Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't think we do tbh. We have 3 players on loan to prem league clubs, another one on loan to preston, one in italy and one in germany we always put out a good starting XI and the 7 on the bench i always think is very strong. Most of those, if not all will be sold in the summer.

joel
stek
coleman
williams
mori
jagielka
holgate
browning
galloway
baines
garbutt?
barry
davies
gana
schneiderlin
mccarthy
barkley
cleverley
besic
mirallas
lennon
lookman
bolasie
deulofeu
mcgeady
tarashaj
lukaku
kone
niasse
DCL
valencia?

That's a list of 31 there (inc. valencia who will only be ours until season's end), not including any of the current U23's crop who are on the verge of winning the title and no doubt a couple can make the step up. Yeah ok, about 4 or 5 of those could be deemed not first team (possibly could have included pennington as well), but i think that's as big as squad as i remember following everton.

We'll shift off about 6 or 7 of those because a lot aren't good enough, and hopefully bring in the same number, but our squad would plenty big enough to cope with the extra gameload of next season.

Thing is mate, on that list is a whole lot of junk as well

Difference between a big squad and a squad big and good enough to handle the extra games.

Valencia
Kone
Deulofeu
Mcgeady
Tarashaj
Cleverley
Garbutt
Jagielka

Those will 99% certain to all be gone, either permanently or on loan again.

That brings the 31 players down to 23 straight away.

That comes down to 22 when factoring in Bolasie being out till next year at least.

Galloway, Browning, Lennon have all barely feautured or in galloways case had a failed loan spell - be surprised if any play many more minutes for us.

And that's not counting players such as Barry (age), besic (fitness), mirallas (is he rated by the manager) or McCarthy (maybe wants a move still)

If
4-5 of that final seven I mentioned leave, which isn't a huge stretch of the imagination then were down to 17-18 players,

It's also very important that if Lukaku is to be sold, we get our business done first before sanctioning a move.

IF for Example Dembele is the player we want, if Celtic see us getting 70 million for Lukaku, Dembele who we might have got for 30 will suddenly be valued at 50.

Leave him hanging on until the last minute.
This is a very good point. Any business we make has to be before any sales take place otherwise we are going to be priced out of a lot of deals simply for the selling club looking to squeeze as much as they can out of us. I still believe lukaku won't be sold in the summer considering I cannot see any takers for his price tag but if there is a possibility then replace him before he goes with a first choice target and then sign the back up to replace rom leaving us paying going rates.

Talking to a mate last night. A good point was raised, so much so compared to previous years.

The timing of the contract news is bad, but consider what month they are doing it in? Season ticket renewal time? Considering they have done this before over moshiri and war chests, promises of business early and the rest, is the timing a bit odd? Consider it this way, as soon as it comes to season ticket renewal time, our best player comes out, rejects a contract and demands the club show ambition and sign better players to challenge for the champions league spots. We then release a statement saying don't worry, he is our player etc.

It is almost like the message is trying to be put out there that the club is finally going to have a bit of ambition and invest in the team, kinda like last season around the same time?

Talking to a mate last night. A good point was raised, so much so compared to previous years.

The timing of the contract news is bad, but consider what month they are doing it in? Season ticket renewal time? Considering they have done this before over moshiri and war chests, promises of business early and the rest, is the timing a bit odd? Consider it this way, as soon as it comes to season ticket renewal time, our best player comes out, rejects a contract and demands the club show ambition and sign better players to challenge for the champions league spots. We then release a statement saying don't worry, he is our player etc.

It is almost like the message is trying to be put out there that the club is finally going to have a bit of ambition and invest in the team, kinda like last season around the same time?

Which has been proved to be the case...

Is there not a waiting list for season tickets anyway and every home league game this season has been sold out as well.

Is there not a waiting list for season tickets anyway and every home league game this season has been sold out as well.
I am not too sure mate, i tend to just agree to pay them the money and think nothing more of it every year! If i can't make a match i pass it to my mate for his lad but don't know the ins and outs of the list now, last i knew we still sold half season tickets.

So basically you are confirming that real actual people not just some profile on a forum believes in the fake news strategy to sell season tickets?

So basically you are confirming that real actual people not just some profile on a forum believes in the fake news strategy to sell season tickets?
mate over the years i have seen so many false dawns in our modern history and most of them normally start when they want to sell season tickets. I remember Kenwright and moyes coming out around march time and saying how this year will be different, we will get all our business done early and integrate them into the squad for the new season. That summer, we did nothing until deadline day, sold 2 strikers and our best player and loaned in a couple of awful players to compensate for it.

so apologies on this end for believing the 'fake news strategy' as you put it being a real thing.

