Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree entirely.

However, I think we could do with a winger, competing with Lookman and Walcott - with Bolasie being moved on.

That being said, we do need more goal threat.

Which is why, shock horror, I think somebody like Josh King - a proven player in the Premier League who can play in both positions and contribute goals and has assets our other forwards don't - would be a good option.

Another option for that role could be Alassane Plea. We were interested in January 2017 but never made a fruitful move. We then went for Sandro in the summer.

Plea's a good player and more suited to the league than Sandro because he's a quick, strong striker, but unlike King, there's always that chance he wouldn't settle.
Plea looked very direct and dynamic in the few videos I watched when we got linked to him, definitely a nightmare to defend against and is a good age for a signing to a new league.

Josh King wants to leave Bournemouth because he wasnt played as a striker so might not be a good idea to sign him for the left wing.

I agree with some of that but in my opinion we appoint coaches and managers (and directors of football now) so that we don't have to 'see how they do'.

We should be looking at DCL in training and pre-season and deciding if he's ready to be an important player for us, not giving him an entire season and then deciding actually he wasn't up to it after all. We should be looking at Tosun and deciding if he has the underlying ability to hit 20 goals, not just saying well he might do better if we give him more chances. If we're going to start actually achieving things we need to start being ruthless and implementing proper plans, not doing even more of the aimless meandering we've been doing for the last few years on the basis that things might come good if x, y and z happen.
Wouldn't argue with that, but we don't have a bottomless pit of money to bring in every player we need, plus we have a lot of deadwood that needs moving on to free up salaries. For me our priority has to be, in order, LCB, CM, LB and AM. They also HAVE to be good enough to go straight in to starting XI. We already have enough young squad players that need further developing.

I also think you are expecting an awful lot out of our coaching staff if you feel they can make those decisions on DCL and Tosun, based on 6 weeks training (half of which will focus on fitness) and maybe 4 pre season games in which each player will probably get no more than 45 minutes. All this whilst trying to introduce a completely new system to the team. the last thing I want is us making hasty decisions on them and the have to make further hasty decisions in the transfer market given that it closes in early August.

As regards Tosun, who one would imagine will go into the season as our starting striker, you want us to be reasonably confident he could get us 20 goals a season. If not, presumably you think we should bring in somebody who could. Well in the last 5 years there have only been a total of 9 players who have scored more than 20 goals in a season. Suarez, Aguero, Kane, Lukaku, Salah, Vardy, Sanchez, Costa and Sturridge. Think on that for a moment.

As regards DCL, IMO he should go into the season as back up to Tosun, with the emphasis being on developing him through limited game time and personal 1-1 coaching centred on his weak areas.

Come January, if it turns out we have a serious problem in the striking area, then we can look at finding a fix then. But for me, there are more important area's to deal with this summer.

Wouldn't be unhappy of we brought him in. Where did you see that he is available?

Its reported a few places. Hodgson has talked about keeping him and West Ham have been linked. He has said he will only stay at Chelsea if he gets game time and thats probably not going to happen. Mau cost about £20 mill but he would walk into our midfield and has everything we need.

The only issue may be that Chelsea.may want to insert a buy back after being burnt on a few transfers.

Its reported a few places. Hodgson has talked about keeping him and West Ham have been linked. He has said he will only stay at Chelsea if he gets game time and thats probably not going to happen. Mau cost about £20 mill but he would walk into our midfield and has everything we need.

The only issue may be that Chelsea.may want to insert a buy back after being burnt on a few transfers.
No ones getting him for £20m mate. It'll take £40m minimum in todays prices. He has 3 years left on his contract and Chelsea have no need to sell. They may not plan to play him regularly themselves but they'll know his worth.

If we were to do this it needs to be done pre world cup.

So the answer is replace like for like? If anything he's even more immobile Han what we have there now
Why is it all about being mobile?
Building a football team is about balance.
Gareth Barry did a good job for us for a few years, he wasn’t quick. And I’ve seen plenty of fans say we missed him this year. Not me personally.

If he was English he would be 1st choice as a defensive midfielder, he’s streets ahead of Henderson and dier

Why is it all about being mobile?
Building a football team is about balance.
Gareth Barry did a good job for us for a few years, he wasn’t quick. And I’ve seen plenty of fans say we missed him this year. Not me personally.

If he was English he would be 1st choice as a defensive midfielder, he’s streets ahead of Henderson and dier
Barry was miles better than carvalho though, his brain was next level.
There's just nothing about carvalho other than being big and Portuguese which makes him seem much better than what he is, the hype has unsurprisingly died down with him in recent years like it does with the majority of starlets coming out of Portugal who are always touted as the next big thing.

Give me intelligent footballers over useless lumps any day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back