Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't suggesting that the loss of form/confidence was at all down to purely lack of game time. There's a few factors - that being one of them.

But I think it's reasonable to say that Galloway, for example, was settled at Everton. He seemed to get along with everybody and knew he could slot in a few different roles. Koeman thought differently and while at the time I thought a loan move was right, in hindsight it wasn't at all - or maybe the move to WBA itself was wrong. Since then he hasn't been good enough, clearly.

I agree with your analysis on DCL. But I think there's other areas of the team to target first.

It's also why I'd suggest that if we go for a forward I'd rather it be somebody who can play anywhere across the front line, to mean that they aren't limited to one role and DCL could be used as a 'striker' rather than the jack-of-all trades utility man.
I disagree with on Galloway, he didn't play a single minute of football for us after Christmas 2015. Martinez didn't pick him, Unsworth didn't pick him and then Koeman didn't pick him. He had been brought into the side because we had no other senior left backs. He did OK filling in but once Oviedo and Baines were fit again he found himself behind both of them and hardly even made the bench for the last few months of the season. He didn't slot in to any role other than full back, because he never played a game anywhere else for the first team.

Garbutt is an even more obvious one. He's only ever played 286 minutes of Premier League football in his entire life, and they all came when he was 21, nearly 22. He has quite simply never been a Premier League player, nothing to do with confidence or chances or whatever, the simple fact is at age 25 he's played more football in the bottom 2 divisions than he has in the top 2. The fact he put some decent crosses in in a Europa League game once doesn't change that.

Nobody said that, did they?

The thing with Grealish is he wasn't good enough for the Premier League but has found his level having been the main man in his team.

I don't think that's the same as loaning somebody out and them only being a temporary player there.

I just don't see the need to loan DCL out even if we get a forward in - although I acknowledge that it depends on how the manager wants to play.
Yes, somebody did a page or 2 back. I think it's picking and choosing to a ridiculous extent to start making different rules for players on loan and permanent signings. Either dropping down can be beneficial or it can't.

Did the article mention whether he was out of contract this summer? Seems to be a bit of debate over whether he signed a new one a couple of months ago. Transfermarkt.com, who are normally quite reliable on such things, says his contract is up this month.

The lads a footballer. His style reminds me of Payet and he linked up well with Tosun for Besiktas and Turkey.

Not sure how he'd fit in the hustle and bustle of the premier though.

...it said he recently penned a new deal which has a £12m release clause which can only be triggered by a foreign club.

Two thirds of the strikers who have played in the premier league this season are worse than DCL. He would have got game time in any team outside of the top 6. In fact, even Ings and Solanke got game time for a team in the top 6.

He's terrible mate.

As Evertonians we hold onto things for too long - in the hope they will come good.

DCL is a striker who cannot score goals. I'm sure he will do well in the Championship or SPL but he just isn't good enough for the PL.

You can use that argument if and when Grealish comes back up to the premier league and continues playing at the same level. At the moment he's still playing against Championship players.

There will always be exceptions to the rule if you look hard enough. But my point still stands, if you want to develop the qualities of a young player you don't send him to a lower division. You need to test him and let him learn from his mistakes.
You have your opinion, and I have mine. There are many exceptions to this 'rule' of course, but fair enough if you don't want to include Grealish as one.

I disagree with on Galloway, he didn't play a single minute of football for us after Christmas 2015. Martinez didn't pick him, Unsworth didn't pick him and then Koeman didn't pick him. He had been brought into the side because we had no other senior left backs. He did OK filling in but once Oviedo and Baines were fit again he found himself behind both of them and hardly even made the bench for the last few months of the season. He didn't slot in to any role other than full back, because he never played a game anywhere else for the first team.

Garbutt is an even more obvious one. He's only ever played 286 minutes of Premier League football in his entire life, and they all came when he was 21, nearly 22. He has quite simply never been a Premier League player, nothing to do with confidence or chances or whatever, the simple fact is at age 25 he's played more football in the bottom 2 divisions than he has in the top 2. The fact he put some decent crosses in in a Europa League game once doesn't change that.

Yes, somebody did a page or 2 back. I think it's picking and choosing to a ridiculous extent to start making different rules for players on loan and permanent signings. Either dropping down can be beneficial or it can't.

