Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sincerely hope that Tierney honours his words and remains at Celtic. It is always heartening when a talented footballer spurns obscene financial remuneration to play the sport he loves for the club he supports. The moment he reneges on that promise he becomes just another overpaid, pot chasing young man of dubious fidelity,which I find sad.
I think many of us on here have become jaundiced in our views of footballers professions of support in the wake of the series of dishonourable scoundrels who have passed through our club ranks in recent years. Entirely understandable.
Theoretically I agree with you, but we can’t have it both ways.

People go on (and on) about mentality, and winners, and NSNO, so we all need to want to be the absolute best. Players like osman and Hibbert are ‘stealing a living’ and having ex players as coaches is just ‘jobs for the boys’. But then when someone like stones or lukaku or Barkley or fellaini or whoever decides they’d actually quite like to win something and play with better players and coaches, they’re horrible turncoats and if they had anything about them they’d stay and make us better.

I can see both sides. If (big if) tierney is as good as people say, is staying at Celtic to be applauded on a loyalty basis, or derided as a player who won’t challenge himself or move outside his comfort zone? Not straightforward in my opinion.

...I think he’s a bit of an in-between player in that he’s not a Left Back and seemed to have his own way of playing wing back. I know @davek was keen, be interesting if Benitez wants him after having him on loan. Talented but i’m not convinced about his application.
I'd like to see him here. Some people are in-betweeners as you suggest. Beausejour was another but fitted a creative system as per the one Chile played.

I'd like to see him here. Some people are in-betweeners as you suggest. Beausejour was another but fitted a creative system as per the one Chile played.

..it’s all down to the playing strategy. The problem we’ve had is buying players with no view on what system we aim to play. It’s why I try and not have a view on individuals. Here’s hoping we buy to fit rather than just buy.

Surprising how there has never been an official bid in for him.
Maybe clubs think he’s crap
Maybe they don’t see what we see
Maybe his agent has hawked him around every PL club and they all said no thanks don’t fancy him.

Or maybe just maybe he’s told his agent
“ I don’t want to leave Celtic YET , so tell all interested clubs that “

Or maybe clubs that are interested don't wanna meet Celtics valuation YET

Make no mistake though if someone offers to triple the lads wages, meets Celtics valuation, and is ensconced in the top half or higher if the league then he'll be gone.

Similar stuff was said about mcgeady at Celtic, he ended up moving to Russia.

Coleman left an amateur sport to play part time for Sligo where he still needed a 9-5 job to pay the rent
Big difference from him coming to Everton and Tierney leaving Celtic.
I’ve no doubt he will leave but I doubt it’ll be for a couple of seasons
As the lad himself says “ I’m living the dream “

And if Coleman was offered 200k per week by man united, he'd be off like a shot and don't kid yourself he wouldn't

..i’d be amazed if he doesn’t move on. Loyalty is fantastic, but clubs are rejecting hundreds of young lads every year. Tierney signing the deal guaranteed his club big bucks. Brilliant. Compare that to Barkley.
Or we could be dealing with that relative rarity in modern football, an honourable young man whose word actually has veracity and whose loyalty counts for more than an exorbitant increase to a already sizeable pay packet.
With respect , I hope your wrong on this one.

“Tierney is the prototype target of the new management team – a young and exciting player who may be tempted by the challenge of the English Premier League”.

About time!

Anyone relying on loyalty in football is usually left disappointed. Why should Tierney be any different?

The only question here is would any genuine interest in our part be given any encouragement from the player himself?

For any player with any profile or recognition at all, we are in a no mans land where our approach can just be used to flush out interest from bigger sides, if there is any. It’s going to be immensely difficult for Brands in that respect and probably goes a long way to blocking us getting any business done earlier.

At the end of the day, if Celtic receive an offer from say, Man Utd, then Tierney isn’t staying at Celtic no matter what the circumstances.

They’ll accept with relish any bid that is acceptable to them. It will be about as easy as Brendan Rodgers describing a cup semi-final draw against Stenhousemuir as a “tough test” and pretending he means it.

Theoretically I agree with you, but we can’t have it both ways.

People go on (and on) about mentality, and winners, and NSNO, so we all need to want to be the absolute best. Players like osman and Hibbert are ‘stealing a living’ and having ex players as coaches is just ‘jobs for the boys’. But then when someone like stones or lukaku or Barkley or fellaini or whoever decides they’d actually quite like to win something and play with better players and coaches, they’re horrible turncoats and if they had anything about them they’d stay and make us better.

I can see both sides. If (big if) tierney is as good as people say, is staying at Celtic to be applauded on a loyalty basis, or derided as a player who won’t challenge himself or move outside his comfort zone? Not straightforward in my opinion.
You are right of course. I am always personally saddened when players who have been loyal club servants are vindictively abused. It is not a new aspect of any clubs support though , I remember for instance when Reid was nearing the end of his playing days he received terrible abuse from the terraces , very sad and he wasn't the first nor will he be the last. Perhaps we get the loyalty we deserve.
Conversely I remember people making snide comments about players such as Le Tissier and Bull purely because they spurned moves to 'bigger' clubs. I admired them personally.
Finally I remember a player I despised who was our bete noir for many years earning my respect for choosing to turn down a move to Chelsea and choosing to stay at the club he supported.
It is an imperfect world but those who earn my respect are those for whom honour and loyalty hold some meaning.

If the Diakhaby stuff is true, then there are a few positives and a few negatives from the approach.

Good
1) He's a good player, so its good to see us linked with this type of progressive player
2) Nothing has come out until now, so hopefully stuff is going on that none of us know about

Bad
1)There are bigger teams about than Valencia, and if he has turned down more money to go to them instead of us, we are going to find it hard to attract people here (I wonder if the spat with the fan at goodison made any decision for it)
2) Are we only in for him as the quoted 15m? Would someone like Diop who people on here rate be out of our price range? Do we have only 15m to spend on a starting centre half?
3) Providing that Keane is the other starting centre back, is it wise to put a fairly inexperienced player alingside him, considering Keane tends to need a leader next to him

Depends which way you want to look at it
There's no upside here. He has chosen cl football over more money. End of.

Dom King:

"There will be significant changes at Goodison Park in the coming weeks. Wayne Rooney's move to DC United will herald a number of outgoings, as Brands looks to trim a bloated squad with Morgan Schneiderlin, the France midfielder, keen to leave. It could also be that they will listen to offers for England under-21 international Mason Holgate."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back