Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer transfer speculative hopes and dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was cleverly concealed, but the sort of technique I might have used myself.

Oh, and he successfully shifted the topic onto ex-players to get @Adversus off the main subject, which was amusing to read and skilfully executed.
Sorry I missed that when did he (I haven't been following the thread, chico?) do this?

What main subject? What the [Poor language removed] is going on?

I don't get the argument "proven premier league defender". He is as proven as Alcaraz and Liam Rigwell in my opinion. Premier league is not a whole world and you can get better players for less money from elsewhere.

My problem with dann is a combinatin of his quality, age and price. If he'd cost us 3mln than no problem but for 8 we should get better quality. And the fact that some clubs are overpaying constantly and willing to pay 20 million for average players doesn't mean that we should overpay for 8mln priced lad.
you keep on stating this yet not backing it up with any examples.

Last year lots of premier league clubs that we are competing with signed CBs
united Rojo 16m
city Mangala 40m
Liverpool Lovren 20m
spurs Dier 4m (equivalent to our Galloway signing)
Arsenal Chambers 16m, Paulista 11m

About the only one who came in at a figure less than 10m that has experience was Fernandez for Swansea at 8m

Surely not all these clubs can be incompetent?

What kind of examples are you expexting ? You really think that paying 20mln for lovren (cost 8mln year eflier) and 40mln for mangala is a good business and prime example of competence ????

However Dier's example shows it can be done - getting good players for reasonable money

What kind of examples are you expexting ? You really think that paying 20mln for lovren (cost 8mln year eflier) and 40mln for mangala is a good business and prime example of competence ????

However Dier's example shows it can be done - getting good players for reasonable money
I don't think Mangala/Lovren purchases turned out to be great business which is kinda my whole point that I don't think it is as easy as you are suggesting to find an experienced defender to slot in at CB for less than 10m.

As for Dier, I like him but he has barely any more experience than Galloway at playing as a CB, certainly not to stand in for Jags if be blows his ACL again. Spurs only used him as CB a few games and he had to drop out of the England U21 team because he needed to concentrate on how to play as a CB.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/13/tottenham-eric-dier-withdraws-england-under-21s

He was a great buy for potential, as Galloway was, but expecting him to play the majority or the season would be huge step up.

Last edited:
I don't think Mangala/Lovren purchases turned out to be great business which is kinda my whole point that I don't think it is as easy as you are suggesting to find an experienced defender to slot in at CB for less than 10m.

As for Dier, I like him but he has barely any more experience than Galloway at playing as a CB, certainly not to stand in for Jags if be blows his ACL again. Spurs only used him as CB a few games and he had to drop out of the England U21 team because he needed to concentrate on how to play as a CB.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/13/tottenham-eric-dier-withdraws-england-under-21s

He was a great buy for potential, as Galloway was, but expecting him to play the majority or the season would be huge step up.

If by using term "experienced" you mean good defender who played in the premier league before than you're right - surely it is hard to get one on cheap.

But buying outside of the premier league you could get Skrtel (6mln), Lovren (8mln), vlaar (3mln), de vrij(8mln) the list goes on. Surely these are not world's greats but personallyi rate them all more than scott dann

If by using term "experienced" you mean good defender who played in the premier league before than you're right - surely it is hard to get one on cheap.

But buying outside of the premier league you could get Skrtel (6mln), Lovren (8mln), vlaar (3mln), de vrij(8mln) the list goes on. Surely these are not world's greats but personallyi rate them all more than scott dann

Can you name someone better than Dann that would be cheaper and is realistic?

Ogbonna isn't a better defender
Maybe, maybe not. I haven't watched him exclusively as I'm pretty sure you haven't either. However, 10 caps for Italy and over 40 appearances for Juventus, the guy is clearly no mug and would be half the value of Scott Dann.

I like Dann as it goes, but I actually agree with the other fella in that there is surely better value out there than the 10+ million Palace would want.

Is he a ball playing CB?
He can pass a ball without looking awkward but so can dann he obviously isn't as good as stones is.

His defending is ok but I just think he'd be all over the place with us. I fear he isn't the best positionally and people are wanting him more because he's foreign then actually watching him play.

Personally I'd prefer dann but I wouldn't complain about ogbonna.

A lot of what I'm saying about him seems negative but I've watched him in a few games and he's pretty much just a back up defender for juve who dont have the best cbs in the world themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back