Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
But he won’t get the game time in his position to develop. That’s the point. You are already saying he has that experience, having previously said he only got that due to us not signing a striker. We have signed a striker. Do you think he is ready to be our main striker? As we have another one now, and may well buy another one still. His appearances will end up being 10/15mins or playing on the wing. That won’t help him. He could go to another Prem club and get longer match time in his actual position.

Just because he has experience doesn’t mean he can’t go on loan and develop his game further, or even just get more confidence from it. Wilshere is what 26, and he was on loan at Bournemouth before then getting back into the fold for Arsenal.

He could easily get the game time to develop, if our signings are correct.

We don't need a massive squad this season. We need a squad who can compete.

We also don't know the system that the new coach/DoF want to play. We could well see us play with two strikers which means that DCL would definitely get the game time in his preferred role.

Until all that is established there is no point saying he needs to be loaned out.

And on your last point, look at Galloway, or Garbutt. Players who came in to our line ups, did relatively well, but we then sent on loan. Suddenly neither are anywhere to be found and are likely to leave.

Wilshere is different. He needed to overcome his injury troubles and Arsenal couldn't allow him to do that with them if it was going to take away from their side.

I don't necessarily agree with that. I'm not saying they should definitely be loaned out, I just don't understand the school of thought that there would be no benefit to them in playing regularly somewhere else.

In my opinion, DCL needs to have improved quite a bit to still be a useful player for us this year. He did a decent job last year in difficult circumstances, but he's surely behind Tosun in the pecking order, probably behind Niasse as an impact player, and we have no European football this year so realistically how much game time would last seasons version of DCL get? Would it really be more beneficial for him to be here getting the odd run out once every 4 games and maybe being used out of position, than it would playing every week in his proper position? I'm not so sure.

Hopefully he'll have improved sufficiently over the summer for us not to have to worry about that. It's a big season for him this year though I think, as I said with Lookman in an earlier post (and Holgate and Kenny too) you can quickly turn from an exciting prospect to a bit of a disappointment at that age, just ask the likes of Barkley and Rodwell.

Okay, there's definitely benefit of him playing elsewhere - I didn't make my point clear on that.

But I don't think that loaning him is the first option we should look at. It depends on what system and what style the manager uses but ultimately he's a very handy player to have in the squad.

Age aside, look at his attributes - quick, pretty strong, good in the air, got a decent first touch, versatile.

That's what we should be looking for in a squad player. He offers something that our other two strikers don't, but is obviously missing that crucial part of his game as well.

If we sign two strikers and only plan on playing one up front this year, then it'd make sense for him to go, definitely.

I just don't think this season is the time for him to be loaned out.

We'll see though.

I don't necessarily agree with that. I'm not saying they should definitely be loaned out, I just don't understand the school of thought that there would be no benefit to them in playing regularly somewhere else.

In my opinion, DCL needs to have improved quite a bit to still be a useful player for us this year. He did a decent job last year in difficult circumstances, but he's surely behind Tosun in the pecking order, probably behind Niasse as an impact player, and we have no European football this year so realistically how much game time would last seasons version of DCL get? Would it really be more beneficial for him to be here getting the odd run out once every 4 games and maybe being used out of position, than it would playing every week in his proper position? I'm not so sure.

Hopefully he'll have improved sufficiently over the summer for us not to have to worry about that. It's a big season for him this year though I think, as I said with Lookman in an earlier post (and Holgate and Kenny too) you can quickly turn from an exciting prospect to a bit of a disappointment at that age, just ask the likes of Barkley and Rodwell.
The difference between average / good players and truly outstanding players is that average / good players reach a point where they plateau and stop developing. Where as outstanding players just keep on getting better.

DCL needs regular game time if he is to carry on developing ( if indeed he does carry on developing ). I can`t see him being a regular starter for Everton this season and a loan would deffo be beneficial to him and probably us.

No player ever improved sitting on the bench.

Yes, because he's a 20/21-yr-old thrown in at the deep end in his first 'full' season at a Premier League club.

Our failure to land a striker meant he was tasked with either leading our line or playing on the wing, with Rooney central.

The team were abysmal and there was no set pattern to the play.

Yes, he needs to improve his finishing and nobody will dispute that and I'm certainly not claiming he's world class, but these shouts to get rid are stupid.

He's quick, strong and good on the ball. Lacks composure and a few more key elements but he's 21. He doesn't do bad.
You're wasting your time with this lot mate. DCL has become the new dog to kick now Barkley Cleverley and Osman have all gone.

No matter what you say it'll not change them. Enough of us have tried and failed.

The difference between average / good players and truly outstanding players is that average / good players reach a point where they plateau and stop developing. Where as outstanding players just keep on getting better.

DCL needs regular game time if he is to carry on developing ( if indeed he does carry on developing ). I can`t see him being a regular starter for Everton this season and a loan would deffo be beneficial to him and probably us.

No player ever improved sitting on the bench.

But then you have the Galloway/Garbutt argument that they'll actually regress.

Anyway, this thread is about Klassen.

I'd say there's a place for him as it stands but again it just depends how the manager wants to play.

Okay, there's definitely benefit of him playing elsewhere - I didn't make my point clear on that.

But I don't think that loaning him is the first option we should look at. It depends on what system and what style the manager uses but ultimately he's a very handy player to have in the squad.

Age aside, look at his attributes - quick, pretty strong, good in the air, got a decent first touch, versatile.

That's what we should be looking for in a squad player. He offers something that our other two strikers don't, but is obviously missing that crucial part of his game as well.

If we sign two strikers and only plan on playing one up front this year, then it'd make sense for him to go, definitely.

I just don't think this season is the time for him to be loaned out.

We'll see though.

with the cache of strikers we currently have at this point in time, i would genuinely play him in all the away games, and possibly home games, against the top 6 sides.
Tosun offers nothing in them games because he is far to static, that has been proven in the games he played last season.
As you have said, with DCL's skill set, he is made for these games more than any of our other strikers.
The lad is better than people think, but not as good as others think. He could get better, here's an idea, give the lad a chance and get behind him for once (not you @BlueToff as you are sticking up for him)

You're wasting your time with this lot mate. DCL has become the new dog to kick now Barkley Cleverley and Osman have all gone.

No matter what you say it'll not change them. Enough of us have tried and failed.

Dont forget Tom Davies aswell mate, its all about Beni Baninigime now..................until people get bored of him then he will get the treatment and Alex Denny will be the new superstar

Dont forget Tom Davies aswell mate, its all about Beni Baninigime now..................until people get bored of him then he will get the treatment and Alex Denny will be the new superstar
Every team has players who get it mate.

Look at the treatment Bale gets off a section of the fans at Madrid.

It`s the same at every club.

We`re no better / no worse than anyone else when it comes to getting on players backs.

Yes, because he's a 20/21-yr-old thrown in at the deep end in his first 'full' season at a Premier League club.

Our failure to land a striker meant he was tasked with either leading our line or playing on the wing, with Rooney central.

The team were abysmal and there was no set pattern to the play.

Yes, he needs to improve his finishing and nobody will dispute that and I'm certainly not claiming he's world class, but these shouts to get rid are stupid.

He's quick, strong and good on the ball. Lacks composure and a few more key elements but he's 21. He doesn't do bad.

Yes.

A gentle reminder that Harry Kane had scored just 3 PL goals and looked awful until he turned 21. The rest is history.

Imagine he was at Everton, we would've hounded him out ages ago.

DCL is good and will continue to get better - think he's got everything needed to become a top striker if he applies himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back