Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing is mate, it really wouldn't. It was never toxic when Moyes had no money to spend, it was not toxic when Kenright and Elstone came up with Enner Valencia and a sissoko bid and it certainly won't turn toxic now.

The fact is, part of the problem is us, the fans. We accept this crap year on year and nothing changes as a result. The only time the fans ever unified on an opinion we got the manager sacked. But if all we got was cast offs and 0 net spend come september and all that jazz, i promise you we as fans would accept it all. If we sold to buy again for the second straight year of being rich then we would accept it.

Sometimes the cringy protests and marches of them lot make you think that if we had a protest once in a while at the terrible transfer activity or lack of funding then perhaps something would change.

Because come september 1st, makes no odds if we sign a crap loanee as a first team signing because we as fans will still get behind them throughout the season. Trying and failing should not be good enough for any club, we as a fan base accept it year after year.

No I get what you're saying, but it'd be all negative, mostly because of self-entitlement and the fact we have decent money. It doesn't matter who we sign or what we do - they won't be the players that the fans wanted because they read about them in some paper and watched a youtube video. I went to the Palace game last season at Goodison and people were still moaning about Bolasie and Valencia... in fact, people still are. Classic case of spend money without spending money, as Bolasie wasn't the player the fans wanted. Who they wanted means nothing and it was probably based on a rumour, but it doesn't matter god damn it, BOLASIE WASN'T THE RIGHT PLAYED TO SPEND 25M ON, despite the fact he was doing well.

And the sell to buy thing will happen again, but very differently, despite the fact people will see what they want (and I'm guessing you're in this number too, but you're a sensible lad so hope not :) ). Let's use examples though.
A few years ago - we have 0 money (to be precise we actually had about -10 money lol ). Sell our best players to be able to afford either "alright" players or has-beens. We have to do it to appease banks, everyone groans silently but understands that we've been run poorly and our owner is actually penniless.

Now - we have money. Not oil money, but we're well off. We sell our best player because a great offer comes in, not because we have to as now we have no debt, and as a result we have more money to spend and invest back into the team. This will probably produce a low net spend because our better players are worth a lot of money (to our detriment is that we can't keep them for now, but we seem to be improving). People will still moan because "BUT MUH NET SPEND, WHY IS IT NOT +999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 POUNDS?!?!?!? STILL SELL TO BUY LAD WE'RE SKINT LAD SACK THE BOARD LAD", despite the fact we've bought 3 or 4 players with an amount slightly bigger than the star-player-fee. Also probably some kind of ridiculous transfer settlement at the transfer deadline day to bring it up as well, but it won't be good enough.

Do you see where I'm coming from here?

All this fume was brought on by them. They have talked about a big window, the biggest window in the clubs history said Elstone. We have heard how Jim Whites best mate Mosh was throwing £60m bids around last season, and we have heard of promises of money here there and everywhere. And whats happening?. Koeman is off playing golf, and walsh has gone missing. The RS and City are getting straight into business no matter what the cost, and we are left sitting here not even knowing whats going on with Lukaku and Barkley. (West ham).

All this fume was brought on by them. They have talked about a big window, the biggest window in the clubs history said Elstone. We have heard how Jim Whites best mate Mosh was throwing £60m bids around last season, and we have heard of promises of money here there and everywhere. And whats happening?. Koeman is off playing golf, and walsh has gone missing. The RS and City are getting straight into business no matter what the cost, and we are left sitting here not even knowing whats going on with Lukaku and Barkley. (West ham).
How dare he enjoy his holidays, the proper bellend he is.

And how dare Walsh not tweet every player he watches?! Who does he think he is, keeping us in the dark about the inner runnings of the club?

No I get what you're saying, but it'd be all negative, mostly because of self-entitlement and the fact we have decent money. It doesn't matter who we sign or what we do - they won't be the players that the fans wanted because they read about them in some paper and watched a youtube video. I went to the Palace game last season at Goodison and people were still moaning about Bolasie and Valencia... in fact, people still are. Classic case of spend money without spending money, as Bolasie wasn't the player the fans wanted. Who they wanted means nothing and it was probably based on a rumour, but it doesn't matter god damn it, BOLASIE WASN'T THE RIGHT PLAYED TO SPEND 25M ON, despite the fact he was doing well.

And the sell to buy thing will happen again, but very differently, despite the fact people will see what they want (and I'm guessing you're in this number too, but you're a sensible lad so hope not :) ). Let's use examples though.
A few years ago - we have 0 money (to be precise we actually had about -10 money lol ). Sell our best players to be able to afford either "alright" players or has-beens. We have to do it to appease banks, everyone groans silently but understands that we've been run poorly and our owner is actually penniless.

Now - we have money. Not oil money, but we're well off. We sell our best player because a great offer comes in, not because we have to as now we have no debt, and as a result we have more money to spend and invest back into the team. This will probably produce a low net spend because our better players are worth a lot of money (to our detriment is that we can't keep them for now, but we seem to be improving). People will still moan because "BUT MUH NET SPEND, WHY IS IT NOT +999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 POUNDS?!?!?!? STILL SELL TO BUY LAD WE'RE SKINT LAD SACK THE BOARD LAD", despite the fact we've bought 3 or 4 players with an amount slightly bigger than the star-player-fee. Also probably some kind of ridiculous transfer settlement at the transfer deadline day to bring it up as well, but it won't be good enough.

I get what you mean, and I'm certainly no bed wetter, but I've said elsewhere that fans will obviously react this way because of the noises made by the club last year.

