Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. So no one has the foggiest whether Brands ahas made a series of great short term deals on 13 plkayers who have left the club without a fee so far, or whether he's just got them out the door by accepting terms that are way better for the receiving club than Everton.

Why is there an assumption here that Brands is had a storming summer? Even the players brought in so far are unable to be judged because we got them in so late and they're all fighting off injuries / getting match fit apart from Richarlison.

I agree with you principal mate, it is far to early to make Brands an idol. There is a temporary feel to some of the work done for me, Gomes, Zouma, Mina (potentially) are temporary deals.

Equally Mirralas, Vlasic, Bolaise, Martina, Besic, etc are still Everton players.

I think maybe the above was the best we could do after a basket case season and unattractive profile, we essentially raided bigger clubs benches. Maybe we need to accept thats where we are.

Equally the loan deals out offer relif to supporters who have been unethused with the playersin question, but are still our players and we could be having the same conversations on them this time next year.

Again though maybe this was the best we could do given the ppor recruitment and ridiculous contracts these lads were given or were on. It likely we needed to stem the flow of blood from the wage bill was unsustainable, but i agree with you what percent we are supplementing that is an important point. I tend to think you dont move the amount of players on loan we did without it being worthwhile for buying club so i would think we are supplementing a bit to enable regulating numbers and for assistance in managing our wage bill.

As for signings Rico is a gem, ive thought so since he turned up at Watford and seen nothing else to think otherwise, we had a trump card in Silva. Bernard from what i have seen particularly in the CL looks a canny punt, i saw him tear City a new one last season so im hopeful there. Dinge was badly needed and looks more then apt. These signings have all been in the areas i would have hoped for. Im also excited about Virgina he looks a very good keeper. Keeping Lookman was excellent business too.

Some of the permanent signings out ive been impressed with from a wage saving point of view, even if we made a loss of the fee.

So ultimately, we did some good temporary deals that might prove successful they may not be long term Everton players, we did some temporary deals out who could come back to us. We signed a group of players permanently that balance the squad with good potential, we got some huge wages of the bill on loan although i would say some are supplemented and reduced some number permanently.

All in all, it was probabaly the best we could do, given our low profile currently and urgent needs for cashflow. Its far from a revolution and i would Brands aspires for more in a different context. He about hit par or maybe a bit over in my opinion.

Ultimately in two years time we could only have Bernard, Rico, Dinge and Virgina still here, with Bolaise, Mirallas, Vlasic etc back.

Personally i dont place the huge emphasis on transfers many do on here, it can be done with minimum but canny recruitment. But with about 90% of the players we have signed not playing three games for Everton yet, i wouldnt be calling the window a success just yet, or giving interviews stating it.

The whole things reminds me of the Moyes regime, making the best use of the loan market, raiding the benches of bigger clubs for players with potential, signing players on an upward trajectory at lower establsihed clubs, not that necessarily is a bad thing mind.

Long way to go before a judgement can be reached on this window or the performance of those involved in it in my opinion. No one invloved in it needs to be proclamid a deity or lynched just yet. Thankfully we look to have a very good manager who can really see potential and build foundations and platforms to bring it on to the pitch.

He got a team to take Ashley Williams away from us... That in my eyes is akin to when *Jesus turned water into wine. Miraculous.

* This may or may not have happened (P.S. Pretty sure it didn't...)

Yep hold on, I'll have them on your desk by 4pm.

Of course I can't bloody prove it, the same way you can't prove that ever single player on loan was given away for free and we're paying 100% of their wages.... Which is 100% not what brands has done.

I know you can't be swayed from your opinion but step back a little and put yourself in his shoes. You look at the performances of Cuco Martina, Ashley Williams, Kevin mirallas and Nicola Vlasic (barely anyone would know who he is) last season and tell me how on earth you're going to try and get these guys wages off our books? It would be so so tough, especially when you're going to sound a little desperate given how bad they are and how high their wages are.

He had to do about 15 deals like that, as well get a host of new signings in whilst starting a new job in a small window whilst the footballing world was engrossed in the world cup. My expectations of him were high but we've done twice the business I thought we would be able to as well as it being five times the quality.

There's nobody left right now in our squad that we can moan about being a waste of wages imo. Mccarthy being maybe the only one, but understandably wasn't an option to move on nor is he that crap really.

I accepted we'd have about four or five like Martina just hanging around our squad being a waste of wages.

Don’t say that. There are quite a few players davek can moan about still being in the squad (two first teamers for a start)

You said yourself they were “immovable”. He has moved them, so by your own measure surely he should deserve some credit. Some might even say moving things that are “immovable” is miraculous...?
How does my saying some of the players Brands has had to shift are immovable tat contradict my insistence that we dont know how well or badly Brands has done in getting them out the door for a season?

It beggars belief that you think there is a contradiction.

I agree with you principal mate, it is far to early to make Brands an idol. There is a temporary feel to some of the work done for me, Gomes, Zouma, Mina (potentially) are temporary deals.

