Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Everton's Transfer Window

• Good

Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The way he's playing at Chelsea is due to Sarri's very rigid system though, it's not as if he's went to Chelsea and lost his ability to dribble and beat players. I think if he was back in a set up where more of the attacking impetus was reliant on him then he'd be a bit more adventurous. He definitely isn't a world beater as many of us hoped he would be when he burst onto the scene but he is a good player who would improve the majority of midfields in this league (including ours imo). That being said he's a rat who done us out of 20 million.
Dude, he lost that ability with us first. It has nothing to do with how Sarri plays. Koeman would get ALL OVER HIM about it, tried to push him hired up the field, but Ross would have none of it. He wants to sit back and spray it around. That's what he wants to do. The Goodison game was an anomaly. Have the time he'll have 20 yards in front of him and he won't dribble forwards. Gomes is a better player, no question.

We'd need two, even beyond Gomes if he stays. I'd prefer a 6 and another CM/DM. That assumes we are shipping off Morgan, McCarthy, Besic, etc. We have to be able to play both of Silva's preferred tactics IMO. Twin CM/DMs and the Anchor Man/Box to Box.

For me I would go all out for Bruno Fernandes. Think someone of his quality in the middle would make a massive difference.

Possibly, I still think he would be better in the Quarterback role.

He doesnt really drive the ball up the field, hes more twinkle toes, tricks and 90 yard balls.

He can drive with the ball, but to me looks best playing a bit deeper with ground in front of him. Essentially the role we should have played Arteta in.

70m for 2 players who we know can play in the league, its a little on the high side I admit, but I like both players and they both improve us.

My concern is that I honestly cant see much dough being in the kitty, so IMO 70m is basically our whole budget, we are then relying on getting dough for a lot of utter crap players.

The days of getting bargains from abroad are pretty much over, I mean we paid 25m for some crap Striker from Turkey, Leicester turned down offers in excess of 50m for Harry Maguire last Summer. Can also see us offering Jags and Baines another year on reduced wages. With Holgate coming back in this allows us to spend money on attacking areas and hopefully a midfielder.

I know we all had visions of us fixing the squad in this upcoming window, but really cant see us adding many players myself. Gomes and Zooms, with Henry and Vlasic coming in isnt a bad start tho, leaves us a proper midfielder and a proper striker away from having a decent squad.

Everything of course depends on how many pants we can pull down on shifting out.

I'd imagine the 70 million figure is based roughly on 35 each. It's ballpark what Barca are demanding. We have said our hope is around 25 million. That's how I can see the negotiation going for both, wanting to get them in at around 60 million.

It's a big fee, but some points to note. Firstly both of them are approaching their best years (at ames 24 & 25). They should both only get better. I also think you can't put an easy price on continuity. I fully understand people saying "what is Brands for" and there is some justification for that. We could gamble 10 million on a young Dutch or German lad who is 3-4 years off their prime and an enormous risk. We did this to an extent with Sandro and Klaassen. It worked out terribly.

Picking players up, who know your system, manager, club, area, team etc is very important. You are taking a lot of risk out of the transfer. There is a premium on that. Whether that premium equates to 30+ million for Zouma is an open question.

I hope he stays. He's a monster and if we got him in, with Keane and Mina I'd know we had boxed centre back off for some time, especially when you factor in Gibson, Holgate and Feeney behind them. For Brands he may well be thinking, look at getting positions that are "boxed off" as it were. Solve problems then take more risks. I would be nervous of a fee much above 30 million but I can see the logic of it. We go and whack 10 million on 3 players who flop and it works out more expensively doesn't it?

Oh and I do take the point 70 is about our entire budget. However from what I've heard from Silva he is more old fashioned on this, and I sense Brands may be on board from his time in Holland that your first priority is to look to keep what you have. If you can add more on top that's a bonus, but if you have players who are settled and doing a good job, you tie them down first.

It was the basis Moyes built his teams. Is it as glamorous, exciting, pulsating or exotic as bring 8-10 in every season? Absolutely not. For a club in our situation, who clearly have funds though by no means unlimited funds is it an effective way to move forward? You'd have to conclude yes.

I'd imagine the 70 million figure is based roughly on 35 each. It's ballpark what Barca are demanding. We have said our hope is around 25 million. That's how I can see the negotiation going for both, wanting to get them in at around 60 million.

It's a big fee, but some points to note. Firstly both of them are approaching their best years (at ames 24 & 25). They should both only get better. I also think you can't put an easy price on continuity. I fully understand people saying "what is Brands for" and there is some justification for that. We could gamble 10 million on a young Dutch or German lad who is 3-4 years off their prime and an enormous risk. We did this to an extent with Sandro and Klaassen. It worked out terribly.

