Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Everton's Transfer Window

• Good

Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
How is it strange?

If you sign players of the level of clubs below/around us we'll never progress its that simple.

We need to sign more players like Digne, Richarlison etc who are a level above and wouldn't look out of place in a top 6 side.

Same way we were 7th miles ahead of 8th as we had the likes of Lukaku who was miles ahead of other clubs strikers around us - if you then sign Hernandez or Deeney you aint moving up the table.
We signed Digne from Barcelona. They are a level above us. No argument there.

But we signed Richarlison from Watford. At the very most you would say they are on our level, usually they are well below us.

Not to mention our other 3 top performers last season in Gueye (Villa), Sig (Swansea) and Keane (Burnley) who are all from clubs that nearly always finish below us. Pickford was from Sunderland as well and I think he’s really good, although some people don’t.

I think the message should be changed to “sign the best quality of player you can” rather than “sign anyone as long as they’re from a big club”.

All good players usually start off at a lower level/mid table club. You’ve just got to be clever enough to sign the right ones.

There’s nothing wrong with signing players from relegated or mid table PL clubs in my opinion. In a way there’s less risk with that than signing players from abroad. At least you know they can cut it in English football, they’ll know the language and they don’t hate living in the UK.

The rs signed mane and van dijk from Southampton. Robertson from hull.
Spurs signed trippier from Burnley. Wanyama and alderweireld from Southampton.
All will start champions league final tonight.
So signing players from teams below you does improve you .

Your point makes no sense, im not arsed about the size/stature of a player's club - Lyon are a bigger club than PSV but imo Lozano is miles better than Traore as are a number of wingers out there like Neres Who are available this summer and for me we should be looking elswhere at those types who would push us forward.

Traore to me screams a budget signing - guess we'll have to wait and see.

We signed Digne from Barcelona. They are a level above us. No argument there.

But we signed Richarlison from Watford. At the very most you would say they are on our level, usually they are well below us.

Not to mention our other 3 top performers last season in Gueye (Villa), Sig (Swansea) and Keane (Burnley) who are all from clubs that nearly always finish below us. Pickford was from Sunderland as well and I think he’s really good, although some people don’t.

I think the message should be changed to “sign the best quality of player you can” rather than “sign anyone as long as they’re from a big club”.

All good players usually start off at a lower level/mid table club. You’ve just got to be clever enough to sign the right ones.

There’s nothing wrong with signing players from relegated or mid table PL clubs in my opinion. In a way there’s less risk with that than signing players from abroad. At least you know they can cut it in English football, they’ll know the language and they don’t hate living in the UK.

See my post above - not once did I say we shouldn't sign Traore because he's from Lyon - im saying he's the sort of player Leicester or Wolves would go for who are happy sat in their 7-10th PL bracket.

If the club are serious about getting 7th minimum with a good gulf between us and the rest (not 3 points with a worse GD like Wolves had over us this season) and really push for top 6 we need to go for that calibre above like Digne/Richarlison who wouldn't look outof place in a top 6 side.

I'm trusting Brands over you lot, If Traore is the guy then he is the guy.

He was the guy

See my post above - not once did I say we shouldn't sign Traore because he's from Lyon - im saying he's the sort of player Leicester or Wolves would go for who are happy sat in their 7-10th PL bracket.

If the club are serious about getting 7th minimum with a good gulf between us and the rest (not 3 points with a worse GD like Wolves had over us this season) and really push for top 6 we need to go for that calibre above like Digne/Richarlison who wouldn't look outof place in a top 6 side.
Fair enough.

I don’t watch any French football so I’ve no idea about how good Traore is apart from his transfermarkt stats which I looked at this morning (pretty good by the way). Maybe you’ve watched him a bit so know he’s not good enough to push us on.

But you have to admit that none of the top 6 would’ve gone for Digne or Richarlison last summer. Digne has failed to make an impact at Barcelona and Richarlison had faded in the 2nd half of the season at Watford.

Appreciate Richarlison May have chosen us over a top 6 club last summer because of his relationship with Silva, but that won’t be the case 99.99% of the time. If a champions league ready player is available he will go to a CL club. That’s the way it works.

You have to be smart and look at a player who has been overlooked for whatever reason.

Maybe Traore’s break out season will start in August. I don’t know. Or maybe he will offer more than Walcott. To be fair he doesn’t have to be that productive.

Your point makes no sense, im not arsed about the size/stature of a player's club - Lyon are a bigger club than PSV but imo Lozano is miles better than Traore as are a number of wingers out there like Neres Who are available this summer and for me we should be looking elswhere at those types who would push us forward.

Your words were if you sign players from clubs around or below you that you will not progress. That is what you wrote.
And it is not at all correct

I think you need to take a look at the level we are currently at and reign in your expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back