Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will get another keeper, just a question on whether it is going to be 1st 2nd or 3rd choice as Koeman has stated he likes to work with three senior keepers. Need at least one new centre half and I would say really we need two. I like what I have seen from Tilemens and although we look overloaded in midfield if we could get him for the right price I would be happy with that. If Sunderland go down I think Defoe would be great to partner/interchange with Lukaku as a season long stop gap. I also wouldnt mind us going back in for Lucas Perez as whenever I have seen him play for Arsenal think he has looked useful. We have missed the boat with Dembele and think he is going to move to a Chelsea type of club and probably waste 2 seasons of his career as 2nd or 3rd choice before moving on again. With McGeady and Lennon surely going to be leaving in the summer and Bolasie goosed we will need another winger. Would love to see us go out and get a Perisic.

For me personally i would want us to sign a keeper under 30 with top flight experience. So perhaps not pickford, and butland due to injuries still wet around the ears. HArt 30 now? Pushing it a bit to settle or decline depending on how his career goes.

to be honest it is difficult to just pull a name out of the air and say they are the right signing. Gomes looked fantastic before he went to spurs and in the championship really established himself again at watford. Point is there, the minute he was signed he looked awful, so yeah i cannot name a better replacement and put my word against it.

Even these butland and pickford shouts, wasn't richard wright highly rated when we bought him? And look how it turned out there as well! That is my point, no guarantee on who could well be the right man, but from a club who signed a dustman to catch the ball a little bit, i'm sure someone at the club can find them.

Plus the likes of chech we were after a year before chelsea signed him, just find another one of them and we will be fine.

He's 29 mate. He's got his best years ahead of him and bags of experience. They should go all out to get him.

Last edited:
He's 29 mate. He's got his best years ahead of him and bags of experience. They should go all out to get him.

Why does everyone rate Hart so highly? Is it because he's English?

Seems to be some fantasy surrounding Hart after the odd quality performance against Barca etc. but he's been wildly inconsistent for a few years and he's been very average in Serie A this season. There are better and cheaper out there.

Why does everyone rate Hart so highly? Is it because he's English?

Seems to be some fantasy surrounding Hart after the odd quality performance against Barca etc. but he's been wildly inconsistent for a few years and he's been very average in Serie A this season. There are better and cheaper out there.

I always used to rate him myself, but after the last 3 or 4 seasons i dont seem to rate him as much, wether that is because he still hasent ironed out flaws in his game he had when he was slightly younger or maybe now that there are better keepers around

Yeah true no-ones peppered us with shots for a while (hurray). That might be

a) Robles is part of defence that is understanding each other better, now that he FM and Williams have had 6 months together. I think Coleman / Baines return to something like their better form and pressing more is no coincidence now that the back three are operating better.

b) Robles has made outstanding snapshot saves in games we've been 1-0 or level in - that needs concentration and is realistically the best he can do if we're more thrifty in defence.

I'm not his agent btw : ) and you point about investment will always be true. But Billionaire's become that way not by throwing money at every challenge. If the team is progressing as is (Europa looks a possibility) then surely we have other off and on-pitch priorities like the stadium and a deputy/replacement(s) for Rom which need not include Valencia or Bolasie for my money.

We've also still got some pre-Martinez guys who may roll off in the summer when I hope Galloway returns. As such I'd be happy to see a stellar Central defender, Left back cover for Baines, a replacement for Barry in CM and Forward arrive as priorities over a keeper.

Running with your point though mate and Goalie's are vital of course, let's say Robles form stutters before end of season or is injured - and Stek is a concern - who'd be relevant targets? Someone with CL experience who we can have young keepers learn from or a long term pick like Pickford? Would you go fo Hart?

Is that not big Morgan?

We've got the 4th best defence in the league, despite playing players like Mori often and a young CB who is still learning and yet some people want us to spend loads of money on a keeper when Robles has been playing great, making saves all over the shop and commanding his area.

Robles has been amazing this season. If he carries on playing at the same level or anything close to it we don't need to replace him. I'd put money on it if we'd bought Robles from a team where he was first choice and had a good reputation people wouldn't be wanting him replaced like some do at the moment. Because many have preconceived ideas on his level of ability they don't seem to judge him on how he's actually playing, instead just looking to back up their original perception of him.

Why would we spend loads of money on a new keeper when our defence has been really strong this season. It doesn't make any sense when we could use it in attacking areas which is where we lack the quality to score enough to break the top 4.

I always used to rate him myself, but after the last 3 or 4 seasons i dont seem to rate him as much, wether that is because he still hasent ironed out flaws in his game he had when he was slightly younger or maybe now that there are better keepers around
This is what i meant about settling at 30. Goalkeepers tend to do it, not all of them but a lot of them have their style and ability and just settle and see out their years from this point on following the same style. If they are still fantastic at it then they stay at the top level, but if the style is limited then they drop down and find a new level.

