Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll have to explain why Napoli's chairman confirmed the offer then. Conspiracy?
Napoli's chairman confirmed that Chelsea offered £58m but never specifically mentioned any £60m bid by us.
Koulibally's agent was asked about Mosh's claim and seemed to suggest he was unaware of a £60m bid.
"Everton? We knew of interest from Everton, but if there was anything transfer wise you would need to ask De Laurentiis."
http://www.italianfootballdaily.com/koulibalys-agent-everton-havent-seen-offer/

I get what you mean, and I'm certainly no bed wetter, but I've said elsewhere that fans will obviously react this way because of the noises made by the club last year.

You can't go round telling people money is no object, and saying you've bid £60m for players, and then expect people to be happy if you have a net spend of £10m. Obviously if people are expecting us to spend £100m with no outgoings, they're going to wonder why we can't spend £150m if we bring £80m back in, that just stands to reason. When it doesn't happen, people will inevitably be disappointed, and understandably so.

In honesty the money spent should be of no regard.

Juve had a net spend of about 20m last season, did the double and reached the champions league final so a bit irrelevant people needing us to spend more money than we bring in.

Yes so do i! Shouldn't we show ambition? I am not saying get messi or ronaldo or lewandowski. Lacazette is playing in the french league for a decent team. But he has this morning said he would be intrested in the prem and champions league football isn't a deciding factor. So is it not worth pursuing?

No, because the careful wording of his statement is to make it known he'd go to arsenal mate. He's not flirting with us or any other team that now and again qualifies for second tier European footy.

Budding on players we have zero chance of getting will just reducectge chance icky attracting ones who'd consider us, much in the way if you hit on every stunner in a bar and get seen to be given the knockback then when you go for ones you do have a chance with they'd swerve you big time.

Juve had a net spend of about 20m last season, did the double and reached the champions league final so a bit irrelevant people needing us to spend more money than we bring in.
It's irrelevant if you're successful, obviously. Pretty much everything's irrelevant if you're successful. Spending money generally increases your chances of being successful though, so...

If the summer goes the way you describe it then the club will be in a seriously bad way in my opinion. We need to rebuild the squad now especially with so many players leaving it over the past 12 months so serious investment needs to be made. In terms of Sell to buy and net spend, the argument can be simplified as you have put it, but the longer the net spend is negative or evened out, the longer no-one at board level has invested a penny into the team. The longer the TV money is not being invested into the team, in fact no money apart from sales is being invested into the first team. In the here and now you can offer the argument that the money will go into the stadium and it will, big time. But that is no different to 5 years ago, a board spending 0 money into the team.

Which is where my argument on the matter comes from. Moshiri might have been clearing debts, doing all sorts off the scenes but when it doesn't end up on the pitch then you have to ask the question why. When we sell Rom and Ross, we are losing our best assets, same as we did with Stones. The aim sure is for clever investment but once those two leave this summer, take a look at the squad again and tell me how many genuinely good players we will have left? It is gambling to say the least. But my point in talking about that, is that i can't see the club spending 100 million even if it is solely sell to buy. I genuinely can see say 60 million spent, a little overpaying on a couple and then failing to attract anyone else and no more mention of it. I am cynical about my club yes, 29 years has taught me to be. I just feel whilst we do have Kenwright there, and Elstone running the spending money side of things that nothing will change. That is not a knock on them, that is simply maintaining a status quo that essentially has not changed since they both came into power jobs at the club over the years.

little bit of a ramble so sorry about that. I just see it from the tired Blue angle. For every penny under what we bring in that we don't spend, it is more Arteta money, bill paying and now stadium financing. Every year we don't spend actual money, is another year where all the additional cash disappears, when other clubs use it to invest. It is another year the owners have not put up any money, and have depended on selling prized assets to fund transfer activity.

Because simply put, Liverpool last season sold fringe players and boosted their squad to 4th in the league. We sold an asset and came nowhere close. Now 12 months later we are talking or settling on our best player leaving and our attacking midfielder from the academy and unless real money is invested in the SQUAD not just team, i personally think we will be worse off come september
I agree on the whole, but that's the thing that annoys me, we can improve the squad and people will still moan if the figure doesn't show +100m.

Re: the players, who says we haven't got replacements lined up? I believe Koeman/Walsh have a few good players who fit straight in if they're prepared to let Ross and Lukaku go (not to mention the rest of the 'dead wood'). Crucial we do it quickly or before the EL quals start tho.

Either way, there's a month before anything will even be announced, so now all we have to realistically do is sit and wait, but I guess (and not putting you in this) it's easier to blame everyone for no movement when Stoke have signed the exquisite and exotic Darren Fletcher...

They did what we probably will (hopefully for the titles! lol ) - got loads of money from Pogba, invested in loads of other players, did the double and nearly a treble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back