Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why wait and see if he can? For a club owned by an apparent billionaire, with ambitions of competing with the teams at the top , why should we just wait to see if he does improve even more when we can sign a goalkeeper already towards that level? As i ask, why do we have to settle that Robles is the best we have? He wasn't as bad as Howard so people looked at him favourably, same as now, better than stek, except stek was a back up keeper before he came here anyway so hardly a huge benchmark there to overcome.

Is it just not possible that he isn't a top keeper in the making and we can do better? As for his last 'bad' game, when was the last time he was hammered with shots and kept them all out? when was the last game we were genuinly under the cosh so to speak and relied on Robles to bail us out for large portions of games? Flash back to last season and it was the same then, Robles looked better than howard but didn't face too many shots on his goal in that time neither.

Think you are quite possibly the only person in the world who is casting doubnt on the fact Moshiri is a billionaire there mate

As for going and getting a keeper already at a superior level to Robles is - who exactly do you suggest, of the ones you mentioned earlier, well Hart and Cech are most certainly not playing to the same level this season as what Robles has been - and neither played above his level this season during the last season either, De Gea and Lloris are not even a slight possibility in the wildest imagining, and the same for Courtoius - who actually last season played inferior to the level Robvles is showing this anyways.

As for using the example of us never being hammered with shots proving anything - i' confused - as you seem to be saying that cos we aren't letting many shots aghainst us, that Robles doesn't have the chance to have a bad game or sme such, which would kind of suggest it doesn't matter who the keeper is then - so why need to upgrade exactly?

As for bailing us out, in the city game he produced a couple of oustanding saves to keep us level, Bournemouth game, again - 2 oustanding saves to keep the score at 3-2 for us otherwise that game could mhave easily turned into a loss, a brilliant save late on (world class in fact) to save a point against Boro, some great saves to keep us in the stokle game - when we should have been 3 down in the first half, similarly a great save in the palace game to keep us from going behind as well - and giving us the chance to nick it late.

Exactly. De Gea was on the verge of being binned 2 years a go but they persevered and look how it paid off!

He and Robles are the same age. I can see Joel improving month after month for us now. I think a new number 1 would be a hasty decision.

Give him till the end of the season and see if his form and improvement continues, if it does then replacing him by buying the likes of whichever german is flavour of the month or similarly whichever current keeper is in the league seems a bit daft really.

The SPL has a bad rep for players coming south now but per se, it does not make them all unworthy of interest. I don't think a club in our position, despite all the brouhaha is in a position to be throwing £40m at a player like Dembele given the higher risk but I would certainly be ok with offering say £20m + part exchange + add-ons. That is not a huge outlay by today's standards.

I think the best mark of a player are the teams you have to compete with to sign them. Chelsea have been linked and if Conte is an admirer of him, that's a good sign. Normally we can't and don't compete with Chelsea for signings, but with the players age, he might consider us if we were interested, though Lukaku staying would be a complication. I want us to get around that mindset though, I like players that like competition and back their own ability. We need a selection headache there.

It is going to be hard to fill the 2nd striker spot if Lukaku does stay and with the way we set up, but that's the job of RK/SW, we badly need at least one more decent option there even if Lukaku stays on.

Does anyone think Inaki Williams would consider us as an option if we went for him? Release clause of 45 million euro is steep but he could be just as good as Mane was for Southampton in my opinion.

Anyone watched much of Lucas Perez at Arsenal? It's probably already been mentioned but apparently he's desperate to leave for first team football and we nearly got him last year.

With regards to Dembele, I've got a lot of time for young lads who are willing to go to a club like Celtic for first team football (not that they're a bad club by any means).
He could've made a lot more money playing half the minutes in a better league, playing second fiddle to a proven striker. But he's chose to go somewhere he would get the time on the pitch that he needs to develop at this stage of his career, whilst earning a bigger move in the process.

Mucho respect.

If we really do have the cash what about a bid for Mezit Ozil? Having a hard time at Arsenal, but a class player who may help Rom want to stay, a statement signing to attract others and a suitable replacement for Pienaar.
Would he come to us?
How much would he cost?
Does he fit into Ronald's work ethic?
The answer to your 1st and 3rd questions is a resounding no. Cost wise he'd be 30m+ and probably looking for 200k a week in wages. A big no from me as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back