Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Everton's Transfer Window

• Good

Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm.

I think he was good overall last season. His work off the ball is probably the main reason why Silva wants to stick - or has so far at least - with the 4-2-3-1. Gylfi pressing up as a second striker is what can put teams on the back foot. He's not the quickest, but closes space down quickly, and if you have quick players around him, he has the ability to not only press and free them up, but find them too.

I know the bloke gets dead weird about it, but that Iceland Statto's vid just showed how many gilt-edged chances he created last year - in the main for Walcott, because for all Theo's faults, his movement in those scenarios is good. He could easily have hit 11-12 assists.

Anyway, Zaha would massively improve us. Worth the money. NEA.

My footballing philosophy is all about tactical consistency, game after game. I don't think you win things by hoping beyond hope that a talented player can turn up on a given day and win you the game on his own.

I don't think Sigurdsson is dreadful; I just think he needs to be accommodated in a very specific way in order to be consistent and not a liability in general play for the majority of a game.

As I say though, we're signing the right attacking players to make him a lot more viable. Not only that, we're now looking at having the right kind of players in depth - Bernard, Richarlison, Zaha, Kean.

My footballing philosophy is all about tactical consistency, game after game. I don't think you win things by hoping beyond hope that a talented player can turn up on a given day and win you the game on his own.

I don't think Sigurdsson is dreadful; I just think he needs to be accommodated in a very specific way in order to be consistent and not a liability in general play for the majority of a game.

As I say though, we're signing the right attacking players to make him a lot more viable. Not only that, we're now looking at having the right kind of players in depth - Bernard, Richarlison, Zaha, Kean.

Yeh I agree with the consistency part. As I said, as much as I rate Gylfi's quality on the ball, I think the main reason Silva uses the system he does atm is because of the quality off the ball defensively (which in turn is offensively in a pressing system). We have no other player who can play that role (as it stands) as a second striker/no.10.

But yeh, if we sign a wide forward of Zaha's ability, it makes it a lot more adaptable. Especially if we have someone like Delph fit who allows more of a flat three in the middle.

On / off ??? :)

He hasn't got a clue.

For example, if it wasn't declared by Juventus, he'd have no clue that we'd only paid less than £10m for Kean this season as it's based on three instalments.

We could easily be putting £20m down for Doucoure and £40m for Zaha instead of £40m outright and £65m outright. He simply has no clue what we're doing - he has never learned to stop pretending he does.

Let's remind ourselves what that Everton statement said about Zaha - "Both clubs agreed that was end of the matter." What has changed since then that might cause both clubs to reconsider ? It's hard to imagine that Palace are any more keen to do a deadline day deal which will leave them light going into the new season. And as for Everton, we'd like to bring in another wide player, but we're not so desperate that we need to offer more than our original valuation. So I'm very sceptical about this Independent story, it smells to me like something planted by an agent hoping to flush out new offers.
The only thing that comes to mind as a possibility is we agreed to that statement to allow Palace the ability to try to do the rest of their business without the burden of other clubs knowing they just received a ~60m windfall. It would be a Brands type of move. You will note that their interest in McCarthy disappeared at the same time. It could be feasible that a deal was struck with an agreement not to conclude until the end of the window. Everton gets Zaha, Palace gets McCarthy and money.

All I know is that it is all interesting and I am much more able to enjoy this week knowing at least Gbamin and Kean are in the fold.

To be fair to him, at least he hasn't done a Berahino on the whole thing. He's stayed relatively silent and shown professionalism and respect.

If he's got a brain, he's realised he's on the fringe of getting a move to a Champions League club but those clubs have better options for the same money. A move to Everton, on the fringe of that level, makes sense.

For him it was always only going to be at best Man Utd or Arsenal.
I understand what your saying but for me showing professionalism and respect would have meant getting his head down and honouring the contract he signed and for which he has received and continues to receive the remuneration he and his agent negotiated for.
That would have been showing respect and professionalism.
He is just another talented but selfish footballer, but if he comes and does well for us I will happily and hypocritically cheer him on because it’s Everton F.C. I follow , the players are mostly just tools who serve our purpose (or not as the case maybe).

no other player had more man of the match awards last season.. 2nd highest average game rating on whoscored behind Digne...Just saying... consistency and all.. I agree pacy players around you makes you better.. but wouldnt that go for any number 10... No issue with your opinion.. just see it differently.

He's already on that, if not more.

We'd be paying him much closer to 200, I imagine.
Which, imo, isn't realistic to do. This whole thing is completely against what Moshiri said he wanted. Lowish wages but high transfer fees for younger players. And I know he said there would be exceptions but I just don't see Zaha being that exception. He is a good player but I just don't see how he is going to push us on to the next level.

He hasn't got a clue.

For example, if it wasn't declared by Juventus, he'd have no clue that we'd only paid less than £10m for Kean this season as it's based on three instalments.

We could easily be putting £20m down for Doucoure and £40m for Zaha instead of £40m outright and £65m outright. He simply has no clue what we're doing - he has never learned to stop pretending he does.

Well to be technical, we havent paid 10m per season for Kean, his fee will be spread over the 5 year contract, for book purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back