Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
rudy gestede for the knock downs and super shane long as his speedy sidekick

Whoever we sign as the next striker will be a comparative disappointment, which is unfair on them more than anything else but is a cold hard fact

We'd need to use the Lukaku money not just on a striker but also on quality players elsewhere on the pitch who can help with spreading out the goals

I'm hoping that Walsh has some cracking strikers up his sleeve that he's been keeping for such an occasion

I imagine we'll sign at least two strikers, if Lukaku goes. Rooney as a big name and a younger one that will learn from him. Hope Lukaku' goes abroad.

He can't replace Lukaku, and I've never said he could

He'll never be Lukaku

But, if we sign him and put some other decent players with him to compliment him then he could maybe get us 10-15 goals

If we've got goals coming from elsewhere on the pitch as well, then that's not the worst outcome

We're not going to get a striker in on the level of Rom, because none of those strikers will want to come to us. Therefore, we need to either get a lesser striker with PL experience and surround him with as much quality as we can, or we need to take a gamble on a lesser known player or one who has excelled in a lower league and hope he can deliver

But we're not replacing Rom

Austin, Rondon, Gabbiandi etc, none of these are Rom replacements

Anyone thinking we'll be able to tempt a comparatively good striker as Rom here needs a hard dose of reality

Maybe in 2-3 years perhaps, but in the meantime we're going to have to either get a less fashionable PL level striker to fill a gap and hope the additional players we sign offset the fact he won't get as many goals as Rom would or we're going to need to take a punt on someone and run the risk of them not being up to it

Not an attractive prospect in either case I concede, but we need to pull up our socks and get on with it

I certainly see sense in the logic that we can't get a player of Lukakus quality (if we could then we'd be able to keep Lukaku).

My disagreement is Rondon. In his entire career, even in weaker leagues he's never scored 15 goals. This has to be a bare minimum for a side that wants to improve, surely?

The idea that a lad who has scored 9 and 7 (with a quarter of fixtures to go that are very hard) is going to befit a side that want to challenge for the top 4 is surely fanciful? Answer me this, given they sold Berahino for close to 20 million, how much do you think we'd have to pay for Rondon?

We may end up with Rondon as his replacement. I don't control that. However as fans should we really accept that? Or get behind a regime that would sell us down the river in such a way? Would you want us to get on board with accepting such mediocrity? Or do you think a lad who can't break the 10 goal barrier is going to allow us to finish any higher in the league?

If Lukaku goes we need to be targeting the European market and younger players. Dembele, Dolberg, Werner, Belotti, Martial, Rashford, batshuiay, iehanacho would all be better options that Rondon?

Whoever we sign as the next striker will be a comparative disappointment, which is unfair on them more than anything else but is a cold hard fact

We'd need to use the Lukaku money not just on a striker but also on quality players elsewhere on the pitch who can help with spreading out the goals

I'm hoping that Walsh has some cracking strikers up his sleeve that he's been keeping for such an occasion

There's relative disappointment then there's a lad who can't score 10 goals a season and is being kept out of the team by a lad Reading binned off. I watched Rondon with my own eyes Saturday, he's leagues away from being good enough for our team.

I certainly see sense in the logic that we can't get a player of Lukakus quality (if we could then we'd be able to keep Lukaku).

My disagreement is Rondon. In his entire career, even in weaker leagues he's never scored 15 goals. This has to be a bare minimum for a side that wants to improve, surely?

The idea that a lad who has scored 9 and 7 (with a quarter of fixtures to go that are very hard) is going to befit a side that want to challenge for the top 4 is surely fanciful? Answer me this, given they sold Berahino for close to 20 million, how much do you think we'd have to pay for Rondon?

We may end up with Rondon as his replacement. I don't control that. However as fans should we really accept that? Or get behind a regime that would sell us down the river in such a way? Would you want us to get on board with accepting such mediocrity? Or do you think a lad who can't break the 10 goal barrier is going to allow us to finish any higher in the league?

If Lukaku goes we need to be targeting the European market and younger players. Dembele, Dolberg, Werner, Belotti, Martial, Rashford, batshuiay, iehanacho would all be better options that Rondon?

I wouldn't pay any more than 20 Million for him, and if we get 70 for Lukaku that's still 50 Million to spend elsewhere

He's got 7 goals for West Brom, a team who we seem much ahead of so he's hardly getting the best service is he? He's shown he can find the net

How would signing 3, 5 or even 7 players, of which one is Rondon, be selling us down the river? If he comes in and gets between 10-15 goals (He's already got 7 this season already) and we sign quality elsewhere and they also chip in, then we could get top 4

How many did Dunc get in 04/05 when we finished top 4?

If we sign Mata, then he's going to get goals. If Mata gets 10-15 and Rondon gets 10-15, with Lookman, Ross, Kev, DCL and maybe Coleman also getting some goals, we should score enough to be in the mix

Would I rather have a Rashford/Dembele/Martial/most of those other players you listed?

CT0qwQSU8AE2DQB.jpg

Thanks Cenk

But, if we get Rondon, and still get quality elsewhere, we could still be fine

He's not my first choice (Or even middle choice), but he should definitely be in the discussion IMO. He's got 7 goals playing with pretty mediocre players. Give him some good players to work with and who knows?

Now if we could get Rashford, I'd be all over that, but for me I think we should go full bore for Mata in the summer, and I doubt United would sell both to us

I like Dembele, but he represents a gamble and the usual anti-SPL boo boys on here would throw a fit if we spent anything like proper money for him

How about this for a short term solution? Aguero

If City don't want him, how about trying to bring him in?

