Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
He did have the worst strike rate of any of our forward last year, except for Bolasie.

That includes Walcott, Niasse, Tosun, Lookman, Vlasic, and Sandro.

Yes, because he's a 20/21-yr-old thrown in at the deep end in his first 'full' season at a Premier League club.

Our failure to land a striker meant he was tasked with either leading our line or playing on the wing, with Rooney central.

The team were abysmal and there was no set pattern to the play.

Yes, he needs to improve his finishing and nobody will dispute that and I'm certainly not claiming he's world class, but these shouts to get rid are stupid.

He's quick, strong and good on the ball. Lacks composure and a few more key elements but he's 21. He doesn't do bad.

Now there's a surprise.

Rom in "gobbing off to the press" on International duty shocker.

Still cant keep his trap shut.

Miss his goals , dont miss his gob.

This story being ran is pretty much fabrication though, as was a lot of the stuff that was "said" by him when he was at our place. He's literally been praising Mourinho yesterday and saying they have a perfect relationship and it was his choice to leave him out if the final as he "looked rubbish in training". Just trying to sell papers as per.

Shaquiri as a squad player.
We have 37 squad players
We are trying to get rid of squad players
We were crap of the highest order last season because all we had were squad players.
We need to only sign players who will automatically without question walk straight into our first 11
There are only 5/6 players in our squad who I’d consider good enough to be on our first 11 AT THIS PRESENT MOMENT

Caps to stop the what about the youth

Yeah I agree.... Just think one cheap squad player won't hurt. We have to still looking forward to competing in Europe regularly and like I said, he could be a good purchase from a financial pov. He would get in our starting XI atm.

Yes, because he's a 20/21-yr-old thrown in at the deep end in his first 'full' season at a Premier League club.

Our failure to land a striker meant he was tasked with either leading our line or playing on the wing, with Rooney central.

The team were abysmal and there was no set pattern to the play.

Yes, he needs to improve his finishing and nobody will dispute that and I'm certainly not claiming he's world class, but these shouts to get rid are stupid.

He's quick, strong and good on the ball. Lacks composure and a few more key elements but he's 21. He doesn't do bad.

But it’s not about getting rid, it’s about him going on loan for a season. He then comes back having developed and with more experience.

He needs to go somewhere where he will get the game time in his actual position. He won’t get that here at the moment and will be on the bench behind tosun and possibly even another striker (as many on here think we need).

He is a good player, most people can see that. But he isn’t ready yet.

Yeah I agree.... Just think one cheap squad player won't hurt. We have to still looking forward to competing in Europe regularly and like I said, he could be a good purchase from a financial pov. He would get in our starting XI atm.
Id rather play Lookman who tries his heart out every game.
However AT THIS PRESENT MOMENT a Lookman is not ready to play every game.
As Leipzig have done 45/60 mins a game is plenty for him at this time

Take away those games against farmers in the Europa and Lookman and vlasic didn't score a goal between them this season, as well as Klaassen, that is my main concern tbh. Style of play, maybe, but do need more goals.

But it’s not about getting rid, it’s about him going on loan for a season. He then comes back having developed and with more experience.

He needs to go somewhere where he will get the game time in his actual position. He won’t get that here at the moment and will be on the bench behind tosun and possibly even another striker (as many on here think we need).

He is a good player, most people can see that. But he isn’t ready yet.

I don't think a loan would do him any good though. He already has that 'experience' from having played so much in this shambles of a season.

Him - and Davies - both need to be in our squad, rather than on loan. They aren't going to benefit from dropping down a level now.

He kind of needs to be ready to play every game this season though, don't you think? Well not every game obviously, but he'll be 21 early in the season and in his 4th season of senior football. At that point he should really be able to complete 90 minutes on a regular basis if he's got ambitions of being a top quality player, he can't be handled with kid gloves forever.

Take away those games against farmers in the Europa and Lookman and vlasic didn't score a goal between them this season, as well as Klaassen, that is my main concern tbh. Style of play, maybe, but do need more goals.

Lookman had 152 minutes of premier league football across 7 appearances. Il let him off for not scoring in the league.

Vlasic had 574 but again, I don’t really hold that against him. Think he needs to adjust to the league still.

I’d be starting lookman this coming season, with Vlasic replacing him around 60mins in. Gives them both game time and experience that the need but doesn’t overuse either of them.

Last edited:
I don't think a loan would do him any good though. He already has that 'experience' from having played so much in this shambles of a season.

Him - and Davies - both need to be in our squad, rather than on loan. They aren't going to benefit from dropping down a level now.

But he won’t get the game time in his position to develop. That’s the point. You are already saying he has that experience, having previously said he only got that due to us not signing a striker. We have signed a striker. Do you think he is ready to be our main striker? As we have another one now, and may well buy another one still. His appearances will end up being 10/15mins or playing on the wing. That won’t help him. He could go to another Prem club and get longer match time in his actual position.

Just because he has experience doesn’t mean he can’t go on loan and develop his game further, or even just get more confidence from it. Wilshere is what 26, and he was on loan at Bournemouth before then getting back into the fold for Arsenal.

I don't necessarily agree with that. I'm not saying they should definitely be loaned out, I just don't understand the school of thought that there would be no benefit to them in playing regularly somewhere else.

In my opinion, DCL needs to have improved quite a bit to still be a useful player for us this year. He did a decent job last year in difficult circumstances, but he's surely behind Tosun in the pecking order, probably behind Niasse as an impact player, and we have no European football this year so realistically how much game time would last seasons version of DCL get? Would it really be more beneficial for him to be here getting the odd run out once every 4 games and maybe being used out of position, than it would playing every week in his proper position? I'm not so sure.

Hopefully he'll have improved sufficiently over the summer for us not to have to worry about that. It's a big season for him this year though I think, as I said with Lookman in an earlier post (and Holgate and Kenny too) you can quickly turn from an exciting prospect to a bit of a disappointment at that age, just ask the likes of Barkley and Rodwell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back