Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
The opening paragraph there is very fair in my opinion. Koeman will be judged on qualifying for the CL with the resources he has been given ultimately, maybe mitigated by a Cup.

That said that may be an incremental process like it was at City and Chelsea.
Before they got to CL they were picking up trophies. I demand that from a manager spending big and getting about the 7th or 8th highest wages for what he does in world football.

..I think it's a difficult one, we don't know how the new players will bed themselves in and dovetail into the RK team model. I think we need to manage expectation, especially if Barkley and Lukaku leave as it will take more than one window to complete the change. Indeed, we might go back before we go forward. Only time will tell but it's good to see the club going for it.
Chelsea and Liverpool (Europe won't accumulate as many points as last season) Spurs (have the Wembley factor, I think they only dropped 4 points at home last season, that won't happen at Wembley).
As for us, we got 7th with serious weaknesses within the team. GK, centre halves and lack of creativity in the side. It's looks as though we have already and are going to address some of those issues. Whether our squad is capable of attaining 73-75 points only time will tell.
As for next season city and united have by far the deepest squads. Jose and pep will get to grip better with managing their squads and I feel it's between them and Chelsea for the title.

lollollollol

So who signed Niasse Dave?

Was it Bill, Bob? If it wasnt the manager who signed him, who was it?

As ive already said, Koeman hasnt signed a single player in his managerial career, hes ALWAYS worked with a DoF.
I have no idea who signed Niasse. I think it was murky and I wont go into it on here as GOT shouldn't be placed in that position.

On Koeman/Walsh: sorry, the manager carries the can. That's how it works in England and rightly so. If Koeman thinks he can brush any of his failure signings under the DoF mat like he might be able to do in that ale house league he managed in he can think again.

Bottom line - he's to blame for the failures in that respect as well as taking credit for the successes.

You say it like he was a bad buy?

He looked great on paper as a backup striker. Injuries did for him and he was never to show what he could really do for us.
Not the worlds worst decision when we got him, but terrible in hindsight.
He ragged the arse out of that Moyes' team in the QF at Goodison.

Pity we saw none of it.

You say that because he scored a lot of goals but if you take away the points his goals won us, as in the games he scored in, take those points off and we are still 7th. This is a mathmatical fact. Sunderland you could even say that chances are if he wasnt there we would of had another striker so still won anyway.
Dont get me wrong we will miss his goals but last season when we really needed him to score he didnt
I addressed this yesterday but I'll happily give it another go.

The fact that we finished so far above eighth should not in any way be confused with the idea that we would still have held that position without Lukaku. The fact that we were winning games by swatting aside the opposition by 3 or 4 goals (often because of Lukaku) obviously had a direct bearing on a)the way teams acted and set up when arriving at Goodison, and b) the amount of energy expended by the team in games. Had we been battling to 1-0 and 2-1 wins rather than leathering all-comers between January and April, I fear we'd have rather run out of gas.

Also, how do you decide when we needed him to score? It's an arbitrary and frankly ridiculous notion. I would say we needed him to score at home to Leicester in the cup. He did, but unfortunately it wasn't enough. Spurs away, who was going to step up and score to get us back in the game? ROMELU TO THE RESCUE! But then our defence let us down again. Goals aren't only important if they lead to the result you wanted. Not everything is within one player's control (cue Lukaku's first touch joke).

You could say that A.N Other would have scored against Sunderland, yes. You could also say that had Lukaku not come on and changed the game against West Brom at the start of the season, we'd have lost the game and gone into our terrible run even earlier, leading to the sacking of Koeman, relegation and eventually the winding up of the club. Both of them are completely made up scenarios which can't be proved either way.

Told you often enough: I was told from a very good source in the club that it was not a Martinez purchase. I never claim to be ITK not ever. Take it or leave it, it was just a one off bit of info I received, but that's why I remain 100% convinced Niasse was not down to him.

All others I have no doubt..including Kone!

So, as said: any signing made under Koeman is his. The buck always stops with the manager. He's got a very mixed record of decent and trash so far. I suggest he spends the Lukaku windfall a bit more wisely than he's spent the Stones windfall.

@orly

I have no idea who signed Niasse. I think it was murky and I wont go into it on here as GOT shouldn't be placed in that position.

On Koeman/Walsh: sorry, the manager carries the can. That's how it works in England and rightly so. If Koeman thinks he can brush any of his failure signings under the DoF mat like he might be able to do in that ale house league he managed in he can think again.

Bottom line - he's to blame for the failures in that respect as well as taking credit for the successes.

What failures? Steve Walsh hasnt yet signed a bad player, bar maybe Valencia, but he was only a loan so no biggie.

Im not removing Koeman from blame, im removing him from getting the sole credit for the signings.

What failures? Steve Walsh hasnt yet signed a bad player, bar maybe Valencia, but he was only a loan so no biggie.

Im not removing Koeman from blame, im removing him from getting the sole credit for the signings.

That's fair but it's also not needed. Steve Walsh is not a decision maker. He sifts through a lot of players and is a head scout in all but name. You wouldn't in the past have stated that Moyes or Martinez should be absolved from making poor (or praised for good) signings because they came initially to their attention via a chief scout would you?

Same difference here. Walsh is a chief scout. Simple as that. Koeman should get praise and criticism for whoever is brought in.

That's fair but it's also not needed. Steve Walsh is not a decision maker. He sifts through a lot of players and is a head scout in all but name. You wouldn't in the past have stated that Moyes or Martinez should be absolved from making poor (or praised for good) signings because they came initially to their attention via a chief scout would you?

Same difference here. Walsh is a chief scout. Simple as that. Koeman should get praise and criticism for whoever is brought in.

Moyes and Martinez were vastly more hands on, yes the process is still the same, the scouts find the players, in M&Ms case they probably went and had a look themselves, now its probably Steve Walsh going for a look while Ronny practices his backswing. I recall reading that Walsh makes funky little vids that he shows Koeman the players on and they make a decision based on that together.

Yup, can't wait for this sizeable list of failure signings made by Koeman. Should make good reading :coffee:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back