Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
£50m plus 'add ons'

Would rather he stayed but a world record fee for a defender (I think) is hard to turn down. Especially if they want to leave.

Bacary Sagna? 34 and Navas and Fernandinho ended up playing right back at City last season.
He's had a few injuries, but he's been a quality player and would be capable of performing to a level similar to Coleman.

Seems a better option than deliberately picking a weak link for as long as it takes for Coleman to come back.

Martina is experienced and we need to stop thinking every young player on our books is going to be the next big thing.

Kenny will get plenty of chances this coming season whilst Coleman is injured.

However, providing we do well... we could be playing 3 games a week and relying on two young lads? It's just not fair on them and could be targeted as the weak link in the squad.

I'm telling you, in as much as possible that an opinion is a fact that Martina is nowhere near as good as either Holgate or Kenny.
We play him...were in trouble.

Because you don't head into a 50+ game season with two 20-year-olds as your right-back options Zat.

Instead you head into a 50 game season with 2 20 year olds and an absolute donkey?

I'm not arguing anything other than the guy is awful...

Zat its great you (as always) championing the youth .
But before you carry on about Kenny take a watch of the u20 world cup final. Although he did some creditable things in the game Penaranda was far too strong for him plus their overlapping full back brushed him aside with ease when they were attacking.
He is undoubtedly a talent but he would be singled out in the Prem and could ultimately ruin him.
Far to soon to push the kid now ,let him develop more or loan him to a Championship club.
Martina is a safe option until Seamus is back.

This is an interesting point you make and one i disagree with as i thought the opposite. I felt Penaranda (what a name) was kept at bay very well.

My main issue is that martina is 'THAT' bad....he really is.

If he starts then its a major concern...its like seeing Chelsea line up full strength and a league 2 right back....what do you do?

It's a bit odd that after the world cup that Spain win, everyone was jumping over each other trying to sign Spanish players here. Germany win the world cup 3 years ago and hardly any moved to England. Would have thought the Bundesliga would be a fantastic league for players as it's similar to the Premier League.

Just random thoughts...

As others have posted, we could well be playing a huge amount of games this season. We can't just rely on the kids however good a prospect they might be. I haven't seen enough of Martina to give a verdict on how good/bad he might be, but Koeman must think it's a benefit to have him in the squad and he's got a bit more experience than me, so I'll go with it.
if the younger lads start have a few bad games in a row continually playing them still could effectively ruin them.
I really hope Kenny can cut it and we'll end up seeing more of him at RB than any of the others mentioned... leave Cuco for the League Cup games/dead rubbers in latter parts of Europa League etc.
The one thing I don't want to see too much more of is Holgate at RB. That's not his natural position, want to see him in the centre - either in a 2 or 3 (probably a 3 while he gets more game time). Using Martina in certain games at RB gives us the ability to play players in their more natural position.
Guess we agree to disagree on this one, do see where you're coming from as I'd love all the youngsters to come through and be brilliant all season, but that's probably a bigger gamble than relying on Martina to do a job isn't it?

Here's the thing...

Lets say Kenny starts off and has a blip so needs to be taken out of the side.

Do you either play Holgate there who hasn't been getting games due to us playing a flat back 4.

Or do you play Martina who is awful.

That's my perspective...

I'm telling you, in as much as possible that an opinion is a fact that Martina is nowhere near as good as either Holgate or Kenny.
We play him...were in trouble.
We cannot rely on two young lads all season.

That's why Martina would be BACKUP.

Never said he's better than the youth, just that it would be unfair on them to expect Kenny to play every game and keep up form.

Personally I don't mind Holgate at RB as he does a job defensively. Others think differently.

This is an interesting point you make and one i disagree with as i thought the opposite. I felt Penaranda (what a name) was kept at bay very well.

My main issue is that martina is 'THAT' bad....he really is.

If he starts then its a major concern...its like seeing Chelsea line up full strength and a league 2 right back....what do you do?
Problem is that Kenny is literally a League One RB at this point. It is the highest level he played. He will get the same treatment. Can he handle it? I guess we will find out in these friendlies. Holgate I trust defensively but his crossing is a major issue considering we are looking to our fullbacks for width

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back