As @Barnfred 55 says mate, you're point on Grealish will be proven if he comes to the Prem this summer (likely, I'd imagine) and continues his form.

Until then all we can say is he's found his level in the Championship.

He's terrible mate.

As Evertonians we hold onto things for too long - in the hope they will come good.

DCL is a striker who cannot score goals. I'm sure he will do well in the Championship or SPL but he just isn't good enough for the PL.

He isn't terrible.

He's 21, has just had his first full senior season and has finished as our third highest scorer and leading assister, having had to lead the line in a team with no style of play, functioning midfield or settled squad/management.

You have your opinion, and I have mine. There are many exceptions to this 'rule' of course, but fair enough if you don't want to include Grealish as one.
He might be mate.

He used to be a right bellend (and may still be for all I know) but he did have good ability on the ball. I remember him coming on as a sub in an England U21 game a couple of seasons ago and I was well impressed with him.

All I'm saying is that until he comes back into the premier and does it on a regular basis, then you can't say for certain he's developed. All you can say is that he's a good Championship player.

He might be mate.

He used to be a right bellend (and may still be for all I know) but he did have good ability on the ball. I remember him coming on as a sub in an England U21 game a couple of seasons ago and I was well impressed with him.

All I'm saying is that until he comes back into the premier and does it on a regular basis, then you can't say for certain he's developed. All you can say is that he's a good Championship player.
No I agree, sorry I was being genuine in that last reply not sarky. It just made me laugh that the link came up during the ongoing conversation.

He's terrible mate.

He's played one season in the league. Good job we didn't have Gareth Bale, Robert Pires, Thierry Henry, Roberto Firmino, Frank Lampard, Robin Van Persie, Nemanja Vidic, David De Gea, Patrice Evra.....

He's terrible mate.

He isn't terrible. He really isn't. He's not good enough yet to be a regular starter for us, but he isn't terrible.

You say we hold onto things too long, in the hope they come good. I say if you write everybody off at 21 because they aren't yet good enough there's no point having a youth set up.

You say he's not premier standard. I say, with the exception of James Vardey, what premier strikers outside of the top 6 would you replace him with.?

He isn't terrible. He really isn't. He's not good enough yet to be a regular starter for us, but he isn't terrible.

You say we hold onto things too long, in the hope they come good. I say if you write everybody off at 21 because they aren't yet good enough there's no point having a youth set up.

You say he's not premier standard. I say, with the exception of James Vardey, what premier strikers outside of the top 6 would you replace him with.?

No.

Lookman is a great talent. So is Vlasic. I think Holgate should be a first choice CB next season and I think Davies is a useful player.

DCL is a striker who doesn't score goals. No excuses. Age literally doesn't matter.

For every Harry Kane argument, there's a Rooney, Owen, Sterling etc etc.

For once I disagree with you mate.

There's loans to get game time at senior level for young players that haven't had that exposure, and there's loans designed to develop a players abilities. The former is there to expose the lad to the realities of open age football, see if they are up to the physical side of the game and have the mental strength needed to be a professional footballer. The latter is to improve the players qualities and work on their weaknesses.

Ages 18/23 are probably the most important in player development. Ideally you would manage this development yourself as you lose control once you've sent the player out on loan. But the important thing is that the player is getting 1-1 coaching on their own area's for improvement, are learning daily in training from working with better players and coaches, and are constantly challenged when playing against the better players. So any player we're sending out for development needs to be done at a standard where they will be challenged, where they will have to improve to succeed.

So take DCL as an example. He's already played nearly 100 senior games, 50 of those at Everton. Send him to the championship on loan next season and you'll end up with a player that scores goals against championship level players and defenders. Think Tammy Abrahams, who was prolific at Bristol City season before last. If he stayed here, he would get plenty of game time as understudy to Tosun, most of it from the bench maybe, but still lots of game time to develop in a more attack minded system.

If we brought in another striker (either first choice or back up to Tosun) I'd send him out on loan as he wouldn't get the game time, but I'd find a club in the premiership or maybe the Bundesliga. There will be plenty of takers.
As much as I respect your opinion mate, I just don't see that he has it in him to be an outstanding player. There just isn't anything about him, that stands out.

However I'll be more than happy to be proved wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back