Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still sitting on the fence at the moment. What happened today was either

a) The lad coming to his senses and realising that, when push came to shove, he didn't want to leave his boyhood club.

b) An underhand agreement between player/agent/buying club (or even Spurs) to delay the transfer until January when we, the selling club, could command a much lesser fee, and he is fully recovered from his injury.

There is an easy way to find out. Stick a contract under his nose next week and give him a week to sign. If he does, brilliant. It will go some way to making up for missing out on a quality striker this window. If he doesn't, then suspend him from the club for the remainder of his contract. His actions today, in any other form of business, would be construed as gross misconduct. Let him, his agent and the PFA take us to court if need be. But I'd make sure that there is no way he get's close to that England squad for the WC. And if Chelsea/Spurs want to buy him in January, they can stump up the amount agreed today or 'koff.

Vault me. I've been Ross's biggest advocate on here and have always supported him fully. I've had my eyes opened today, but am still prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, for a few days anyway.

Ya fair play to you. You still have some faith. To me its too straight forward. The signs are too obvious. His agent and himself have decided to act like animals. It goes down as the most dishonest play against our club by any player in our history.

It clearly wouldn't... We'd be basically the same squad as last year with some minor improvements by virtue of one or two serious signings. Not enough to break the top 6.

It's not that. Keeping Lukaku a year would have delayed us signing players with the mindset to replace how we play. That's why we wanted a target man who could link up play, because the idea was to have 10-15 goals from multiple players rather than 25 goals from one.

As it is, we're now simply just a weaker team, as we have no reliable end point to our team and, therefore, no balance. So either Rooney rolls back the years and stays fit, Calvert-Lewin morphs into a superstar overnight, or our season is dead in the water already and we're looking at 7th at the very best and, arguably, are in danger of dropping as low as 9th.

Balance and a plan of attack is that important. This side is under construction right now but we didn't build on the right foundations.

The lack of striker signing is extremely appaling and no matter what excuses are given, our club needs to be ashamed that is came this way. Whatever positivity and ambition was built with the early signings has been destroyed. Basically we did **** all in July and August apart from Sigurdsson. For the 2nd consecutive season a D.O.F like Walsh, board and Koeman cannot come together to land a half decent striker. SHOCKING!

Jesus.

Can you please provide the quote of when he promised us the world?

Can you please let us know what you would consider a sensible level of personal spending on transfers from a man of Moshiri's means?
It's a figure of speech.

On our season cards last season, the slogan was 'Nothing will be the same'.

He went on a radio station and said he hid £70 MILLION for a defender, who conviniently didn't join.

Bill Kenwright said that with Moshiri, we had unrestricted funds.

But OK, we go with what we got.

The manage clearly said he needed a striker and defender and they have failed him yet again.

Arsenal are in free fall.

If we got Keane in and kept Lukaku, I'd be confident in us.

Arsenal are in free fall... 3 games into the season. It's a long season, mate.

Last season we were 14 points behind Arsenal. Keane will not make up that kind of ground alone and it would be stupid to expect the same squad with one extra defender to break the top 6.

Moshiri was clear on SSN that he expects to finish sixth or better. With the absence of Lukaku's 25 league goals I don't see in that squad that we will replace them. We haven't closed the gap on those above us in my opinion so can't see us doing that well until January earliest and the new window.

Striker was the one position that needed replacing with high quality and while we've tried to spread the goals around there is a big hole there at present. Playing twice a week will expose it i reckon.
Moshiri is clearly a blagger or a mentalist. I'm pretty sure it's the former but his interviews do make me wonder about the latter.

Keane has strengthened us in defence mate, only problem is Jags, and especially Williams have gone downhill.
Need to start putting some faith in Holgate. Against certain teams where we can expect lots of the play (and they don't have a massive striker), we would be better with him anyway so we can play a high line. I really think that most on here write him off as a central defender far too easily, based mainly on his performance away to Stoke last year.

Last edited:
Moshiri was clear on SSN that he expects to finish sixth or better. With the absence of Lukaku's 25 league goals I don't see in that squad that we will replace them. We haven't closed the gap on those above us in my opinion so can't see us doing that well until January earliest and the new window.

Striker was the one position that needed replacing with high quality and while we've tried to spread the goals around there is a big hole there at present. Playing twice a week will expose it i reckon.
To be fair to him, I think I heard somewhere in all that fluff he mentioned strengthening again in January?
Holding out for a better quality striker than a panic deadline day signing? I think that will be the spin from all at Everton.

There's going to be far to much reliance on Rooney now, which is far from ideal. Then it depends on how Sandro adapts, which again could go tits up.

IMO we were never going to make that much of a dent in the top 4, but we needed to solidify our position and continue to build the squad. I think with a striker we could have had Arsenal in our sights, potentially the RS as I don't think they have the squad to compete at CL and the league, something will give.

It was a disappointment not getting the 2 players, but there's enough there to at least deliver a cup some sorts.

God I want the feeling back

Arsenal are in free fall... 3 games into the season. It's a long season, mate.

Last season we were 14 points behind Arsenal. Keane will not make up that kind of ground alone and it would be stupid to expect the same squad with one extra defender to break the top 6.
We did 32 point swing on Southampton, who finished 6th in the previous area.

Defence was our problem area last year, not attack.

You're saying improving the defence wouldn't have made a difference.

We were within 6 points of 4th in April. Maybe if Keane had of been in instead of Williams, we wouldn't have lost so many games in the run-in?

It has been, we have a better defence/midfield. Wheels have fallen off these last few weeks but I'm still happy (obviously miffed about lcb and st). Hopefully DCL and Sandro continue to improve and adapt.
No strikers, none, for a 50+ game season. We sell the guy who finished second in the lead scorer rankings (for the team that finished 7th to boot) for close to a (then) world record fee and then replace him with.................. nobody. A success you say, once again, the mind boggles.

Passing the blame onto Koeman if it all goes tits up.

80% his squad, expect top 6, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back