Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Everton's Transfer Window

• Good

Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zouma would be an excellent defender in a good defence that has a leader.
Keane would be an excellent defender in a good defence that has a leader.

Neither of them are leaders. Together it's a problem.

Yeah thats my thinking aswell and I also beleive that to be the case with Mina.

Its why I wouldn't be against Keane being sold or Zouma not signed as we ideally need a CB who can command the back but also be able to give instructions.

Yeah thats my thinking aswell and I also beleive that to be the case with Mina.

Its why I wouldn't be against Keane being sold or Zouma not signed as we ideally need a CB who can command the back but also be able to give instructions.

It's a fair point, but most leaders aren't born that way. Other than Richard Gough I don't remember us signing a single player who was immediately a leader. It takes time.

Neither Jagielka or Distin were leaders naturally, and certainly not when they first came, but they formed a strong partnership where they both became leaders.

Keane needs to find his voice, he is playing very well and now needs to take that step. I don't see my concern with Keane about him not being a leader, but more his lack of pace.

It's a fair point, but most leaders aren't born that way. Other than Richard Gough I don't remember us signing a single player who was immediately a leader. It takes time.

Neither Jagielka or Distin were leaders naturally, and certainly not when they first came, but they formed a strong partnership where they both became leaders.

Keane needs to find his voice, he is playing very well and now needs to take that step. I don't see my concern with Keane about him not being a leader, but more his lack of pace.

Yeah his pace concerns me - Its going to be hard as the club udeally need to see how well Mina does over an extended period before trying to sign Zouma up on a permanent deal imo.

If Mina becomes a rock at the back I would rather keep Keane as back up and spend the £20-25 million we would be spending on Zouma on someone to compliment Mina like Sanchez does for Columbia.

Problem is I doubt we'll see much of Mina this season so its upto Brands to go off what he's seen of him in training I suppose.

I think we will go for a player in his mould, but maybe not him.

Doucoure would be perfect for us, watched him yesterday and he was immense against Utd. Would be a terrific signing and one of the ilk we would need. Sadly i think he will go to a CL team.

A player of a different ilk i would have a sniff around would be Tielemans on loan at Leicester hes been absolutely class since coming to this league, wonderful player.

Jagielka could organise a defence to some degree though.

Most of the issues with Keane come when our full back isn't there. At Burnley, he had a abck four which were solid and defensive, full backs stayed back so he was never dragged out wide. Now he's got Coleman who is attack minded so he has to cover more ground. Which would be fine if we kept the ball well, but if we dont keep the ball well, it leaves him vulnerable.

Kia Joorabchian

Yesterday it seemed to me Keane was the one organising andbeing vocal at set pieces .he has improved massively not just from last season but from early on in the season .if he keeps improving I have no reason to think he won't be a vital player for us going forward

Doucoure would be perfect for us, watched him yesterday and he was immense against Utd. Would be a terrific signing and one of the ilk we would need. Sadly i think he will go t a CL team.

A player of a different ilk i would have a sniff around would be Tielemans on loan at Leicester hes been absolutely class since coming to this league, wonderful player.

It will be hard with Tielemans to convince him now I'd say. That being said, Brands has shown he's very keen to go for lads who were proteges who've lost their way, and he kind of fits that doesn't he?

As for Doucoure I am not sure we pay what Watford want or what the top teams would demand. I think we will look for the next equivalent. It's a shame Ndombele has really kicked on as it could have been him. There's a lad from Napoli we like too.

A lot will probably depend on Gana. If Gana goes I think we will look for more of a lad ready to come in immediately (and maybe we would go 50+ for Doucoure?). If he stays I can see us going for someone a bit younger and a bit cheaper and allowing them to bed in a bit.

You are right though, Doucoure is a fabulous midfield player, and if Gomes got consistency into his game, him and Doucoure would be one of the best partnerships in the league.

Jagielka could organise a defence to some degree though.

Most of the issues with Keane come when our full back isn't there. At Burnley, he had a abck four which were solid and defensive, full backs stayed back so he was never dragged out wide. Now he's got Coleman who is attack minded so he has to cover more ground. Which would be fine if we kept the ball well, but if we dont keep the ball well, it leaves him vulnerable.

I agree with most of that mate, but I don't think Jagielka could organise a defence. When he first came he was all over he was all over the place when he came. With time and confidence he started to do that.

I like the continuity argument people are making in here. I’ve been advocating stability and patience for Marco and it makes total sense to get a settled squad for the first time in a few years too. Based on the news of Vlasic/Henry being part of the plans and Zouma/Gomes staying on permanent deals, it’s looking like we will have a very good spine next season, which makes it easier to trim the fat (of which there is plenty).

Unfortunately I suspect Gana will go so we’ll need to replace him (Doucoure would be boss but I doubt it), but otherwise it’ll be players leaving on our terms.

No indication that Mina can be a leader either. Need a new Jags.

It will be hard with Tielemans to convince him now I'd say. That being said, Brands has shown he's very keen to go for lads who were proteges who've lost their way, and he kind of fits that doesn't he?

As for Doucoure I am not sure we pay what Watford want or what the top teams would demand. I think we will look for the next equivalent. It's a shame Ndombele has really kicked on as it could have been him. There's a lad from Napoli we like too.

A lot will probably depend on Gana. If Gana goes I think we will look for more of a lad ready to come in immediately (and maybe we would go 50+ for Doucoure?). If he stays I can see us going for someone a bit younger and a bit cheaper and allowing them to bed in a bit.

You are right though, Doucoure is a fabulous midfield player, and if Gomes got consistency into his game, him and Doucoure would be one of the best partnerships in the league.

He did seem to get swallowed up a bit at Monaco or perhaps joined at the wrong time of the back of a CL final appearance season and many of those players being sold. That Monaco team was very much in flux when he went and really never recovered. Ive been very impressed with him since he arrived, he seems like a lad who likes a profile so i would suspect a bigger fish then Leicester may turn his head. That said he is being given somewhat of a free role in an adventurous formation for Leicester in their front five, we have loads of players like that here. But ive been really impressed with the impact and end product of this lad in this league so far. Brands i think has close links to the game in Belgium so i would say he is acutely well aware of the lad. Talk of 40 mill fee may be a bit rich for us in that area at the moment.

I think with Doucure you are looking at a similar fee to Richarlison, maybe a bit more. It wouldnt surprise me if he went to a CL team but when i look at other teams im not sure whether they need a player like him presently, Utd have pogba, City Fernandhino, Arsenal have Torreira and Guendouzi, Chelsea dont play Jorgino and Kante properly as it is, Mordor are tripping over midfielders, Spurs could have a sniff after loosing Dembelle, that leaves the likes of PSG who look like they may have different options. He might just be that type of player who is just below what the CL teams are looking for in profile as a late bloomer but to good for Watford. So a lot of clubs just below that would struggle to pay the type of wage i would assume he would be looking for. Silva was very good to him, he was the one who brought him in from the cold there. I think he would be outside of the profile of player age wise we would look at, so i think it would be a tough call for the investment. But he would be great, he and Pogba went head to head yesterday and Doucoure came out marginally ahead. We need players of physicality that we dont get physically dominated, loose battles in midfield and have a but of presence in the box in defending set pieces etc. He would make a massive difference at 8 here for us. Like you though mate i think we might go for the younger model with our investment with headroom to develop.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back