Summer transfer window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put it this way, we aint signing a Striker that will match his goal output when he was fully fit.

If he can get fit and play most games he'll score 10 or more a season which is good enough for where we are at the moment. The big risk is that he might never play more than 20 games a season again.
I don't mean to say he isn't good enough or anything of the sort because I like him a lot but he has scored double figures twice it's not like he's Harry Kane. I think if we were buying someone for 30 million like the rumours say then we should expect them to at least be good enough to get some starts ahead of Dom and not be just a back up.

Was just trying to work out what could be the 11 vs Fulham - not sure on fitness but figure Coleman, Calvert-Lewin are out. Maybe something like this at the moment?

Pickford

Garner - Tarkowski - Branthwaite - Young

Gueye

Iwobi - Onana - Doucoure - McNeil

Danjuma​

If DCL is fit maybe him in and Danjuma takes Iwobi's place.

What is it about this place that as soon as you say someone is good, or better than someone else, people immediately jump to "world class"??

Of course he's not world class, but we're not going to be signing anyone who is better than him (when fit).
Well it's just standard football lexicon? I never said you called him world class only that what you were saying would make sense if he was world class but not so much because he isn't. If the recruitment people don't think Toure could keep Dom out of the side EVER then spending 30 million quid on him should be out of the question as far as i'm concerned. Dom is a good player and I like him and you might be right that we wouldn't be able to get somebody who is definitely better than him but we should be able to find strikers who can compete for a place with him and not just accept being second choice because he isn't THAT good.

If DCL is fit maybe him in and Danjuma takes Iwobi's place.

The other day Steve Stone/coach said "It’s not about if Dominic is going to be fit for the first game of the season, it’s can we get Dominic ‘fit fit’ and we mean really fit like he was two years ago so when we play him you go ‘oh yeah.’"

Have a feeling he'll likely not be ready for the Fulham game but we'll see.

By all accounts it wasnt the money we offered that was the issue, the player simply picked the other team.
That's fine and it was always a strong possibility. But that's even more reason to have plenty of alternatives lined up, and a clear plan in place for this scenario. I want to see us have a deal for another forward option lined up in the next week or so. I want to see reasons to believe things are a bit different and we actually have good plans in place. Until we sign forwards, I am going to be pretty concerned about the season ahead.

Lavia, if he avoids serious injuries, will be a top CL standard player within 2 yrs.

Head and shoulders above the rest of the (ok poor) Saints team. Worth double already what Gallagher is imo.
Am I the only one that doesn't rate Lavia? I don't see how he's any better than Onana...

I like the fact everything has gone quiet

Things happening by stealth out of the “media”

or perhaps bog all is happening and Bill’s chucking popcorn

….agree on Keane but think Branthwaite will take his place relatively soon. Nothing I saw of Dyche’s team selection last season indicates Maupay will start a PL game for us, he even picked Gray ahead of him.
Really hope you're right...

I don't want to see Maupay and Keane ever start for us again but it will happen at some point during the season.

The other day Steve Stone/coach said "It’s not about if Dominic is going to be fit for the first game of the season, it’s can we get Dominic ‘fit fit’ and we mean really fit like he was two years ago so when we play him you go ‘oh yeah.’"

Have a feeling he'll likely not be ready for the Fulham game but we'll see.
Didn’t Dyche say the same last season? I agree, but it looks like last chance saloon to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back