Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of transfer deadline day I want you all to answer these questions honestly.

Are Everton likely gain more points than the season before?

Have Everton closed the gap on quality to the teams above us?

Have Everton spent as much money as needed to improve?

Remember these questions. I believe Moomin may also have a question or two for you.

Are Everton likely gain more points than the season before?

Too early to tell, right now we're par for course for points for the same fixtures as last year which is a good sign. We've improved the midfield and defense having not really lost any quality we weren't already missing last year apart from Barry.

That said we have the extra fixtures in Europa to deal with as well so there's always the potential for us to drop down the league like we did with Martinez. Good new players but more fixtures is going to make it a challenge so I'll be cautious and say no.

Have Everton closed the gap on quality to the teams above us?

No, if I don't think we're likely to improve our points tally then I also don't think we've closed the gap.

Have Everton spent as much money as needed to improve?

Yes. The prices went mental and even though much of our business was done before the Lukaku and Neymar deals the prices this year have been through the roof. I do think Moshiri had a point when he called it "monopoly money" last year to Jim White talking about 60 million for Koulibaly. An 18 year old today went for more than what we probably spent in total and we still spent a staggering amount of money. Whether the amount of money we spent translates into improvements in the points totals or a cup remains to be seen but at the moment I still feel the squad is incomplete despite the final total spent.

Not sure what you're getting at. We missed out on a player who we were interested in, so we must sign someone in the same position?
Mate, that's an odd position. So if you are saying we say we aimed at someone like Icardi, he turns us down then that is it? No plan B? No backup to a position you literally just identified as a position you are saying you would like to improve in? Im guessing we didn't get a CB because VVD turned us down, so why bother looking at anyone else?

There was absolute fume last summer's deadline day when we got Valencia in knowing we needed way better cover for our main striker.

One year on we don't even have a established main striker. You can't say we are taking big strides when you don't replace your 90m striker in the same window.

I'd like to add that we're going into a season with aspirations of top 6 with Jagielka and/or Williams still relied on in defence.

I can only assume we were pretty sure more players would be sold, namely Barkley for 30m+ to allow us to get one in.
In fairness I think, in the ideal world, we would have sold Barkley, McCarthy and Funes Mori had they all been fit, which would have brought in an extra £60/70m between them. That would have given us extra financial muscle, but I honestly don't think that's the only reason we haven't brought in the striker and defender we needed. I think we had money for a striker; how much I'm not sure; but I think we ended up looking for defensive cover, rather than the starter we needed, because we weren't able to sell Mori. I just don't think we could find the quality we were looking for within the limited time we left ourselves. Think it's as much down to bad management as lack of funds. Realise this will probably go against the general consensus.

I'm struggling a bit because in general we've had a good window, a really good window but this last 2 weeks has really knocked the wind out of our sails. I fear we'll get to the end of the season comfortably 7th just a handful of points
off 4th asking our selves why we didn't sign that striker we so obviously needed at the start of the season.
It just feels like same old Everton and the manager being let down again.
We'll be nowhere near 4th.

We're a bang average team who can't score.

In fairness I think, in the ideal world, we would have sold Barkley, McCarthy and Funes Mori had they all been fit, which would have brought in an extra £60/70m between them. That would have given us extra financial muscle, but I honestly don't think that's the only reason we haven't brought in the striker and defender we needed. I think we had money for a striker; how much I'm not sure; but I think we ended up looking for defensive cover, rather than the starter we needed, because we weren't able to sell Mori. I just don't think we could find the quality we were looking for within the limited time we left ourselves. Think it's as much down to bad management as lack of funds. Realise this will probably go against the general consensus.

I think they've found it genuinely difficult to source an available striker who they deem good enough to throw a load of cash at which they might not make back through the sale of Barkley.

Think Rooney would be better as a centre forward than at 10 anyway + DCL looks promising, Sandro. Another option would have been nice but I'm not sold on the big galoot option, why don't Other top teams do it? Of the names mentioned, most were uninspiring. A centre back who can step out with the ball is a big omission.

Mate, that's an odd position. So if you are saying we say we aimed at someone like Icardi, he turns us down then that is it? No plan B? No backup to a position you literally just identified as a position you are saying you would like to improve in?

Because the squad has lots of holes and there are many positions which also need strengthening. If we identify someone who can offer some value and make a bid, it doesn't automatically follow that we're desperate for that particular position on the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back