Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Everton's Transfer Window

• Good

Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
he's half right about baines though isn't he, a back up is all well and fine but when called into action they need to be at least competent and whereas baines has been amazing for everton his last outing he was far from competent, was awful against wolves when we got bummed and hasn't played since

he's also picking up niggly injuries a lot, what's the point having a back up who "might" be injured when the time comes if digne got injured

not against baines signing a 1 year deal like but in my opinion id rather see robinson or someone as a deputy for now ( unless they plan to have both as back ups )

Baines in for an injured Digne for any length of time sees us shipping goals.

He is not a defender, and he now doesn't even have the speed to get into position.

Digne/Baines at RB is a calamity in the making. It'll wreck thje season if we have Digne injured.

I am losing faith in Brands if he's handing contracts to 34 year olds.

What happened to the 25 years and younger rule?
any options on what type of player will come in and sit on the bench for a year? Use someone from 23s as back up like Lewis Gibson who is only one I can see stepping up quickly

Do we want a Nice player? I thought everyone wanted us to sign more snide players?

Could see Tameze being the target here. Young cheap replacement for Gueye who would be on low wages but with a potential resale value. We then could sell Gueye to find other areas of the team. I’d be encouraged by this.

Find this difficult to believe. Another right footed winger?

How much would an ambitious club spend on one?
None. They’d spent money on CF, CM, CB, RB, and if there was funding left over, they’d think about it. Baines is fine as a backup. They’ll probably get a CB that can play on the left side that’s also a LB option if need be.

You’d be the first to rip them for not spending enough on a proper CF, which they might have to do if they spend 10M on a backup LB.

.....I like the lad a lot, I can remember him as a diminutive CB in the Academy where he always stood out. He’s no longer a kid, though, and Silva/Brands know what they have with him. I’m just not a fan of sending first team squad players on loan.

If he does well, it’s fine but if he doesn’t and struggles for game time we have a problem. Fingers crossed he’s a success, but the squad is too big and decisions have to be made regarding those we can get monies for.
It's always a difficult decision to make Eggs, especially with players like Kenny, who you know are good enough for a career in the premier, but not sure whether they can take that next step up in quality to be "our" next first choice.

I look at clubs like Chelsea as a yardstick simply because they have had a lot of promising young English players come through their ranks over the last 10 years or so. And I think Chelsea have got it badly wrong in the past. They have tended to hang onto young talent but loan them out rather than play them themselves. Many of these players are still earning a living in the lower divisions. Players like Josh McEachran, Lewis Baker, Patrick Bamford, Michael Mancienne spring to mind, but I'm sure there are many more. Players they held on to far too long and who's careers stalled as a result. they would have been far better off selling them when their stock was still high.

Maybe we're at that position now with the likes of Kenny, Dowell, Lookman and even Davies. Do we sell them when their stock is still high?

I actually don't disagree with you here. The only thing is, we have Moonhead and the EasyJet Walsh's legacy here and aging players from Moyes and Martinez gumming up the works still. If Brands shifts all those, we might have a chance at getting into strengthening the back up roles.

I believe that Digne was bought in to take over from Baines over last season and then cement his role as first choice in the upcoming season. Digne however has excelled rendering Baines obsolete. Digne has accelerated the need for a decent long term replacement that can challenge him. It's a total credit to Digne from me - Brands/ Silva need to react, but again, there are probably more urgent positions to fill that require immediate attention and the plan for keeping Baines (if there actually was one) for the year still would hold.

Baines for a year is a pragmatic choice. It's blocking up an end in cricket with an obstinate player to prevent you losing wickets and hoping you can eke out runs the other end. It's not ideal, but it is a decent enough short term option if it means that we can get to a place where short term-ism is able to be swapped for a more long term sustainable set up that caters for long term improvement.

I'd say the same thing about the new back up keeper. They don't have many more free passes from me to do this type of thing though. A couple of swift moves for high quality players that improve the team and transfer outs of 'fringe' players is required sooner rather than later to steady the nerves this summer and let us calm down before the next season starts.

EDIT: About the RB comment. If Digne or Baines are starting at RB next season because we haven't got a new RB to challenge Coleman's first team place in the very near future I will be highly disappointed.
References to cricket. I genuinely don't understand it.
We won with incredible 114-B!

Could see Tameze being the target here. Young cheap replacement for Gueye who would be on low wages but with a potential resale value. We then could sell Gueye to find other areas of the team. I’d be encouraged by this.

You really think we are replacing Gana with Tameze? He’s a good squad option. If anything we’d be selling Schneiderlin. If Gana goes, think you’ll see someone with more pedigree than that. We need another CM/DM even if we sell no one and buy Gomes. If Gana goes down, we are dead. Dead.

You really think we are replacing Gana with Tameze? He’s a good squad option. If anything we’d be selling Schneiderlin. If Gana goes, think you’ll see someone with more pedigree than that. We need another CM/DM even if we sell no one and buy Gomes. If Gana goes down, we are dead. Dead.

Gana has had huge period with us where he’s been average verging on tosh, he only stepped it up to top level mode form about Jan onwards this year. I could see us keeping Schneiderlin and selling Gueye quite easily.

I see it, Baines isnt the Baines we knew.

If Digne is out we are gonna struggle I think.

But we have a goal shy Striker, 2 CBs in the whole squad, lacking a little in midfield, an aging RB and no left footed wingers. So all that is priority before we think about collecting LBs.
It's exactly this. We would all probably let Baines go and have a new up and coming LB trying to challenge Digne and hopefully getting the odd chance. But there's too much wrong elsewhere in the squad for this to be the priority.

I suspect that Digne was bought early doors to replace Baines by the end of the upcoming season. Baines in this case may already part of the short term plans and long term strategy for playing staff with regards to this season.

The debate over this is due to the historic mismanagement of our transfer dealings from the transfer windows prior to last summer and the big failure to get a striker in last summer. If we'd have had a cohesive strategy and succesful management, then Baines would probably been shipped out 2 seasons ago, but that's all speculation and we are where we are. Again, pragmatically, Baines for a season is ok - he knows the club, he should be able to come on to relieve Digne in some matches and potentially fill in for the odd game. It's not ideal, but we have a honking big hole in defence and up front that need filling and lack of quality and options in other positions to a greater extent than that at LB.

Gana has had huge period with us where he’s been average verging on tosh, he only stepped it up to top level mode form about Jan onwards this year. I could see us keeping Schneiderlin and selling Gueye quite easily.
We would get murdered. Gana has been remarkably consistent. When he was out, our center mid was a nightmare. Can you imagine a Gomes, Siggy, and Schneiderlin midfield? That would be one of the worst defense midfields we’ve ever seen. We already struggle against Watford and other decent midfielders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back