Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
If only we had some right footed players that could play on the right hand side.

Wait a minute.....................

Go on then, in our squad if Barkley left what is a comparable right side if Sigurdsson and Lookman are rotating on the left.

Holgate get's too much stick imo Zat. I've seen him play one bad game defensively and that was in swirling winds away to Stoke when they played Crouch on him. But we're not going to play Stoke or Palace every week.

He's young and has a lot to learn still, especially to do with concentration and positioning. The only way he's going to learn his trade is by playing, preferably alongside an experienced CB ( who's good in the air) as you say. But everyone seems to be writing him off in a back 2.

For me, he also does a job at RB as a back up, but because he's directly compared to Seamus from an attacking perspective he's being written off there too. The lads still 20 ffs and has bags of potential. I think he's potentially better than Stones as a footballing CB as he doesn't take the same risks.

I'd have Keane and Holgate rotating in that RCB position depending on the opposition. I really rate Holgate and if we play a high line he's ideal compared to plodders who keep us on the back foot.
Then the LCB slot in comparison has jags and Williams...
Big drop in quality for me.

It's like ive just been posting about left side of attack, if we sign Sigurdsson..
Sigurdsson and Lookman rotating on the left and Mirallas, perhaps Rooney then Bolasie on the right?
Big drop in quality again.

I do hope there are a few more signings as we look very strong in areas and then an injury away from a weakness in others,

Holgate get's too much stick imo Zat. I've seen him play one bad game defensively and that was in swirling winds away to Stoke when they played Crouch on him. But we're not going to play Stoke or Palace every week.

He's young and has a lot to learn still, especially to do with concentration and positioning. The only way he's going to learn his trade is by playing, preferably alongside an experienced CB ( who's good in the air) as you say. But everyone seems to be writing him off in a back 2.

For me, he also does a job at RB as a back up, but because he's directly compared to Seamus from an attacking perspective he's being written off there too. The lads still 20 ffs and has bags of potential. I think he's potentially better than Stones as a footballing CB as he doesn't take the same risks.

Simple question then, would you be happy to see him starting the first 6 games of the season in a back 4 at cb?

I'd have Keane and Holgate rotating in that RCB position depending on the opposition. I really rate Holgate and if we play a high line he's ideal compared to plodders who keep us on the back foot.
Then the LCB slot in comparison has jags and Williams...
Big drop in quality for me.

It's like ive just been posting about left side of attack, if we sign Sigurdsson..
Sigurdsson and Lookman rotating on the left and Mirallas, perhaps Rooney then Bolasie on the right?
Big drop in quality again.

I do hope there are a few more signings as we look very strong in areas and then an injury away from a weakness in others,

Probably the weakest depth part of pour team is cb Zat, and the strongest is cm, so your option is to play holgate in back 3 and drop out a centre mid effectively?

If rumours are true...Walcott. But a fair superior upgrade would be balde. It's a pity he's off to west hamlol

Walcott is just an amazing link. I wonder who comes up with this stuff...vivid imagination.

Unless we really did enquire which would be a Bolasie type worry.

Still cant believe we signed Bolasie whose stats are worse than Niasse...

What you on about mate, did i say never going to play cb?

I said the manager doesn't seem to wish to play him as a cb - hence Jagielka, Mori, Pennington etc played ahead of him in a back four, hence why after Aunautovic tore him to shreds he never played cb again last season for us.

He is just 20 yanno, not many 20 year olds play centre back in this league
Mate. If I misread "Koeman doesn't trust him. 100% not in a back 2" as, Koeman will never play him a back 2, then I apologise.

Mate. If I misread "Koeman doesn't trust him. 100% not in a back 2" as, Koeman will never play him a back 2, then I apologise.

All the evidence so far shows atm he doesn't and rightly so mate, the one game he was targeted in last season he was exposed in as not being ready yet, and more than crouch it was aunautovic who exposed him badly in behind.

In a back four as cb, he'd have the striker pushing into him every game And it'd long term damage his development. The under 21s euros showed, if needed his current flaws also.

