Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...mbele-replacement-Romelu-Lukaku-transfer-news

Guess we'll be inundated with these kind of stories now linking us with all sorts so better get used to it.

On Dembele though, the comparisons with Lukaku seem fair. Scores all different kinds of goals and is as strong as an ox. People will rightly be cautious though with him playing in Scotland, but to be fair he was seen as a big talent at Fulham and many were surprised when Celtic landed him.

That article also mentions Lacazette is another target, why not get both? If Lukaku is sold, signing both Dembele and Lacazette would definitely soften the blow.

They have to get this right.

it also mentions another 24 year old celtic midfielder...

Lukaku still has two and a half years on his contract - unless he kicks off massively over the summer i can see him staying one more season to see how we do and the players we purchase.

I see it as he is going to see what we have lined up over the next few months and who we get over the line quickly to please him, and show ambition.

If we do a "Everton" and leave it till the last day of the window, i think he will be off. This is one big message to the board "sign players show ambition you want the CL and ill sign, don't and plod on and ill be off".

Ball is very much in Moshiri and Walsh's court in my opinion.

I know it's less fun to think about, but Walsh and company will need to keep an eye on squad age this summer as they try to keep Lukaku around. The list of current players who will be under 30 the season after his contract expires is quite thin:

-Joel
-Holgate, Funes Mori, Galloway
-Barkley, McCarthy, Davies
-Lookman, Calvert-Lewin

That will take some time to rebuild if they don't have CL as a lure. Going to need some balance this summer.

Note: Gana and Schneiderlin turn 30 a few months into the '19-'20 season.

I know it's less fun to think about, but Walsh and company will need to keep an eye on squad age this summer as they try to keep Lukaku around. The list of current players who will be under 30 the season after his contract expires is quite thin:

-Joel
-Holgate, Funes Mori, Galloway
-Barkley, McCarthy, Davies
-Lookman, Calvert-Lewin

That will take some time to rebuild if they don't have CL as a lure. Going to need some balance this summer.

Note: Gana and Schneiderlin turn 30 a few months into the '19-'20 season.

What a really bizarre way to measure squad age your using, measuring the age not now but in 3 years time to try skew a point

Our central midfield in 3 years time will have an age of 30, 30, 29, 26 and 21.

Wouldn't it have been far easier to just say we have 3-4 players who over the next 1-3 seasons will need to be replaced due to age (Williams, Baines), the rest will be Coleman 31 (still possibly at his best level at that age), Mirallas - 32 - but lets face it just a squad player atm anyway, and Barry and Jagielka who are both in the process of either being replaced already and seeing reduced roles in the team.

What we do have right now is a very small squad

What a really bizarre way to measure squad age your using, measuring the age not now but in 3 years time to try skew a point

Wouldn't it have been far easier to just say we have 3-4 players who over the next 1-3 seasons will need to be replaced due to age (Williams, Baines), the rest will be Coleman 31 (still possibly at his best level at that age), Mirallas - 32 - but lets face it just a squad player atm anyway, and Barry and Jagielka who are both in the process of either being replaced already and seeing reduced roles in the team.

The frame I used was Everton going all in to qualify for CL over the life of Lukaku's current contract. I suppose you can call that an arbitrary point in time at which to measure squad age, but there was no intended agenda in my original post.

i don't think we do tbh. We have 3 players on loan to prem league clubs, another one on loan to preston, one in italy and one in germany we always put out a good starting XI and the 7 on the bench i always think is very strong. Most of those, if not all will be sold in the summer.

joel
stek
coleman
williams
mori
jagielka
holgate
browning
galloway
baines
garbutt?
barry
davies
gana
schneiderlin
mccarthy
barkley
cleverley
besic
mirallas
lennon
lookman
bolasie
deulofeu
mcgeady
tarashaj
lukaku
kone
niasse
DCL
valencia?

That's a list of 31 there (inc. valencia who will only be ours until season's end), not including any of the current U23's crop who are on the verge of winning the title and no doubt a couple can make the step up. Yeah ok, about 4 or 5 of those could be deemed not first team (possibly could have included pennington as well), but i think that's as big as squad as i remember following everton.

We'll shift off about 6 or 7 of those because a lot aren't good enough, and hopefully bring in the same number, but our squad would plenty big enough to cope with the extra gameload of next season.

i don't think we do tbh. We have 3 players on loan to prem league clubs, another one on loan to preston, one in italy and one in germany we always put out a good starting XI and the 7 on the bench i always think is very strong. Most of those, if not all will be sold in the summer.

joel
stek
coleman
williams
mori
jagielka
holgate
browning
galloway

baines
garbutt?
barry
davies
gana
schneiderlin
mccarthy
barkley
cleverley
besic

mirallas
lennon
lookman
bolasie
deulofeu
mcgeady
tarashaj

lukaku
kone
niasse

DCL
valencia?

That's a list of 31 there (inc. valencia who will only be ours until season's end), not including any of the current U23's crop who are on the verge of winning the title and no doubt a couple can make the step up. Yeah ok, about 4 or 5 of those could be deemed not first team (possibly could have included pennington as well), but i think that's as big as squad as i remember following everton.

We'll shift off about 6 or 7 of those because a lot aren't good enough, and hopefully bring in the same number, but our squad would plenty big enough to cope with the extra gameload of next season.
All of these need shipping out though. Never CL quality. IMO there will be another big clear out in the summer. Wouldn't be surprised to see 8 or 9 leave.

Lukaku still has two and a half years on his contract - unless he kicks off massively over the summer i can see him staying one more season to see how we do and the players we purchase.
Honestly I dount anything we do leads to him staying short of £100 million spent and a serious run at multiple trophies. Probably would need to actually win something too

Honestly I dount anything we do leads to him staying short of £100 million spent and a serious run at multiple trophies. Probably would need to actually win something too

Which if everything people tell us about Moshiri etc, a 100 million spend shouldn't be pie in the sky. I doubt it will happen but when i listen to people who have supposed knowledge of the 'inner circle' that amount shouldn't seem so unlikely being spent in one window. Again i feel we are as close to trophies now as we have ever been in the last twenty years (but to be fair that is no ringing endorsement either)

We have messed up last summer so this summer there can be no excuses. Identify the targets and go get them early. Then see what lukaku wants...

Premier league is so much more open that it's been in the last decade so get it right and we could really challenge next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back