Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dembele has been great so far, no doubt on that.

But how good is he really? Considering he is playing for a club in a league where they literally win every game without effort? Is dembele really a boss striker worth 40 million or whatever is reported or is he just a Berharino type young striker who is playing the equivalent of our reserve level of football?

not long ago Griffiths looked fantastic as well remember.

In a one club league where teams are struggling to even get a point from the league leaders, is it a shocking development that a young striker is scoring a fair few goals?

If we really do have the cash what about a bid for Mezit Ozil? Having a hard time at Arsenal, but a class player who may help Rom want to stay, a statement signing to attract others and a suitable replacement for Pienaar.
Would he come to us?
How much would he cost?
Does he fit into Ronald's work ethic?

Swerve. He's got weird eyes.

Dembele has been great so far, no doubt on that.

But how good is he really? Considering he is playing for a club in a league where they literally win every game without effort? Is dembele really a boss striker worth 40 million or whatever is reported or is he just a Berharino type young striker who is playing the equivalent of our reserve level of football?

not long ago Griffiths looked fantastic as well remember.

In a one club league where teams are struggling to even get a point from the league leaders, is it a shocking development that a young striker is scoring a fair few goals?

Dembele has done it in the CL as well to be fair to him

20 Million would seem fair in the current market

Robles is no better than pantillimon, gomez, guzan, or any other second choice goalkeeper.

We need a much better goalkeeper at the club. No question on that, the same mind set saying robles is good enough is the same mind set that had Cleverley at the club , or kone was a decent option, or there is nothing wrong with Barry anymore.

You want to be successful we need better players, starting with the goalkeeper. He pales in comparison to lloris, de gea, Czech, Hart, courtois to name a few. That is the level we need to aim for, not Joel robles because he is the best we have currently got. That frame of mind is why we are having to bin most of the squad off.

Can he not develop to the level of those keepers you mention, especially given his decent run in the side at present (aside from Hart, who is over-rated). When was his last 'bad' game?

Can he not develop to the level of those keepers you mention, especially given his decent run in the side at present (aside from Hart, who is over-rated). When was his last 'bad' game?

Why wait and see if he can? For a club owned by an apparent billionaire, with ambitions of competing with the teams at the top , why should we just wait to see if he does improve even more when we can sign a goalkeeper already towards that level? As i ask, why do we have to settle that Robles is the best we have? He wasn't as bad as Howard so people looked at him favourably, same as now, better than stek, except stek was a back up keeper before he came here anyway so hardly a huge benchmark there to overcome.

Is it just not possible that he isn't a top keeper in the making and we can do better? As for his last 'bad' game, when was the last time he was hammered with shots and kept them all out? when was the last game we were genuinly under the cosh so to speak and relied on Robles to bail us out for large portions of games? Flash back to last season and it was the same then, Robles looked better than howard but didn't face too many shots on his goal in that time neither.

Dembele has done it in the CL as well to be fair to him

20 Million would seem fair in the current market

Didn't celtic go out of europe this season though?

There has plenty of players who have 'done it' in the champions league for a season and not actually been that good. The lad might be a top prospect, not trying to take away from that, it just seems he is being based on a season in a league where Brendan Rodgers can turn a team into unbeatables and run up a 30 point lead without really trying. That is pretty much summing up the scottish league there, Rodgers is being successful

Didn't celtic go out of europe this season though?

There has plenty of players who have 'done it' in the champions league for a season and not actually been that good. The lad might be a top prospect, not trying to take away from that, it just seems he is being based on a season in a league where Brendan Rodgers can turn a team into unbeatables and run up a 30 point lead without really trying. That is pretty much summing up the scottish league there, Rodgers is being successful

It's not his fault they went out of Europe

Thanks in a large part to him Celtic scored 3 goals against Man City, you can't blame him for the defence shipping 3 at the other end

He looked very assured against a top PL side

There's been enough success stories out of that league now that using the "he's only good in Scotland" argument for the truly elite players in that league just doesn't wash anymore

There's about 2-3 players a season in that League who could make that transition, this year Dembele and Tierney are in that category

Look how Deila struggled with Aberdeen's challenge this year and look how Celtic are walking it now. They have only signed two players, Dembele and Sinclair

Either that highlights how poor a manager Deila was or it highlights how important Dembele has been

It's not his fault they went out of Europe

Thanks in a large part to him Celtic scored 3 goals against Man City, you can't blame him for the defence shipping 3 at the other end

He looked very assured against a top PL side
I'm not doubting that, or offering a personal opinion on the lad because admittedly i haven't seen him play.

I just think at some of the fees knocking about that are his value are grossly over inflated and not a true reflection on what level he is performing at currently. He could well be a top striker in the making and personally i wanted us to sign him in the summer as a player for the future. I just wouldn't want to sign him now for a massive price and find out he is the equivalent of Peter crouch in this league lol

I'm not doubting that, or offering a personal opinion on the lad because admittedly i haven't seen him play.

I just think at some of the fees knocking about that are his value are grossly over inflated and not a true reflection on what level he is performing at currently. He could well be a top striker in the making and personally i wanted us to sign him in the summer as a player for the future. I just wouldn't want to sign him now for a massive price and find out he is the equivalent of Peter crouch in this league lol

20 Million in today's market is really not a lot thanks to the TV money

If Rom goes for something like 60+, 20 for Dembele is a good piece of business

Cech and Hart have been poor the past two seasons and both of them now make routine errors that cost there teams mate.

Degea was played when young through erratic displays, which given your mentality would have seen United get rid of him for a proven keeper.

Similarly coutouis last season was poor and that mind set would have seen Chelsea get rid.
Exactly. De Gea was on the verge of being binned 2 years a go but they persevered and look how it paid off!

He and Robles are the same age. I can see Joel improving month after month for us now. I think a new number 1 would be a hasty decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back