I wouldn't pay any more than 20 Million for him, and if we get 70 for Lukaku that's still 50 Million to spend elsewhere

He's got 7 goals for West Brom, a team who we seem much ahead of so he's hardly getting the best service is he? He's shown he can find the net

How would signing 3, 5 or even 7 players, of which one is Rondon, be selling us down the river? If he comes in and gets between 10-15 goals (He's already got 7 this season already) and we sign quality elsewhere and they also chip in, then we could get top 4

How many did Dunc get in 04/05 when we finished top 4?

If we sign Mata, then he's going to get goals. If Mata gets 10-15 and Rondon gets 10-15, with Lookman, Ross, Kev, DCL and maybe Coleman also getting some goals, we should score enough to be in the mix

Would I rather have a Rashford/Dembele/Martial/most of those other players you listed?

CT0qwQSU8AE2DQB.jpg

Thanks Cenk

But, if we get Rondon, and still get quality elsewhere, we could still be fine

He's not my first choice, but he should definitely be in the discussion IMO

Sorry mate my heads fallen off over Lukaku I'm fuming and taking it out on you a bit which isn't fair.

However I would lose my head if we spent 20 million quid on a lad who can't score more than 10
Goals in this league and has rarely got more than 11 in any league. This isn't even a lad who's of an age where he will improve, he will be 28 in September and his best years will be behind him. I see him at a similar level to Llorente who went for about 4 million. Would you honestly have us pay 20 million for him?

Duncan only got us a few goals that season. We finished with 61 points and won a lot of games 1-0. 61 points will now be way off CL qualification and a step back from where we are this season.

The point is that model wasn't sustainable (see our performance the season before and after). So
trying to replicate that would not be a sensible move for the long term. I certainly wouldn't advocate paying 20 million pounds to have a lad doing an impression of Fergusan circa 2004 (which is a pretty fair comparison).

If we sign 5 or 7 players in honesty he still wouldn't be one. I've given you a list of strikers we should go for ahead of him. However if he were to be one as a back up for the love of god don't pay 20 million for him. Answer me, how is he any better than when Llorente went to Swansea for 4 million?

Finally if you would prefer the names I've given, why don't we just go and buy 1 or 2 of them as opposed to Rondon? Surely that would be the more sensible ploy? Sign lads that can score 12 goals a season or get ones who may improve to do so.

We will no improve our team in the short medium or long term if we are reliant on players like Rondon. If he's a backup option fine, but the price needs to reflect the position he has within the squad. I think 2-3 million pounds would be reasonable.

Sorry mate my heads fallen off over Lukaku I'm fuming and taking it out on you a bit which isn't fair.

However I would lose my head if we spent 20 million quid on a lad who can't score more than 10
Goals in this league and has rarely got more than 11 in any league. This isn't even a lad who's of an age where he will improve, he will be 28 in September and his best years will be behind him. I see him at a similar level to Llorente who went for about 4 million. Would you honestly have us pay 20 million for him?

Duncan only got us a few goals that season. We finished with 61 points and won a lot of games 1-0. 61 points will now be way off CL qualification and a step back from where we are this season.

The point is that model wasn't sustainable (see our performance the season before and after). So
trying to replicate that would not be a sensible move for the long term. I certainly wouldn't advocate paying 20 million pounds to have a lad doing an impression of Fergusan circa 2004 (which is a pretty fair comparison).

If we sign 5 or 7 players in honesty he still wouldn't be one. I've given you a list of strikers we should go for ahead of him. However if he were to be one as a back up for the love of god don't pay 20 million for him. Answer me, how is he any better than when Llorente went to Swansea for 4 million?

Finally if you would prefer the names I've given, why don't we just go and buy 1 or 2 of them as opposed to Rondon? Surely that would be the more sensible ploy? Sign lads that can score 12 goals a season or get ones who may improve to do so.

We will no improve our team in the short medium or long term if we are reliant on players like Rondon. If he's a backup option fine, but the price needs to reflect the position he has within the squad. I think 2-3 million pounds would be reasonable.

You pay a premium when buying from your own League, the TV Money age especially so

No way we'd get him for 2-3, especially if he has a good run between now and the end of the season, which isn't out of the question

You pay a premium when buying from your own League, the TV Money age especially so

No way we'd get him for 2-3, especially if he has a good run between now and the end of the season, which isn't out of the question

It seems a massively hefty premium for a lad who's record is (let's be frank here) poor.

If you'd prefer the names mentioned why not just sign them
instead?

Because if we can't get them I could see him being in the conversation

It's not a worst case scenario if he comes in, provided we buy well in other positions

I think if we miss out on all the targets named mate, and end up with Rondon that's a pretty bad scenario. We want to get better, name 1 team of any of our top 7 rivals Rondon improves?

What is a worse option than having Rondon, a lad who can't currently get a game for West Brom? I can't get my head around it.

If we've fallen so far that the best we can attract to replace Lukaku are lads like Rondon then it seems like worst case scenario to me. I think I'd give up to be honest.

I think if we miss out on all the targets named mate, and end up with Rondon that's a pretty bad scenario. We want to get better, name 1 team of any of our top 7 rivals Rondon improves?

What is a worse option than having Rondon, a lad who can't currently get a game for West Brom? I can't get my head around it.

If we've fallen so far that the best we can attract to replace Lukaku are lads like Rondon then it seems like worst case scenario to me. I think I'd give up to be honest.

If we buy good quality in other areas of the pitch then it really isn't

If he's our star signing then maybe, but I'm proposing that scenario. I'm proposing he be part of balanced window

Batshuyai, Lucas Perez, Keane and Sigurdsson if we buy from other teams in the league.

Throw Robertson and a new keeper in there and it is a solid window.

Dembele a risk. Teodorczyk a risk. Dolberg a risk. Any though would be worthwhile if we sign a proven striker alongside them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back