Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least we have the warm glow of knowing that we helped Man U by selling Lukaku early so they could benefit by having him before the start of the season (how lovely of us), would have been mean if we had waited until this week and in all likelihood have got a higher price.

Our defense has improved and our central midfield has improved. Our attack from the wings and forward is a lot worse. We have the slowest team in the premier league.

Ive got a horrible feeling our games now will be 30% side ways passing across the back 3/4, 60% backward passing from midfield to the back 3/4, and then 10% will be an isolated DCL/Sandro/Niasse up top trying to hold the ball for 30 seconds while our slow midfielders rush up to help.

The other issue is that since we couldn't find a single CB or striker anywhere, it does now look like we were not willing to make high enough offers and are still a sell to buy club (i was wrong wrong on this as i had been saying have the cash ).

As we know, having good players run down their contracts when they don't want to be here can be a dangerous game to play.
Aye, dangerous but not impossible.
I think we've done pretty well this transfer window, some very good first team players have been brought in and some very promising young players for the future.
Having said that it is a dissapointment that the board have been found wanting in terms of getting an experienced first team center forward in with lots of time to do so.
Maybe they are keeping funds back to help with the new stadium and it's all carefully bugeted with this in mind. If this is the case then the long game is more important and fair enough.
If the club start pouring concrete at Bramley Moore then we have to say its good to be prudent if they don't we're forever challenging for 7th.
The next couple of seasons will be telling.
Putting things into context the team were starting to click and looked very good in patches against Split. We then had a draw with the most talented team in the prem at their place, albiet against 10 men, then we were soundly beaten by the best 'team' in the league at their place. Hopefully some good preformances and results to come

Last edited:
At least we have the warm glow of knowing that we helped Man U by selling Lukaku early so they could benefit by having him before the start of the season (how lovely of us), would have been mean if we had waited until this week and in all likelihood have got a higher price.

a higher price and no time to buy any of the 10 (?) players we mostly brought in early so we could benefit by having them before the start of the season (how lovely of us)

The other issue is that since we couldn't find a single CB or striker anywhere, it does now look like we were not willing to make high enough offers and are still a sell to buy club (i was wrong wrong on this as i had been saying have the cash ).
keane.png

skysports-sandro-ramirez-everton-premier-league-football_3992201.jpg

at least try, bedwetters

plenty of actual warm milk in the bottle before nighty-night, if you want it

Love your optimism but I think you're wide of the mark.

Pickford seems an improvement but it's still early days.

Keane and Williams are not an improvement on Jagielka and Distin. Or Jagielka and Lescott.

Baines is still there and getting worse (as much as I love him)

Bolasie over Pienaar - not for me.

Arteta would still walk into our current team. So would Cahill.

The CDM roles have seen an improvement I think.

The striker situation now is a joke.

So, I have to disagree with you. We're paying more but not sure how much progression we are seeing. We still can't beat the top teams away from home and invariably struggle to beat them at home.

We had a decent start to the window (with the Lukaku money now I have no doubt) but we really went all 'Everton' with Sigurdsson and that was evident again since his transfer.

Nothing has changed.
End of the day, Koeman needs to prove his worth now. He needs to find a game plan that allows us to play 2 10's, ignores width and where we can still play direct football utilising DCL's ability to hold up play, Sandro's pace etc. 4-3-3 really isn't an option anymore IMO. We've just spent 70m on two 10's and signed Rooney. We MUST have a formation that allows us to play at least two of them, oh and Barkley is fit soon.

3-4-3 isn't really an option either because we have no proper wing backs other than Martina (until Coleman is fit). Unfortunately that would almost be what we are most suited to, in order to get the best out of Sigurdson, Rooney and Barkley whilst keeping Gana and Snides in midfield.

Pickford
Holgate Keane Jagielka(Williams)
Bolasie Gana Schneiderlin Baines(Martina)
Rooney(Barkley) DCL(Sandro) Sigurdsson(Rooney)

Oh and then there is Vlasic, Lookman and Mirallas if we do want to play a 4-3-3 and try to beat teams with speed.

For how much Koeman is being paid, he should be able to tinker his squads as per necessary with each game. Otherwise next summer, he should be replaced.

This is an incredibly talented squad (minus the obvious striker and williams/jagz problem at the back.

Last edited by a moderator:
End of the day, Koeman needs to prove his worth now. He needs to find a game plan that allows us to play 2 10's, ignores width and where we can still play direct football utilising DCL's ability to hold up play, Sandro's pace etc. 4-3-3 really isn't an option anymore IMO. We've just spent 70m on two 10's and signed Rooney. We MUST have a formation that allows us to play at least two of them, oh and Barkley is fit soon.

3-4-3 isn't really an option either because we have no proper wing backs other than Martina (until Coleman is fit). Unfortunately that would almost be what we are most suited to, in order to get the best out of Sigurdson, Rooney and Barkley whilst keeping Gana and Snides in midfield.

Agree but losing Lukaku and not replacing him may be the biggest mistake Everton have made in recent history. This was our opportunity to push on and we've bottled it. Again

a higher price and no time to buy any of the 10 (?) players we mostly brought in early so we could benefit by having them before the start of the season (how lovely of us)

keane.png

skysports-sandro-ramirez-everton-premier-league-football_3992201.jpg

at least try, bedwetters

plenty of actual warm milk in the bottle before nighty-night, if you want it

Im referring to our manager who wanted another Cb/Striker. :coffee:

Agree but losing Lukaku and not replacing him may be the biggest mistake Everton have made in recent history. This was our opportunity to push on and we've bottled it. Again
I don't disagree with you one bit. The fact is if our net spend is 50m - that is the equivalent of Pickford and Keane. We've actually used the Lukaku funds to sign 3 number 9's, we went way to hard on Sigurdsson IMO. That focus should have been directed at a proven striker. Either that or we shouldn't have jumped on Klaassen so early.

Love your optimism but I think you're wide of the mark.

Pickford seems an improvement but it's still early days.

Keane and Williams are not an improvement on Jagielka and Distin. Or Jagielka and Lescott.

Baines is still there and getting worse (as much as I love him)

Bolasie over Pienaar - not for me.

Arteta would still walk into our current team. So would Cahill.

The CDM roles have seen an improvement I think.

The striker situation now is a joke.

So, I have to disagree with you. We're paying more but not sure how much progression we are seeing. We still can't beat the top teams away from home and invariably struggle to beat them at home.

We had a decent start to the window (with the Lukaku money now I have no doubt) but we really went all 'Everton' with Sigurdsson and that was evident again since his transfer.

Nothing has changed.

Progression from when? I agree with some of the above, but those players were purchased quite a few years ago.

Keeper - Better keeper in place than previous/ current back up players.....although early days but certainly optimistic.
Defence - Keane & Williams are an improvement on what we had. Previous transfer windows brought in the likes of Alcatraz.
Midfield - Cahill and Arteta hard to replace. Both really top quality. Still early days for The Snide and Gueye who I think are very good players. Certainly better than previous purchases such as McGeady and Cleverly.
Forwards - can't argue there as Big Heads goals did a lot for us.

I do believe though that the gap we need to bridge is going to be a hard task. We do struggle away from home, but from recent seasons we have improved at home, we have progressed, certainly from when Mr Brown Shoes was in the hot seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back