Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do people keep referring to any striker having to be 2nd fiddle to Rom? You do realise we play 3-5-2 quite alot recently, that 2 does mean two forwards on the field. We only don't play 2 put and out forwards and go for Mirallas and Lookman as we have gash striking options after Lukaku.

Antonio from West Ham or Batshuyai for Chelsea would be decent signings. Although as someone else mentioned Inaki Williams would suit the 'Mane' role perfectly.

Over the coming months I would be looking at Sessegnon from Fulham as a possible long-term replacement for Baines, as he looks promising.

I like the look of Tielemans from Anderlecht and obviously Dembele at Celltic is on form, but I'm sure other clubs are sniffing around both of them.

Celtic is like our league 1 tbf

I want a huge CB
I want a new winger
I also want competition for Coleman and baines
Lukaku and Barkley to sign new contracts

Why wait and see if he can? For a club owned by an apparent billionaire, with ambitions of competing with the teams at the top , why should we just wait to see if he does improve even more when we can sign a goalkeeper already towards that level? As i ask, why do we have to settle that Robles is the best we have? He wasn't as bad as Howard so people looked at him favourably, same as now, better than stek, except stek was a back up keeper before he came here anyway so hardly a huge benchmark there to overcome.

Is it just not possible that he isn't a top keeper in the making and we can do better? As for his last 'bad' game, when was the last time he was hammered with shots and kept them all out? when was the last game we were genuinly under the cosh so to speak and relied on Robles to bail us out for large portions of games? Flash back to last season and it was the same then, Robles looked better than howard but didn't face too many shots on his goal in that time neither.

Yeah true no-ones peppered us with shots for a while (hurray). That might be

a) Robles is part of defence that is understanding each other better, now that he FM and Williams have had 6 months together. I think Coleman / Baines return to something like their better form and pressing more is no coincidence now that the back three are operating better.

b) Robles has made outstanding snapshot saves in games we've been 1-0 or level in - that needs concentration and is realistically the best he can do if we're more thrifty in defence.

I'm not his agent btw : ) and you point about investment will always be true. But Billionaire's become that way not by throwing money at every challenge. If the team is progressing as is (Europa looks a possibility) then surely we have other off and on-pitch priorities like the stadium and a deputy/replacement(s) for Rom which need not include Valencia or Bolasie for my money.

We've also still got some pre-Martinez guys who may roll off in the summer when I hope Galloway returns. As such I'd be happy to see a stellar Central defender, Left back cover for Baines, a replacement for Barry in CM and Forward arrive as priorities over a keeper.

Running with your point though mate and Goalie's are vital of course, let's say Robles form stutters before end of season or is injured - and Stek is a concern - who'd be relevant targets? Someone with CL experience who we can have young keepers learn from or a long term pick like Pickford? Would you go fo Hart?

Yeah true no-ones peppered us with shots for a while (hurray). That might be

a) Robles is part of defence that is understanding each other better, now that he FM and Williams have had 6 months together. I think Coleman / Baines return to something like their better form and pressing more is no coincidence now that the back three are operating better.

b) Robles has made outstanding snapshot saves in games we've been 1-0 or level in - that needs concentration and is realistically the best he can do if we're more thrifty in defence.

I'm not his agent btw : ) and you point about investment will always be true. But Billionaire's become that way not by throwing money at every challenge. If the team is progressing as is (Europa looks a possibility) then surely we have other off and on-pitch priorities like the stadium and a deputy/replacement(s) for Rom which need not include Valencia or Bolasie for my money.

We've also still got some pre-Martinez guys who may roll off in the summer when I hope Galloway returns. As such I'd be happy to see a stellar Central defender, Left back cover for Baines, a replacement for Barry in CM and Forward arrive as priorities over a keeper.

Running with your point though mate and Goalie's are vital of course, let's say Robles form stutters before end of season or is injured - and Stek is a concern - who'd be relevant targets? Someone with CL experience who we can have young keepers learn from or a long term pick like Pickford? Would you go fo Hart?
For me personally i would want us to sign a keeper under 30 with top flight experience. So perhaps not pickford, and butland due to injuries still wet around the ears. HArt 30 now? Pushing it a bit to settle or decline depending on how his career goes.

to be honest it is difficult to just pull a name out of the air and say they are the right signing. Gomes looked fantastic before he went to spurs and in the championship really established himself again at watford. Point is there, the minute he was signed he looked awful, so yeah i cannot name a better replacement and put my word against it.

Even these butland and pickford shouts, wasn't richard wright highly rated when we bought him? And look how it turned out there as well! That is my point, no guarantee on who could well be the right man, but from a club who signed a dustman to catch the ball a little bit, i'm sure someone at the club can find them.

Plus the likes of chech we were after a year before chelsea signed him, just find another one of them and we will be fine.

For me personally i would want us to sign a keeper under 30 with top flight experience. So perhaps not pickford, and butland due to injuries still wet around the ears. HArt 30 now? Pushing it a bit to settle or decline depending on how his career goes.

to be honest it is difficult to just pull a name out of the air and say they are the right signing. Gomes looked fantastic before he went to spurs and in the championship really established himself again at watford. Point is there, the minute he was signed he looked awful, so yeah i cannot name a better replacement and put my word against it.

Even these butland and pickford shouts, wasn't richard wright highly rated when we bought him? And look how it turned out there as well! That is my point, no guarantee on who could well be the right man, but from a club who signed a dustman to catch the ball a little bit, i'm sure someone at the club can find them.

Plus the likes of chech we were after a year before chelsea signed him, just find another one of them and we will be fine.
Wright had already flopped miserably at Arsenal when we bought him

Same as many other clubs mate.

I think us and many other clubs were of the opinion that he's still not ready / if ever for the big time yet.
I watched him against Brighton towards the end of last season. He looked disinterested. It can't be easy to scout players when they can't be bothered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back