Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope he goes to Monaco personally

Silva loves him and with Willy C in the side it means he can play 4-1-4-1, it allows us to play with only 1 DM.

Whether the fella can adapt to the Prem im not sure.

I think we may struggle this window to off load as many as people want us too.

We have a world cup coming up and every scout and his dog are going to be scrambling all over it, on the look out for bargains.

We could be stuck with the Bolassie's, Williams's, Schniederlins and others for a little longer than we think.

Wont be any bargains at the World Cup, but I do agree we are really going to struggle to punt a good few of them.

Ive said it will take around 3 windows at least to fix this squad, this window, not much normally happens in winter windows, so next summer is when we should start to see some proper changes, I can see a LOT of loans in the next few windows.

I mean 4-1-4-1 has me semi-hard, it just seems sexual.

Whether its a system that would work in this league, but imagine :

Pickford
Coleman - Holgate - Hummels - Alex Sandro
Willy C
Walcott - Iceland- Modric - Messi
Tosun
If the Portuguese imp starts playing 4-1-4-1 ill immediately demand his sacking

Again, I agree with the principle of what you're saying, but not with every point.

I agree that a new striker isn't our number one priority. Personally I think a genuine left winger is more important than an AM, a position which I think Sigurdsson and Lookman are good enough to rotate in. A left footed player would give us better balance and just a different option, even if it's off the bench. Maybe Dowell could be that player, but if Sigurdsson for example is in the middle behind Tosun then we have the same lack of pace which blighted us this year, and I know Dowell has played a lot on the right cutting in.

I kind of disagree with the idea that all of the players you mentioned have to be immediate first teamers. I don't think Baines is totally finished, so I don't necessarily believe we need to go out and sign Danny Rose or the like for £40m, a good steady alternative who can share left back duties with Baines would be fine in my opinion, same with the attacking position as already mentioned.

I would totally disagree about the coaches. If a coaching team can't decide whether a player is good enough after working with them every day over the summer and watching recordings of previous performances then what are we paying them for? Surely we can't expect them to buy good players who they've never worked with on that basis, because how could they make a judgement? I'm not talking about making a hasty judgement like selling someone after 2 friendlies, just coming in and saying I do/don't think this player is ready to have an impact for us this season. It's a pretty standard expectation of a manager I think.

The 20 goals comment on Tosun was just because that's often used as a yardstick for strikers. 18 would be fine like, but the point still stands. The coaches need to analyse peoples games and decide whether they think they've got what it takes to do what we need. I find the idea of just giving people a chance on the off chance that they prove to be better than you thought a really odd one, but I know a lot disagree with me.
I used the term AM loosely. Anybody who would fit in the 3 of a 4231 or as wide men in a 433. I agree a left footer is needed for the squad but I'd accept a 2 footer like Kluivert.

As regards Baines, I've said a few times that I want him to stay to rotate with the new LB, especially if it's somebody young or coming in from abroad. But my point stands, the new player needs to be premiership ready and of a quality to help us push on.

We're miles apart on the coaching point, but I guess 2 out of 3 ain't bad.:)

Oh, regarding Tosun, how would you feel about 15 goals? I'd be more than happy personally provided a few other were close to double figures.

It depends how we'd play though.

Silva often played a front three at Watford - Richarlison given the freedom to drift inside from the left.

King could well be useful in a similar role, for example.
Definitely a good option to have provided he's happy to play wide forward, if he does come here i think that would be his beat position for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back