnt.

Gana was paired with Schniederlin one game,then Rooney, the Beni, then McCarthy and then Schniderlin again.

Sygi was asked to play left wing, centre mid, upfront and the NO 10 role, then he was dropped.

We played an out of form Rooney in every midfield position there is, as well as playing him wide left wide right and CF.

Up until January our CF's were DCL and Niasse.

The current squad does need looking at, but IMO, not major surgery.

What we need more than anything is players to be played in their best position week in and week out and give the defence, midfield and attack a chance to build up an understanding of each others strengths and weaknesses.

That said we need

CB
LB
CM
CF

We are in another rebuilding stabilising situation again.

We've tried the younger strikers in Sandro, DCL and Niasse and lets be brutally honest, it hasn't worked. To survive and push on in the division we are in we need a proven goalscorer.

If we spend £30M on an " older" player and he gets us 20 plus goals a season for two seasons and helps us to regain a little bit of stability in the process, then i see it as money well spent.
But if he's only here for 2 years how does that stabilise us? It just means you remain in a rebuilding phase for longer, because in 2 years you need to replace your top goalscorer (and if he's scoring more than 20 goals a season you'll be spending pretty much all your transfer budget to do it).

When in a rebuilding phase, the best bet is to sign players who will be part of the side for the long term, so you only need to rebuild once.

We signed messi yet???
Just saying, but im struggling with the heat here in turkey....the champaign n kebabs are just about keeping me sane.... big willy signed??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back