Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a shame Hector Moreno has gone Roma.

Seems to be over his injury troubles and refound his best form at PSV.

Inigo Martinez is another player who could fit the bill.

I'm sure Walsh/Koeman will have someone in mind.

In the meantime, there's no rush. There's around six/five and a half weeks left of the window and there's no harm in giving Connolly a go there for pre-season.

I think this is how we are looking now with Coleman, Bolasie and Mori injured;

Pickford/Stekelenburg
Kenny/Cuco -- Keane/Holgate -- Williams/Jags -- Baines/Connolly
Klaassen/Davies -- Schneiderlin/Barry -- Gana/McCarthy
Lennon/Dowell -- Rooney/Sandro/DCL -- Mirallas/Lookman
I'd rather we made a few more moves so at the least we look like this with signings covering the '???'

Pickford/???
Kenny/Cuco -- Keane/Holgate -- ???/Williams -- Baines/Connolly
Klaassen/Davies -- Schneiderlin/??? -- Gana/???
???/Dowell -- Rooney/Sandro/DCL -- ???/Lookman
1 -- Stekelenburg will probably keep his place on the bench but he's not very good.
2 -- The least we can do is sign a starting CB
3 -- Ideally move on Barry/McCarthy/Besic due to injury concerns and bring in one forward thinking central midfielder to rotate
4 -- We either need two wide attacking players or one and another central striker

I'd rather have the kids as backup and spend whatever money we have on top quality. We would have ok depth and need the quality to keep at least 7th place.

With 'star' players we beat the teams below and if we do that then were 7th or better...we need top stars and depth to compete with the top 6 and may need a couple more seasons before the kids get experience so we push into top 4.

If it was so important then why are wingers a dying breed? There's a genuine lack of top class wingers in world football atm
That would support my claim really.

Top class wingers may be a dying breed because clubs are more concerned with them being very quick (Navas, Walcott etc) than they are with their ability to do 'traditional' winger things like drop the shoulder and cross from the byline. They may also be a dying breed because teams are more concerned with pacey strikers getting in behind than totem poles nodding in crosses.

But we have got quick players. People are just ignoring that fact is my point.

Sandro, Lookman, Kev, Bolasie - all quick.

Could we do with one more? Probably.

But should they be the priority over that target man? That's what I'm not sure on.

I suppose the best of both worlds would be someone like Josh King. PL experience, he often drops deep to hold the ball up, and then has the pace to get in behind as well.

I reckon Sandro will be able to do that, though, so the 'target man' has to be the main priority for me.
Sorry if I missed the earlier context, I was just responding to the bit where you said pace wasn't important when trying to win matches and saying I completely disagree.

I thought Mirallas looked like he'd lost a yard of pace last year, not sure I'd say he was quick anymore. And who knows what Bolasie will be like after his injury. Again though, I'm saying we need options not one or the other.

DCL is 21 next birthday , is 6 foot 2 inches tall and for different clubs has 54 senior games under his belt, 11 in the premiership.

There is no reason, if good enough and RK seems to think he is, why he should not play a substantial part in our season.
That "If good enough" qualifier is kinda important. Because he's not...yet.

I think this is how we are looking now with Coleman, Bolasie and Mori injured;

Pickford/Stekelenburg
Kenny/Cuco -- Keane/Holgate -- Williams/Jags -- Baines/Connolly
Klaassen/Davies -- Schneiderlin/Barry -- Gana/McCarthy
Lennon/Dowell -- Rooney/Sandro/DCL -- Mirallas/Lookman
I'd rather we made a few more moves so at the least we look like this with signings covering the '???'

Pickford/???
Kenny/Cuco -- Keane/Holgate -- ???/Williams -- Baines/Connolly
Klaassen/Davies -- Schneiderlin/??? -- Gana/???
???/Dowell -- Rooney/Sandro/DCL -- ???/Lookman
1 -- Stekelenburg will probably keep his place on the bench but he's not very good.
2 -- The least we can do is sign a starting CB
3 -- Ideally move on Barry/McCarthy/Besic due to injury concerns and bring in one forward thinking central midfielder to rotate
4 -- We either need two wide attacking players or one and another central striker

I'd rather have the kids as backup and spend whatever money we have on top quality. We would have ok depth and need the quality to keep at least 7th place.

With 'star' players we beat the teams below and if we do that then were 7th or better...we need top stars and depth to compete with the top 6 and may need a couple more seasons before the kids get experience so we push into top 4.

You say we need 6 new players and then also want to see the younger players get a sniff, we cant sign another 6 players AND give younger players a chance Zat, its not possible to do both.

Which is why players like Jags, Barry, Mirallas and Besic should be retained.

Besic doesnt have any injury concerns, its been 12months since he was last injured.

