Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
with the cache of strikers we currently have at this point in time, i would genuinely play him in all the away games, and possibly home games, against the top 6 sides.
Tosun offers nothing in them games because he is far to static, that has been proven in the games he played last season.
As you have said, with DCL's skill set, he is made for these games more than any of our other strikers.
The lad is better than people think, but not as good as others think. He could get better, here's an idea, give the lad a chance and get behind him for once (not you @BlueToff as you are sticking up for him)
There is a an argument to consider Walcott up front for those games too. His extra pace could give us that bit more threat.

DCL is never a Premier League Striker in a million years.

He's terrible.
Two thirds of the strikers who have played in the premier league this season are worse than DCL. He would have got game time in any team outside of the top 6. In fact, even Ings and Solanke got game time for a team in the top 6.

..linked with Besiktas playmaker, Oghuzan Ozyakup. Turkish press suggesting Davy Klaassen could be part of any move.

The Daily Mail reckon we’re interested in Aston Villa’s Jack Grealish.

I said this might be the case about 2 pages ago. It seemed odd that him and Onyekru were both linked with loans to Besiktas.

I pray it is true.

..linked with Besiktas playmaker, Oghuzan Ozyakup. Turkish press suggesting Davy Klaassen could be part of any move.

Jack Grealish who dropped down to the Championship after being a PL regular for 2 years as a youngster? Weird that he hasn't regressed, I heard everyone who stepped down a level did...

You're wasting your time with this lot mate. DCL has become the new dog to kick now Barkley Cleverley and Osman have all gone.

No matter what you say it'll not change them. Enough of us have tried and failed.

But from what I’m reading, the majority believe he will be good enough, but for him to get to that point, he needs to go somewhere where he will get to play regularly in his favoured position. Rather than being a bit part or on the wing for us.

There’s a difference to scapegoating him or to thinking he would develop better elsewhere before coming back to us stronger and more prepared for what we are aiming for.

can't wait to see what players Brands and Silva bring. Will be hard with the world cup on but surely must have targets lined up.

That's pure guesswork. You assume they've lost confidence because they've not been playing. It's a reasonable hypothesis but you can't just state it as fact because you've got no idea. You also can't assume the loss of confidence is because of the loan, which is the point I was trying to get across. If Galloway couldn't get a game for WBA or Sunderland then he wouldn't have got a game for us, so how exactly would that have helped his confidence levels?

By the same token, you could argue that Holgate, Kenny, Lookman and Vlasic lost confidence when staying here because they kept getting dropped. I would say that Davies definitely seemed to lose confidence this year because he was genuinely struggling to keep his head above water. He was trying to do everything at 100mph because everyone was bigger faster and stronger than him and it looked like he'd been told to stop losing the ball so he just stopped playing his natural game. That's not beneficial in my opinion.

Again, i'm not saying DCL should be loaned out at all, simply that I can see the logic in suggesting it. As this is the transfer thread I would expand on that by saying I think we need better options up front than we had last year. If DCL hasn't improved significantly then I believe we need to bring someone in who offers more of a threat.

I wasn't suggesting that the loss of form/confidence was at all down to purely lack of game time. There's a few factors - that being one of them.

But I think it's reasonable to say that Galloway, for example, was settled at Everton. He seemed to get along with everybody and knew he could slot in a few different roles. Koeman thought differently and while at the time I thought a loan move was right, in hindsight it wasn't at all - or maybe the move to WBA itself was wrong. Since then he hasn't been good enough, clearly.

I agree with your analysis on DCL. But I think there's other areas of the team to target first.

It's also why I'd suggest that if we go for a forward I'd rather it be somebody who can play anywhere across the front line, to mean that they aren't limited to one role and DCL could be used as a 'striker' rather than the jack-of-all trades utility man.

Jack Grealish who dropped down to the Championship after being a PL regular for 2 years as a youngster? Weird that he hasn't regressed, I heard everyone who stepped down a level did...

Nobody said that, did they?

The thing with Grealish is he wasn't good enough for the Premier League but has found his level having been the main man in his team.

I don't think that's the same as loaning somebody out and them only being a temporary player there.

I just don't see the need to loan DCL out even if we get a forward in - although I acknowledge that it depends on how the manager wants to play.

Did the article mention whether he was out of contract this summer? Seems to be a bit of debate over whether he signed a new one a couple of months ago. Transfermarkt.com, who are normally quite reliable on such things, says his contract is up this month.

The lads a footballer. His style reminds me of Payet and he linked up well with Tosun for Besiktas and Turkey.

Not sure how he'd fit in the hustle and bustle of the premier though.

But from what I’m reading, the majority believe he will be good enough, but for him to get to that point, he needs to go somewhere where he will get to play regularly in his favoured position. Rather than being a bit part or on the wing for us.

There’s a difference to scapegoating him or to thinking he would develop better elsewhere before coming back to us stronger and more prepared for what we are aiming for.

Well until we're in a position where we're strong enough to loan out our leading assister and third-highest scorer, I think it's best for him and us that he stays.

Should we sign another out-and-out centre-forward, then by all means let's see what the options are (should Niasse stay, of course).

Did the article mention whether he was out of contract this summer? Seems to be a bit of debate over whether he signed a new one a couple of months ago. Transfermarkt.com, who are normally quite reliable on such things, says his contract is up this month.

The lads a footballer. His style reminds me of Payet and he linked up well with Tosun for Besiktas and Turkey.

Not sure how he'd fit in the hustle and bustle of the premier though.

He's out of contract this summer, but may sign a new one with the caveat that he'll be sold.

He is a good player although not certain on the Payet comparison? He's much more akin to a Brozovic at Inter whenever I've seen him.

Diminutive central midfielder who is comfortable sitting deep and getting on the ball.

Well until we're in a position where we're strong enough to loan out our leading assister and third-highest scorer, I think it's best for him and us that he stays.

Should we sign another out-and-out centre-forward, then by all means let's see what the options are (should Niasse stay, of course).

Of course. Don’t get me wrong, I would only loan him out if we sign another forward, and Niasse is in Silvas plans. You need 3 strikers. I just feel he would develop more elsewhere if the opportunity arises (and only somewhere in the premier league or bundesliga, as they are the two top leagues imo and he shouldnt be dropping down a level at this point).

I'm not necessarily talking abut the majority. I'm talking about the dozen or more on here who really don't rate the lad at all. No matter what you say that won't change so I'm saying best to ignore them. Even if I find it hard to myself:)

As regards developing the player, in my opinion that's best done by us. We can control things ourselves. Once you send somebody out on loan you lose that control. Plus it has to be at a high enough standard. For DCL that would be another premier league club or maybe Germany or France. Send him to the championship and all he'll learn his how to score goals against championship defenders. In my opinion of course.

You can use that argument if and when Grealish comes back up to the premier league and continues playing at the same level. At the moment he's still playing against Championship players.

There will always be exceptions to the rule if you look hard enough. But my point still stands, if you want to develop the qualities of a young player you don't send him to a lower division. You need to test him and let him learn from his mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back