Equally Mirralas, Vlasic, Bolaise, Martina, Besic, etc are still Everton players.

I think maybe the above was the best we could do after a basket case season and unattractive profile, we essentially raided bigger clubs benches. Maybe we need to accept thats where we are.

Equally the loan deals out offer relif to supporters who have been unethused with the playersin question, but are still our players and we could be having the same conversations on them this time next year.

Again though maybe this was the best we could do given the ppor recruitment and ridiculous contracts these lads were given or were on. It likely we needed to stem the flow of blood from the wage bill was unsustainable, but i agree with you what percent we are supplementing that is an important point. I tend to think you dont move the amount of players on loan we did without it being worthwhile for buying club so i would think we are supplementing a bit to enable regulating numbers and for assistance in managing our wage bill.

As for signings Rico is a gem, ive thought so since he turned up at Watford and seen nothing else to think otherwise, we had a trump card in Silva. Bernard from what i have seen particularly in the CL looks a canny punt, i saw him tear City a new one last season so im hopeful there. Dinge was badly needed and looks more then apt. These signings have all been in the areas i would have hoped for. Im also excited about Virgina he looks a very good keeper. Keeping Lookman was excellent business too.

Some of the permanent signings out ive been impressed with from a wage saving point of view, even if we made a loss of the fee.

So ultimately, we did some good temporary deals that might prove successful they may not be long term Everton players, we did some temporary deals out who could come back to us. We signed a group of players permanently that balance the squad with good potential, we got some huge wages of the bill on loan although i would say some are supplemented and reduced some number permanently.

All in all, it was probabaly the best we could do, given our low profile currently and urgent needs for cashflow. Its far from a revolution and i would Brands aspires for more in a different context. He about hit par or maybe a bit over in my opinion.

Ultimately in two years time we could only have Bernard, Rico, Dinge and Virgina still here, with Bolaise, Mirallas, Vlasic etc back.

Personally i dont place the huge emphasis on transfers many do on here, it can be done with minimum but canny recruitment. But with about 90% of the players we have signed not playing three games for Everton yet, i wouldnt be calling the window a success just yet, or giving interviews stating it.

The whole things reminds me of the Moyes regime, making the best use of the loan market, raiding the benches of bigger clubs for players with potential, signing players on an upward trajectory at lower establsihed clubs, not that necessarily is a bad thing mind.

Long way to go before a judgement can be reached on this window or the performance of those involved in it in my opinion. No one invloved in it needs to be proclamid a deity or lynched just yet. Thankfully we look to have a very good manager who can really see potential and build foundations and platforms to bring it on to the pitch.

Yes, and that's all that's being asked for at the end of the day: a level-headed assessment of Brands that acknowledges that there were structural difficulties here when he arrived which he's attacked, but that we cant possibly tell yet (apart from one or two, like offloading a big earner such as Rooney) whether the deals done by him (either incoming or potentialy outgoing on a permanant basis) have been good or bad.

Like you I'm a bit dubious of the self-congratualtory slaps on the back he gave a few weeks back and I think he was exploiting a certain knowledge that Everton supporters have been on board with the policy of swinging the axe and he wanted to bathe in that glow for a bit. There's no excuse for fans at this club though to just take a more objective view of Brands and not hand him a status unearned as yet. We've seen loads of characters in and out of the club in recent years to know that leaping to judge early isn't the best policy.

People can moan and whine all they like. In reality those on loan will not be playing for us this season and at a minimum will have their enormous cost paid for by a third party, they remain an "asset" until sold, so we have a vested interest in them performing well on their loans.

Experience tells us that if they do well, receiving clubs wil want to buy them.

Only the most churlish curmudgeon could even question the excellent work of our new management team in this, their first window at the club. No player sold or moved out that they did not want out of the door.

For once, just once naysayers, give credit where it is due.

People can moan and whine all they like. In reality those on loan will not be playing for us this season and at a minimum will have their enormous cost paid for by a third party, they remain an "asset" until sold, so we have a vested interest in them performing well on their loans.

Experience tells us that if they do well, receiving clubs wil want to buy them.

Only the most churlish curmudgeon could even question the excellent work of our new management team in this, their first window at the club. No player sold or moved out that they did not want out of the door.

For once, just once naysayers, give credit where it is due.
Some people will moan and whine regardless mate. No matter what happens.

Yes, and that's all that's being asked for at the end of the day: a level-headed assessment of Brands that acknowledges that there were structural difficulties here when he arrived which he's attacked, but that we cant possibly tell yet (apart from one or two, like offloading a big earner such as Rooney) whether the deals done by him (either incoming or potentialy outgoing on a permanant basis) have been good or bad.

