Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Everton's Transfer Window

• Good

Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The job of the DOF is to improve the squad within the financial constraints that the owner has put in place. All these made up measures that some are advocating for what a good DOF should be doing are ridiculous. So if FSG give Michael Edwards the budget to go and break two world record fees he should be a good DOF and moneyball some prospect no one has heard of? No he just massively over paid for two of the most high profile players in the world to help them be successful.

Has Brands improved the squad from what it was when he arrived? Undoubtedly yes, no one can deny this. I’m confident the squad will be better again by the start of this window too. Given that who cares if he punts a few players out the back door when their contracts end rather than getting a nominal fee for them. Who cares if people think that the fee for Lookman isn’t higher than the market value and therefore we’re not moneyballing correctly.

Brands is moving poor players out of the door at Everton (a lot of them) and he’s bringing in good players into the squad. If you list our best players then the majority of them have been bought by Brands. He’s doing all of this within Moshiri’s economic framework. There is no other measure for success for a DOF. Improve the squad as much as possible within budget. It’s not to appease some fifa fan boys by finding a Kante every single season.

Why are you jumping to the extreme and assuming things I haven't said?

It's not about finding a Kante or unearthing a gem every summer. It's about signing the players we need as quickly as possible, within budget. And it's about selling the players we need to sell as quickly as possible, staying as close as possible to their valuations.

All I said was that if the thing that is hindering us is player departures, then the club should be showing more ambition to get those players out the door faster (by amending our expectations on valuation). That, in turn, will enable us to bring in the right players that we've identified, quicker and continue the progress of the club.

I listened to the EBM podcast last night. Whilst I don't take these things as gospel, I did find it deflating. An uncharacteristically tetchy encounter between John Blain as fan advocate and The Esk as devils advocate, the latter suggesting it was strictly sell to buy.

We certainly cannot live beyond our means with regulations to comply with, a significant loss expected on the next set of accounts, and BMD on the horizon.

I think we'll get a few players in but not to the degree hoped for unless Moshiri extends a personal line of credit. The loan strategy will be very much to the fore again I feel.

We are a bit like kids on Christmas Eve expecting shiny new signings, and I am like that, but that discussion did serve to rein in my expectations quite a bit.
The fact you quoted @The Esk invalidates your post
He has been proved wrong on too many occasions

When Brands arrived the watch word was patience, there was a general acceptance that we were at the beginning of a very long painful re-build. No one needs to see that squad list from the end of 17/18 with the coach tract lengths and wages given to some players again to see what a mess we were in.

So Brands starts the first window targeting good players but showing a refusal to pay cost the odds for them. We even waited until the last day to push Barcelona to accept the fee. We were rewarded with our best window since the Moyes years and 6 first team players out of 6 transfers.

We get to the second summer window and all of a sudden all patience is now gone. The strategy of waiting for the right players at the right price has just been replaced with us wanting to just overpay for players we don’t want just to ‘get someone in’. There’s now a desire to accelerate what was probably a 5 year job into one transfer window. ‘Just buy 4 top class first team players in these positions now Brands FFS’

I don’t know whether it’s the success of his first window has created a rod for his back or if people are just on the wind up but do people realise what a task that is we are asking of him? Essentially to completely revamp 5 years of terrible recruitment within two summer windows, delivering us 10 first team players of top 6 quality at bargain prices, oh and by the way you need to have a 100% success rate on your transfers, and we’d like you not to leave any deals until later in the window.

It’s completely unrealistic and fortunately Brands seems single minded and competent enough to follow his own strategy rather than reacting to a hysterical fan base.

You’ve hit every possible nail on the head, and people in here won’t like it because you’ve shown them up as the impatient, feet-stamping toddlers that they are.

Personally I wouldn’t mind Zaha. He’d bring a direct threat and we are missing someone who can dribble past players with pace to compliment richarlison’s power and Bernard’s trickery.

If we could just shift tosun then the sales of him, lookman, McCarthy and Henry would pretty much cover it.

What makes me think it can’t carry on is other teams improving their squads around us and DCL’s atrocious scoring record.

If you think we can progress with him as our main striker, more fool you.
You obvs don't see (understand) the rest of DCL game like our manager does.

You obvs don't see (understand) the rest of DCL game like our manager does.

Does our manager understand it? Given he only gave him circa 1900 minutes last season? Or is it more a lack of an alternative.

Personally I wouldn’t mind Zaha. He’d bring a direct threat and we are missing someone who can dribble past players with pace to compliment richarlison’s power and Bernard’s trickery.

If we could just shift tosun then the sales of him, lookman, McCarthy and Henry would pretty much cover it.

Zaha would be excellent here. I just don't think that Palace will drop their price sufficiently for him to leave. I also don't think we'll pay north of £50m for him.

Arsenal might.

gonna be interesting to see what kind of player we replace him with, Quite excited by it tbh.

Hopefully one that’s more comfortable on the ball & is more positionally savvy, but still has his ability to run all day and tackle.

Bonus points if he can shoot, is tall and is two-footed.

Well we have already spent 30mil and sold no one of note so that smahsed your bore story into oblivion

I mean £16m for Vlasic and £22m out for Gomes so far. Barely spent.

Although I'm of the belief we will spend a big amount still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back