:coffee::coffee::coffee:

....Thursday morning's rumour round up;

- FootballLondon website say Arsenal were closing in on Feyenoord prospect, Joshua Zirkzee, but the youngster has travelled to Liverpool instead of London. According to Soccer News NL, the Gunners were favourites to snap up the highly rated 16 year old but the same publication later reported that Zirkzee had landed at John Lennon airport.

- Express Sport understands Jose Mourinho is attracted to the youth, English status and potential to improve of Ross Barkley but is put off by the £50m price tag. According to The Mirror, United are plotting a swoop late in the window when the players valuation is likely to dip. Paul Joyce from The Times says United and Chelsea could rock Spurs by making a bid for the midfielder.

- The Daily Mail suggest Deportivo La Coruna want Everton keeper, Joel Robles. The same outlet report Ronald Koeman is reluctant to let Gareth Barry leave for West Brom just yet.

- The Express say Everton believe they are next in line to sign Olivier Giroud with Borussia Dortmund unlikely to swoop after declaring Aubameyang will not be sold.

- According to the Liverpool Echo, Everton have agreed a £6m fee to sign Newcastle youngster, Lewis Gibson, and now hope he will snub interest from Spurs.

- Sources close to Everton say a number of Championship clubs are keen to take Everton starlet, Liam Walsh, on loan.

Good news about Walsh. Not gonna pretend I'm some super fan who follows the U23s passionately but in the few games I watched last season he was the standout player for me.

People are laughing at you mate because you think Iheanacho, a player widely known as costing £25m, should be signed for £40m.

Tammy Tampax is utter toilet, Lanzini is so bad its unreal and Nacho is available for 25m, yet you wanna pay 40m.

Abraham and Lanzini are absolute quality and it highly bothers me that a respected eye for talent such as yourself can have such a blind spot. Troubling times.

Oh and Iheanacho is only anything like £25m because of the buyback clause, it's a glorified loan. Come on boys. You're better than this.

But we have got quick players. People are just ignoring that fact is my point.

Sandro, Lookman, Kev, Bolasie - all quick.

Could we do with one more? Probably.

But should they be the priority over that target man? That's what I'm not sure on.

I suppose the best of both worlds would be someone like Josh King. PL experience, he often drops deep to hold the ball up, and then has the pace to get in behind as well.

I reckon Sandro will be able to do that, though, so the 'target man' has to be the main priority for me.

I like Josh King.

Still think Koeman's looking for a traditional centre forward though. Tall, good in the air, good link up play and can get on the end of crosses low or high.

Please come to us Giroud

You say we need 6 new players and then also want to see the younger players get a sniff, we cant sign another 6 players AND give younger players a chance Zat, its not possible to do both.

Which is why players like Jags, Barry, Mirallas and Besic should be retained.

Besic doesnt have any injury concerns, its been 12months since he was last injured.

:coffee::coffee::coffee:

Actually 5 players, id have one centre midfielder in as rotation along with Davies + someone better than Stek..,
So really, a centre back and two forwards as priority.

We'll have 60 odd games this season, if we have a position filled and a kid behind then were looking good.

Coleman/Kenny
Keane/Holgate
Baines/Connolly
Klaassen/Davies
Rooney/Dowell
Sandro/DCL

Lots of different pairings here we can rotate. Also Sigurdsson/Lookman if he signs.
In a seasons time we'd really benefit from these kids having so much experience.
Saves us a fortune in squad players and we can focus on buying quality and u23s.

Abraham and Lanzini are absolute quality and it highly bothers me that a respected eye for talent such as yourself can have such a blind spot. Troubling times.

Oh and Iheanacho is only anything like £25m because of the buyback clause, it's a glorified loan. Come on boys. You're better than this.

I think theyre pulling your chain....Abraham is a good player. Its going to be interesting how he does this season compared to our very own DCL

Ive only seen Tampax in the Euros, he was really bad, but so was Harry Kane at his age, Lanzini is a 1 in 30 player AT BEST.

City really dont wanna sell Nacho without a buyback, they know what they have there, but whoever buys him, will make a profit on the "loan".

Actually 5 players, id have one centre midfielder in as rotation along with Davies + someone better than Stek..,
So really, a centre back and two forwards as priority.

We'll have 60 odd games this season, if we have a position filled and a kid behind then were looking good.

Coleman/Kenny
Keane/Holgate
Baines/Connolly
Klaassen/Davies
Rooney/Dowell
Sandro/DCL

Lots of different pairings here we can rotate. Also Sigurdsson/Lookman if he signs.
In a seasons time we'd really benefit from these kids having so much experience.
Saves us a fortune in squad players and we can focus on buying quality and u23s.
mate we arent buying 5 new players lol, 3 more atmost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back