Thing is mate, on that list is a whole lot of junk as well

Difference between a big squad and a squad big and good enough to handle the extra games.

Valencia
Kone
Deulofeu
Mcgeady
Tarashaj
Cleverley
Garbutt
Jagielka

Those will 99% certain to all be gone, either permanently or on loan again.

That brings the 31 players down to 23 straight away.

That comes down to 22 when factoring in Bolasie being out till next year at least.

Galloway, Browning, Lennon have all barely feautured or in galloways case had a failed loan spell - be surprised if any play many more minutes for us.

And that's not counting players such as Barry (age), besic (fitness), mirallas (is he rated by the manager) or McCarthy (maybe wants a move still)

If
4-5 of that final seven I mentioned leave, which isn't a huge stretch of the imagination then were down to 17-18 players,

yeah i'd think all of those will go too, with probably jagielka being retained as he has no value really. But we will get a fair few million, i think that's all the sales we need to make, which is good, because they're all just fringe players who don't play anyway. They would play if we had europe, like we will hopefully do next season, but they can all be easily enough replaced one by one, by buying the 4 or 5 players needed for the first team (keeper, cb, and two attackers?) and then a couple of other backups which i'm sure we'll go after.

One thing which has changed this season is the selling of players to actual clubs. Normally we'd be shifting off our players for tiny fees to crap championship clubs it seemed, but now we have offloaded a couple like gibson and oviedo to the prem, as well as those on loan.

How so toff? We could well have been having the same conversation this time last year and the ambition reached as far as selling to buy and failing to get any of our first choice targets.

In the general terms of we have invested in the team - both playing and managerial staff - and improved dramatically.

I'm not slating Lukaku - what he said was right - and last summer could definitely have gone a lot better.

There were mitigating factors, of course - some of which weren't within the club's control - others that were.

But there can be no question that we have improved in all areas (bar comms, like) since this time last year.

mate over the years i have seen so many false dawns in our modern history and most of them normally start when they want to sell season tickets. I remember Kenwright and moyes coming out around march time and saying how this year will be different, we will get all our business done early and integrate them into the squad for the new season. That summer, we did nothing until deadline day, sold 2 strikers and our best player and loaned in a couple of awful players to compensate for it.

so apologies on this end for believing the 'fake news strategy' as you put it being a real thing.

apology accepted Kenneth!

yeah i'd think all of those will go too, with probably jagielka being retained as he has no value really. But we will get a fair few million, i think that's all the sales we need to make, which is good, because they're all just fringe players who don't play anyway. They would play if we had europe, like we will hopefully do next season, but they can all be easily enough replaced one by one, by buying the 4 or 5 players needed for the first team (keeper, cb, and two attackers?) and then a couple of other backups which i'm sure we'll go after.

One thing which has changed this season is the selling of players to actual clubs. Normally we'd be shifting off our players for tiny fees to crap championship clubs it seemed, but now we have offloaded a couple like gibson and oviedo to the prem, as well as those on loan.

The TV money has and will continue to make a huge difference on 'surplus' players being able to be offloaded - and as prices rise, so too does the knock on effect of what the bigger clubs are now throwing at any half decent player.

For example a player say like McCarthy - 4-5 years ago, deemed surplus by us would more than likely end up going for a pretty small (5-6m)fee to a mid table side, now those same mid table sides like Stoke, West Brom etc can and will end up shelling out a fee more in the region of 15-20m or so for the exact same player.

hell if Cleverley starts for Watford this weekend we will by agreement sell him for 8m... Niasse - mad as it sounds will probably not end up losing us money when sold etc etc

In the general terms of we have invested in the team - both playing and managerial staff - and improved dramatically.

I'm not slating Lukaku - what he said was right - and last summer could definitely have gone a lot better.

There were mitigating factors, of course - some of which weren't within the club's control - others that were.

But there can be no question that we have improved in all areas (bar comms, like) since this time last year.
To be honest, no we have not improved yet on the pitch.

We have some better players in now than we did last season but can you honestly look at the last 2 years and say that finishing 11th was a fair reflection on the squad? We could, and should, have achieved far more than we did. So now the squad is simply being adapted this season to get it back to that level under a competent manager to actually go out and do it.

Off the pitch, perhaps we have improved yes, but whilst Elstone and Kenwright are key members of the club board and operations then i will always argue that the board is not better for that being the case.

So generally we have not improved dramatically, we are finishing 7th in the league, hardly competing still with the money clubs above us, which is to be expected. We have not had a rebirth of sorts as of yet, we are just going to achieve what we should have been doing anyway, the improvement will be when we can get to march and know we can well finish in the top 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back