He's a talented young player but for a team aiming to try break into the top four he us miles away right now for being ready, as I said a good loan at a Burnley, Bournemouth or Brighton calibre team or even Newcastle with fat Rafael would do him wonders, either that or a top championship side.

Let his learning mistakes come on someone else's cost

Simple question then, would you be happy to see him starting the first 6 games of the season in a back 4 at cb?
No I wouldn't. That's why I agreed with your original post that we need to bring in somebody else who would be a starter alongside Keane.

For me Holgate would be first back up to Keane and I'd probably have Williams as first back up to any new guy we brought in on the left. I'd play him in a back 2 in some cup games including Europa and also if he decided to play a back 3 in the prem. Personally I'd also have him as back up to Kenny at RB until Seamus was fit, but doubt that will happen.

He still has a lot to learn but he only way he will is by playing. If Koeman won't play him in a back 2, which is what I thought you were saying, and he is now 4th choice RB, what's the point in keeping him.

Probably the weakest depth part of pour team is cb Zat, and the strongest is cm, so your option is to play holgate in back 3 and drop out a centre mid effectively?

Removing Bolasie and Coleman as theyre crocked. Assuming we sign Sigurdsson;

Pickford/???
Kenny/Martina -- Keane/Holgate -- Williams/Jagielka -- Baines/???
Klaassen/Davies -- Schneiderlin/??? -- Gana/???
Rooney/Mirallas -- Sandro/DCL -- Sigurdsson/Lookman
Does this side look like it could challenge the top 4 to you (even if you include those ive omitted)?

Clearly we need a centre back, left back and a centre midfielder in there to rotate.

But the centre forward and right attacking slots are so weak compared to the left side if we signed Sigurdsson.

Even after Sigurdsson we would need 4 players and if we switched to a back 3 we wouldn't have the players.

Key for me is centre back and left back. We cant go into a season with these centre backs nor with one left back.

If we go with a 2 or a 3 were still in trouble defensively.

Stekelenburg, Martina lol , Williams, Jagielka are not names I'm eager to see protecting our goal.

Even though were only in mid July still I am a bit concerned that were linked strongly to Sigurdsson for such a huge amount and also giroud but aren't actually in talks for top defenders.

I expected Koeman to work with Walsh and bring in some class defenders with Keane...not Cuco

Walcott is just an amazing link. I wonder who comes up with this stuff...vivid imagination.

Unless we really did enquire which would be a Bolasie type worry.

Still cant believe we signed Bolasie whose stats are worse than Niasse...
Not all about stats though Zat. I've seen Bolasie murder us at least twice at Goodison. We could have done with him in a few of our away games towards the end of last season. We would have been a lot closer to the top 6 had he been available.

No I wouldn't. That's why I agreed with your original post that we need to bring in somebody else who would be a starter alongside Keane.

For me Holgate would be first back up to Keane and I'd probably have Williams as first back up to any new guy we brought in on the left. I'd play him in a back 2 in some cup games including Europa and also if he decided to play a back 3 in the prem. Personally I'd also have him as back up to Kenny at RB until Seamus was fit, but doubt that will happen.

He still has a lot to learn but he only way he will is by playing. If Koeman won't play him in a back 2, which is what I thought you were saying, and he is now 4th choice RB, what's the point in keeping him.

This is exactly what id have as well
Him and Kenny competing for RB (we instead sign Martina the league 2 level player)
Him rotating with Keane at RCB.

If not then we may as well loan him out for a season and then we are down to Keane and Jags/Williams who shouldn't play.

Because with the proper development he COULD turn into a very capable centre back mate, it's why i'd like to see us bring in another top centre back,push Williams down to 3rd choice - maybe retain Jagielka for a last season as emergency cover and in certain games give Besic that role in a back 3 (europe - joka cola cup etc)

Think a good loan where he plays 40+ games as a starting cb for a team would develop him much more than a peripheral role at us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back