You can't go round telling people money is no object, and saying you've bid £60m for players, and then expect people to be happy if you have a net spend of £10m. Obviously if people are expecting us to spend £100m with no outgoings, they're going to wonder why we can't spend £150m if we bring £80m back in, that just stands to reason. When it doesn't happen, people will inevitably be disappointed, and understandably so.

If the summer goes the way you describe it then the club will be in a seriously bad way in my opinion. We need to rebuild the squad now especially with so many players leaving it over the past 12 months so serious investment needs to be made. In terms of Sell to buy and net spend, the argument can be simplified as you have put it, but the longer the net spend is negative or evened out, the longer no-one at board level has invested a penny into the team. The longer the TV money is not being invested into the team, in fact no money apart from sales is being invested into the first team. In the here and now you can offer the argument that the money will go into the stadium and it will, big time. But that is no different to 5 years ago, a board spending 0 money into the team.

Which is where my argument on the matter comes from. Moshiri might have been clearing debts, doing all sorts off the scenes but when it doesn't end up on the pitch then you have to ask the question why. When we sell Rom and Ross, we are losing our best assets, same as we did with Stones. The aim sure is for clever investment but once those two leave this summer, take a look at the squad again and tell me how many genuinely good players we will have left? It is gambling to say the least. But my point in talking about that, is that i can't see the club spending 100 million even if it is solely sell to buy. I genuinely can see say 60 million spent, a little overpaying on a couple and then failing to attract anyone else and no more mention of it. I am cynical about my club yes, 29 years has taught me to be. I just feel whilst we do have Kenwright there, and Elstone running the spending money side of things that nothing will change. That is not a knock on them, that is simply maintaining a status quo that essentially has not changed since they both came into power jobs at the club over the years.

little bit of a ramble so sorry about that. I just see it from the tired Blue angle. For every penny under what we bring in that we don't spend, it is more Arteta money, bill paying and now stadium financing. Every year we don't spend actual money, is another year where all the additional cash disappears, when other clubs use it to invest. It is another year the owners have not put up any money, and have depended on selling prized assets to fund transfer activity.

Because simply put, Liverpool last season sold fringe players and boosted their squad to 4th in the league. We sold an asset and came nowhere close. Now 12 months later we are talking or settling on our best player leaving and our attacking midfielder from the academy and unless real money is invested in the SQUAD not just team, i personally think we will be worse off come september

I get what you mean, and I'm certainly no bed wetter, but I've said elsewhere that fans will obviously react this way because of the noises made by the club last year.

You can't go round telling people money is no object, and saying you've bid £60m for players, and then expect people to be happy if you have a net spend of £10m. Obviously if people are expecting us to spend £100m with no outgoings, they're going to wonder why we can't spend £150m if we bring £80m back in, that just stands to reason. When it doesn't happen, people will inevitably be disappointed, and understandably so.
At this point I'm sure the fans will react like that regardless what happens with net spend. Ever since any talk of money we, as a fanbase/majority, seem to have lost our common sense and just demand things now.

Plus we can probably go for 4-6 players with the outgoings money and a bit more, with no need for actual other players, and someone will still moan we've exchanged (let's say) 3 players for (let's say) 5-7 players as that's not enough because of talk of money. Wise investment with an eye for the future is much better/more important than massive investment for this season and not much else for the sake of it (plus we can't pull a Robinho). The Everton Bulgaria fanclub we've got here (I'm an admin/creator) already wanted/wants Koeman off for not getting CL ffs! lol

Sorry for suggesting someone who i feel is the caliber of player we should go after. Lets sign jordan rhodes instead top 4 here we come

Yeah and end up in the same situation as we did last year, willing to pay 30m for Sissokho nad getting Enner Valencia in on loan!
Bill & Bob are striking again.

I agree with you fella. Whether it's a realistic option or not i would bid very publically and offer some serious wages just to get it out there and show the world we're trying to buy top quality. If he turns us down for CL then fair enough but no harm in asking.

Is that you Mr Gold/ Mr Sullivan/ Mr Brady

At this point I'm sure the fans will react like that regardless what happens with net spend. Ever since any talk of money we, as a fanbase/majority, seem to have lost our common sense and just demand things now.

Plus we can probably go for 4-6 players with the outgoings money and a bit more, with no need for actual other players, and someone will still moan we've exchanged (let's say) 3 players for (let's say) 5-7 players as that's not enough because of talk of money. Wise investment with an eye for the future is much better/more important than massive investment for this season and not much else for the sake of it (plus we can't pull a Robinho). The Everton Bulgaria fanclub we've got here (I'm an admin/creator) already wanted/wants Koeman off for not getting CL ffs! lol
No I completely agree with you mate, wise investment is key. Unfortunately, things were said and done last year which have increased people's expectations. We can't really blame the fans for that.

If you listen to some it seems there are probably about ten footballers in world football worth buying...1st tier...2nd tier etc.
There are new players constantly coming onto the scene.
There is almost definitely a youngster somewhere in the lower divisions that will sell for 50m in the next few years to a "1st tier " club.

The job for Steve Walsh and others like him at different clubs is to identify that gold nugget .

Lukaku is high profile and will attract a huge fee, I am not convinced the move will be as instantly successful as he believes, just as I didn't believe the move for John Stones would be an immediate success.
These players have flaws in their games which are more easily overlooked in a team fighting for seventh than a team fighting for first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back