Why do people keep referring to any striker having to be 2nd fiddle to Rom? You do realise we play 3-5-2 quite alot recently, that 2 does mean two forwards on the field. We only don't play 2 put and out forwards and go for Mirallas and Lookman as we have gash striking options after Lukaku.

Antonio from West Ham or Batshuyai for Chelsea would be decent signings. Although as someone else mentioned Inaki Williams would suit the 'Mane' role perfectly.

You do realise Koeman plays a 3 at the back system when it suits? In the early part of the season he was experimenting due to the options he had at his disposal and then went with those systems vs the likes of Chelsea to match them up but with no joy and against City for similar reasons and to be more solid at the back but we played that well that day he felt he had to stick with those players and that system but a lately he's referred back to his favoured 4-3-3 formation which we will no doubt use more often than not.

But even so, we still need a striker. We need someone to come in and push Lukaku, keep him on his toes, help to improve him, to give competition and to also partner him sometimes. But cos Koeman wants to play 4-3-3, we need a wide right option, a wide forward. Atm were playing Barkley there but where he isn't a natural wide player or striker, he wants to drift inside and into the centre of the park to get on the ball which in turn leaves Lukaku isolated at times so we need someone out on the right to give us the width, the quality and to link up with Lukaku and to help make us function better in an attacking sense in the final third.

We will get another keeper, just a question on whether it is going to be 1st 2nd or 3rd choice as Koeman has stated he likes to work with three senior keepers. Need at least one new centre half and I would say really we need two. I like what I have seen from Tilemens and although we look overloaded in midfield if we could get him for the right price I would be happy with that. If Sunderland go down I think Defoe would be great to partner/interchange with Lukaku as a season long stop gap. I also wouldnt mind us going back in for Lucas Perez as whenever I have seen him play for Arsenal think he has looked useful. We have missed the boat with Dembele and think he is going to move to a Chelsea type of club and probably waste 2 seasons of his career as 2nd or 3rd choice before moving on again. With McGeady and Lennon surely going to be leaving in the summer and Bolasie goosed we will need another winger. Would love to see us go out and get a Perisic.

Like your thinking here. We definitely need a CB for the first team and I agree, we could do with another to really push the 2 starting CB's. If a GK that's much better than Joel is available come the summer and getable, then I think we should go for it. And like you say, we do seem overloaded in CM but imo we do lack a CM that's more inclined to attack, get goals and create and Tielemans seems to be flourishing into that kind of midfielder these days yet he can put himself about and is a great passer of the ball. Now he'd be a great option and a reasonable price I'd imagine, more so than Sigurdsson probably who I'd really like us to go for!

Not sure I'd go for Defoe though?! Will get goals but will be 35-36 come next season! But we do need a CF to come in to give competition and push Rom, but also be able to come in and do a job. I agree that Lucas Perez could be worth looking at again. Not got the game time he's wanted at Arsenal but when he has played he seems to do well and get goals and in Koeman's preferred 4-3-3 formation he would be a great fit on the right as a wide forward cutting in, linking with Lukaku and chipping in with goals! He was brilliant playing from there for Deportivo which led to Steve Walsh recommending to Koeman in the first place. Think at this point though, Perisic is a bit ambitious! Maybe that Cafu we've been scouting of late could be an alternative out wide at a decent price?

Being linked with Oxlade-Chamberlain.

"Everton are ready to rival Manchester City’s interest in Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain this summer.

Ronald Koeman is among the 23-year-old’s admirers. The former Southampton star will have just a year remaining on his Arsenal contract in the summer.

City are already leading the chase for Oxlade-Chamberlain’s services. Pep Guardiola was impressed by the playmaker’s display in the Champions League against his Bayern Munich team two-and-a-half years ago.

But Koeman will have a war chest with which to continue his bid to overhaul of the Everton squad during the close season.

In October Oxlade-Chamberlain, who is a not a regular starter under Arsene Wenger, revealed he is set to consider his options at the end of the current campaign."

"Everton are ready to rival Manchester City’s interest in Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain this summer.

Ronald Koeman is among the 23-year-old’s admirers. The former Southampton star will have just a year remaining on his Arsenal contract in the summer.

City are already leading the chase for Oxlade-Chamberlain’s services. Pep Guardiola was impressed by the playmaker’s display in the Champions League against his Bayern Munich team two-and-a-half years ago.

But Koeman will have a war chest with which to continue his bid to overhaul of the Everton squad during the close season.

In October Oxlade-Chamberlain, who is a not a regular starter under Arsene Wenger, revealed he is set to consider his options at the end of the current campaign."

WAR CHEST ALERT

Definitely take the Ox.

I'd also take the boy Robertson from Hull, Keane from Burnley, and the Icelandic vision imp from Swansea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back