Picking players up, who know your system, manager, club, area, team etc is very important. You are taking a lot of risk out of the transfer. There is a premium on that. Whether that premium equates to 30+ million for Zouma is an open question.

I hope he stays. He's a monster and if we got him in, with Keane and Mina I'd know we had boxed centre back off for some time, especially when you factor in Gibson, Holgate and Feeney behind them. For Brands he may well be thinking, look at getting positions that are "boxed off" as it were. Solve problems then take more risks. I would be nervous of a fee much above 30 million but I can see the logic of it. We go and whack 10 million on 3 players who flop and it works out more expensively doesn't it?

Yeah its about ticking boxes for now.

As I said prematch, 70m is a bit steep, but then Gomes plays like that and its cheap.

Gomes did go a bit AWOL at 1 point, maybe fatigue? Hes a real confidence player also, but hes shown his class on more than 1 occasion and im sure as he settles more and gets to grip with everything he will no doubt start to give us 9/10 every week, hes a real class act, he really is.

Zooms, I love him, but he does go a bit walkabout at times, still hes a big strong unit, not slow and as you say at a good age.

I like them both, if they cost 70m, well at least we know what we are paying for, I mean im sure we would hate to spend 50m on somebody like Kieta and watch them stink the league out.

Yeah its about ticking boxes for now.

As I said prematch, 70m is a bit steep, but then Gomes plays like that and its cheap.

Gomes did go a bit AWOL at 1 point, maybe fatigue? Hes a real confidence player also, but hes shown his class on more than 1 occasion and im sure as he settles more and gets to grip with everything he will no doubt start to give us 9/10 every week, hes a real class act, he really is.

Zooms, I love him, but he does go a bit walkabout at times, still hes a big strong unit, not slow and as you say at a good age.

I like them both, if they cost 70m, well at least we know what we are paying for, I mean im sure we would hate to spend 50m on somebody like Kieta and watch them stink the league out.

How much would De Bruyne cost? He's a similar type of player to Gomes but very consistent. How much would even Arteta has cost (pre cruciate injury)? I think in the current market you are looking at 70 million alone (and De Bruyne in excess of 100).

I don't say that to scare people but to say, if you are signing a lad for 20-35 million in his first season, following a really difficult year in both his footballing and personal life last year I don't necessarily expect them to be at it every week. You want to see what they are capable of and see them edging towards more consistency.

I would suggest that Gomes was tired, he was burnt out and it wasn't great management by Silva, he appeared to be playing through an injury. I also think other teams "worked him out" a bit and he is finding ways of getting around that. Today though he was brilliant. He dominated the game at Anfield, very few players can do that.I think the longer he stays here the better he will get, and the more clinical he/we will be.

Zouma similar. They rave about the young lad they signed, but for me it would be no contest who I'd have out of the 2 of them today.

It's big money, and there will be big pressure on the manager. He needs them playing to the levels we saw today 3/4/5 games out of 10 and only have 1 poorer/quiet game in 10 if we sign them. He has to back himself to do that if we put the money down on them.

He can drive with the ball, but to me looks best playing a bit deeper with ground in front of him. Essentially the role we should have played Arteta in.
Agree. In Silva's 4-3-3, he'd be the front mid, but you've still got Sigurdsson, Vlasic coming back, Davies, etc. You'd still need a couple more CMs/DMs to back them up besides Gana as its obvious Silva doesn't rate McCarthy or Schneiderlin.

He doesn't contribute in defence because hes not a holding midfielder
FFS, fine. Deep lying playmaker. I recognize he's not Jorginho and said as much. He's a CM, but a box to box implies he carries the ball, which he doesn't. Again, he REFUSES to dribble by anyone. Its blatantly obvious, but you can look us the stats, too. And I don't care what role you play, if you are playing as a central mid, you HAVE to contribute defensively. He doesn't.

He's just not very good anymore. He's done. At 25. Sad.

£60 - 70 mill for the pair (Zouma and Gomes) in todays market is fair.

They both have a season with us under their belt so can hit the ground running, have their best years ahead of them and will only improve.

Reckon a top class RB will be put on hold for another season due to more pressing areas.

FFS, fine. Deep lying playmaker. I recognize he's not Jorginho and said as much. He's a CM, but a box to box implies he carries the ball, which he doesn't. Again, he REFUSES to dribble by anyone. Its blatantly obvious, but you can look us the stats, too. And I don't care what role you play, if you are playing as a central mid, you HAVE to contribute defensively. He doesn't.

He's just not very good anymore. He's done. At 25. Sad.

Well you dont have to contribute defensively if 2 of the other centre mids next to you are prominently defensive

He doesn't "dribble" that much ar Chelsea because of the daft football their clueless manager tries to play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back