Like you I'm a bit dubious of the self-congratualtory slaps on the back he gave a few weeks back and I think he was exploiting a certain knowledge that Everton supporters have been on board with the policy of swinging the axe and he wanted to bathe in that glow for a bit. There's no excuse for fans at this club though to just take a more objective view of Brands and not hand him a status unearned as yet. We've seen loads of characters in and out of the club in recent years to know that leaping to judge early isn't the best policy.

Thats it in a nutshell really. We arent even a rung on the ladder of this regime yet or any of these players playing more then 3 games for Everton with the majority playing none, we dont know the financial impact or the context to many of the deals in or out or how they impact on the welfare of Everton.

Besides we are not in the business of having a successful transfer windows we are football club, we are in the results and trophy business recruitment is a side show. Leicester have won the league playing journey men and Championship players, recruitment in a lot of ways can be a contributing factor but ultimately its about good football management in my opinion. I cant see young "ladz" walking around County Road with Brands on the back of their shirt, no matter what profile is built and or cultivated.

The man needs time to work through the limits and context of the last regime, if he has the talent many are ascribing to him, but judgement and proof is a long way off being determined. He has probably done the best he could given the context.

We finished 8th last season, that has to be the reasonable benchmark in the context of recruitment for this regime, year one.

Last edited:
How does my saying some of the players Brands has had to shift are immovable tat contradict my insistence that we dont know how well or badly Brands has done in getting them out the door for a season?

It beggars belief that you think there is a contradiction.

Because “immovable” literally means they are incapable of being moved. Even if you don’t take the very literal meaning of the word, your insinuation was that the players bought last year were so bad that no other clubs would want them and we would be stuck with them, because they are, you know - immmovable.

So, were you wrong in your assessment of those players and all Brands has done is move on some players that weren’t that bad after all, or were you right in that the business was terrible last year and Brands has done a good job in moving players on that you yourself described as “immovable”?
Seems you’re taking opposing views again and trying to make them fit different agendas, Dave :coffee:

Ok Dave.

Garbutt 1m fee 80% wages
Tarashaj 500k fee 100%
Onyekuru 2m 100%
Williams 8m 100%
Robinson 1m 60%
Mirallas 4m 50%
Connolly 500k 40%
Vlasic 1.5m 60%
Martin 250k 65%
Besic 3m 30%
Bolasie 5m 50%
Sandro 2m 60%
Pennington Free 50%

I gave you the list, now its on to disprove any of my figures.
Ha. You'd probably half believe that if it wasn't for the Williams figureslol

So this the final squad list of the summer transfer window! Hopefully you’ve all found this of some use/ interest:

1. Pickford (GK) 24
  2. Robles (GK) 28 ❌
  3. Stekelenberg (GK) 35
  4. Joao Virginia (GK) 18 ⬅️
  5. Coleman (RB) 29
  6. Kenny (RB) 21
  7. Martina (RB) 28 ❌ (loan)
  8. Digne (LB) 25 ⬅️
  9. Baines (LB) 33
  10. Garbutt (LB) 25 ❌ (loan)
  11. Robinson (LB) 20 ❌ (loan)
  12. Mina (CB) 23 ⬅️
  13. Zouma (CB) 23 ⬅️
  14. Jagielka (CB) 36
  15. Williams (CB) 33 ❌ (loan)
  16. Keane (CB) 25
  17. Funes Mori (CB) 27 ❌
  18. Holgate (CB) 21
  19. Pennington (CB) 23 ❌ (loan)
  20. Browning (CB) 24
  21. Galloway (CB) 22
  22. Gueye (DM) 28
  23. Baningime (DM) 19
  24. Schneiderlin (DM) 28
  25. McCarthy (DM) 27
  26. Besic (DM) 25 ❌ (loan)
  27. Connolly (DM) 20 ❌ (loan)
  28. Klaassen (CM) 25 ❌
  29. Davies (CM) 20
  30. André Gomes (CM) 25 ⬅️
  31. Bernard (AM) 25 ⬅️
  32. Rooney (AM) 32 ❌
  33. Sigurdsson (AM) 28
  34. Dowell (AM) 20
  35. Tarashaj (AM) 23 ❌ (loan)
  36. Vlasic (RW) 20 ❌ (loan)
  37. Walcott (RW) 29
  38. Sandro (RW) 23 ❌ (loan)
  39. Richarlison (LW) 21 ⬅️
  40. Lookman (LW) 20
  41. Bolasie (LW) 29 ❌ (loan)
  42. Mirallas (LW) 30 ❌ (loan)
  43. Onyekuru (LW) 21 ❌ (loan)
  44. Tosun (ST) 27
  45. Calvert-Lewin (ST) 21
  46. Niasse (ST) 28

In: 7 (Richarlison, Digne, Joao Virginia, Bernard, Mina, André Gomes, Zouma)

Out: 17 (Robles, Funes Mori, Rooney, Garbutt, Onyekuru, Tarashaj, Klaassen, Williams, Robinson, Mirallas, Connolly, Vlasic, Martina, Besic, Bolasie, Sandro, Pennington)

Current Total: 29

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back